UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SAVE the Avengers

Mattallica

I certainly don't bring it up to slag off or laugh at the fella, but was it Loeb who completely lost his way when his young son tragically died?

I think it was him, poor guy.

Seriously, why even bring it up. If it was that then why would Marvel put him in an important postion. I mean, I hate the idea of canceling or dumbing the series but I can see why. Carton's aren't made for adults and the true intention is to sell toys. So, where are the toys?

Chill out, Junky... I made a point of saying I wasn't slagging him off or laughing, just seeking clarification I was thinking of the right guy (as he was being discussed in this thread). Nor was I suggesting it had anything to do with the potential cancellation of this cartoon. I'm a fan, he'll always be the bloke who wrote some of my favourite Batman stuff... I am genuinely apologetic if I did offend anyone for querying his identity, and hope we'll leave it there... on good terms.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this show is amazing, but when it began i was under the impression it was only signed on for 52 episodes, which would be broken up into two seasons. Now im all for it continuing since its my second favorite animated show ever (first is young justice) but i am pissed that jeph loeb has taken over, now his recent x-sanction story was OK, but everything else he has done for the last few years (no personal offense to the guy, just his work) has been chaotically awful...i hope Yost can keep the show great and going strong

I certainly don't bring it up to slag off or laugh at the fella, but was it Loeb who completely lost his way when his young son tragically died?

I think it was him, poor guy.

Seriously, why even bring it up. If it was that then why would Marvel put him in an important postion. I mean, I hate the idea of canceling or dumbing the series but I can see why. Carton's aren't made for adults and the true intention is to sell toys. So, where are the toys?

Chill out, Junky... I made a point of saying I wasn't slagging him off or laughing, just seeking clarification I was thinking of the right guy (as he was being discussed in this thread). Nor was I suggesting it had anything to do with the potential cancellation of this cartoon. I'm a fan, he'll always be the bloke who wrote some of my favourite Batman stuff... I am genuinely apologetic if I did offend anyone for querying his identity, and hope we'll leave it there... on good terms.

Actually i suck at reading, I just reread your comment. I apologize, I took it the wrong way on my intial reading. I see now what your were getting at, asking a question.

I don't recall him losing his way or hearing about it since he was still on his books. It was a while ago, though. I think his son past away from cancer when he was on Superman/Batman. .

I like Loeb too, is everything he does always golden? No, but I really enjoyed his Superman/Batman, Hulk run, and the Marvel Color books. I'm also an Ed Mcguinness mark so that may be why. Now, he was also on Heroes and that show went downhill quickly but I dont recall his involvement was just producing and writing.

Edited by Hawkeye's Junk

Super hero squad is a kid show, isn't this more for teens? I love EMH and its representation of the Marvel brand, I've seen a few SHS and one had the Silver Surfer with the Infinity Gauntlet and he spoke like an actual Cali surfer? It seems to me they had their kid show right there!

• 3 weeks later...

why marvel? why cancel your ONE good all ages show right now? i mean...how does that help you...my only hope is that the new avengers show is more like young justice so at least it will be enjoyable

Sounds like they want a unified animated Marvel Universe as well since the movies have performed so well.

I understand the desire to do stand-alone tales in order to constantly grow an audience but I've honestly NEVER had a problem "catching up" to any Disney shows thanks to OnDemand and the network's willingness to repeat shows over and over and over again. I'll admit that my favorite animated series (Bruce Timm's Batman) was chock full of one-shots but even they did the occasional two- or three-part tale. That didn't destroy the franchise.

And I find it hard to believe that the same network delivering "Tron: Uprising" is truly concerned that these Marvel toons are "too adult." As others have said, Super Hero Squad is for the younger at heart. As with comics, there should be room for more mature fair although I'm sure some would argue that's what the movies are for.

If someone's really worried about confusing viewers, they should take a closer look at the diverse animation styles used in "Ultimate Spider-Man." One second it looks like standard fare, the next it looks like a MAD Magazine parody. If anything is going to give kids nosebleeds, it's THAT show.

I think if we're going to look at Ultimate Spider-Man for anything, it shouldn't be animation variance, it should be that it sucks out loud.

This is crummy news, but I think we all kind of saw it coming. Here's hoping new Avengers show is at least decent. Also please let Hulk Agents of Smash be more about smashing than talking about smashing. I would like that show to be fun.

BOO!

Well that ruins my fun. EMH was one of the best cartoons I've seen in a long time and I'm sad to see it cancelled. This feels like Spectacular Spider-man all over again. You set up this great universe with fun, interesting characters and weave some great stories together paying tribute to the comics and then can it after two amazing seasons. I still haven't watched Ultimate Spider-man, but everyone seems to be saying that it's sub-par at best and if this new Avengers show is going to match up with it, then I think that was a poor decision for Marvel animation.

I know they had to reboot Spider-man's cartoon for some legal reasons (switching licensing or something) but why didn't they just create the new toon to fit with EMH's universe? Then we wouldn't be cancelling EMH to fit Ultimate Spider-man.

This seems like a really desperate attempt to cash in on the movies (new team line up and costumes), but I would have rather just seen them start to incorporate more movie elements into EMH.

But what do I know?

Too bad Marvel Animation doesn't give a damn about those of us that love this series. Wouldn't it be grand if they kept EMH alive via direct to blu-ray / DVD seasons. I know I'd be pre-ordering those. But alas, it's just a fanboy's dream. So sad to see this series die.:sad:

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Not trying to rant but I wish I could punch Marvel in the face. First Wolverine and the X-Men & Spectacular Spider-Man and now Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes? Cancel everything we like. But we still have the comic books! Haha as if.... Nick Jr & Coulson's adventures in Event World!

Young Justice, nuff said.

Hmm. Just found this at another board about Marvel's plans with its animation division. Take it with a grain of salt, though, since I have no idea how reliable the source is:

Regarding Ultimate Spider-Man:

- Marvel knows how much fans hate the show. They know, that they messed up when they could have brought both kids and adults fans together, instead of focusing on the children. Regardless of what their PR BS makes it sound, the reason Ultimate Spider-man has been renewed for a second season, is that the network ordered the second season WAY before the series debut. The publicity stunt Marvel pulled by stating the show has been renewed by popular demand, is just a strategy to try and tell fans that people like this show maybe you should give it a second chance.

- Ratings for the show are not good. He then gave me the following example: If you have 10 people watching a channel, then you introduce a new show, and instantly 200 are watching, but after 2 weeks the number goes down to 60 you still have bad ratings drop, yet its way better than the original 10 they had before the show. Agent X wants you to look at that statement carefully and you will know the “TRUE” meaning of Marvel ratings PR stunt.

- Chances are more than high that Ultimate Spider-man will conclude after season 2. There will be some minor changes to the show during its 2013 season (a bit less in your face humor, a tiny bit more drama, and less scripts from “man of action” while more from Bendis and Dini). If by chance, the fans embrace the show in its second season it will be renewed, otherwise a new Spider-man show will replace it. Early talk about a series in the same tone as the upcoming movie reboot have been discussed, but nothing more than just that: discussion. Agent X also still urges the fans to show their disapproval of the show, since Marvel is listening, although it takes months and years for the company to answer the cries.

Hulk and the Agents of Smash:

- Agent X wants to make sure that people understand that the HULK and the Agents of SMASH is meant for kids, much like Ultimate Spider-man. Which a mistake Marvel is now realizing, but again, way too late.

- After Ultimate Spider-man fan backlash, Marvel is almost certain that hardcore fans are not going to enjoy this show either.

- Unlike Ultimate Spider-man, only 26 episode have been ordered, and to not make the same mistake again, the network will wait on the ratings before ordering a second season of SMASH.

- As mentioned before, the show premise is ACTION, ACTION, ACTION with no place for plot development. The target demographic of the show is boys ages 5-12. So again it seems a disney kids show with Marvel characters.

Regarding Avengers Assemble:

- According to Agent X, Avengers Assemble is the most ambitious TV animation project for marvel, ever. Unlike, Ultimate Spider-man and Hulk Agents of SMASH, the new Avengers show is taking cues from the successful Marvel Cinematic Universe, and from the thousands of angry fans comments towards the direction of Ultimate Spider-man. As a result the new show WILL NOT be in the same universe as Ultimate Spidey, nor is it in the same universe as Hulk and the Agents of SMASH.

- While still a cartoon, Avengers Assemble will be taking itself seriously and trying to appeal to both kids and hardcore fans.

- Marvel is spending money on Avengers Assemble than any other show, so expect high quality animation like never before.

- Wishful talk was made to have the actors from the Avengers movie reprise their roles in the show. But due to high costs, the idea could have been scrapped. Agent X does not know what was the final decision in this matter, but he knows that whoever is voicing the characters will try to sound similar to the movie cast.

- Falcon was chosen to be in the roster, so that fans get familiarized with the character, before his “certain” appearance in the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

- Panther and Antman will join the cast later and a possible Ms Marvel inclusion is also on the table.

- Thanos will feature as a big villain in the show.

2 more Animated Tv projects on the work:

- According to Agent X, 2 more, unannounced Marvel animated TV series are in different stage of production.

- One of these series is a new X-men animated show.

- Not much is known abt the X-men show except that it might have the same tone as Avengers Assemble.

- Agent X either did not want to reveal the second project or did not have enough info.

Regarding Comic con 2012:

- Agent X informed me that Marvel is a bit worried about fans reaction to Ultimate Spider-man on their animation panel.

- There will be undercover Marvel guys who will ask questions to the panelist, praising Ultimate Spider-man, and pretending to be hardcore fans who “supposedly” enjoy the show. While Agent X hates the sneaky plan, he tells me this is very common with almost all companies.

- A full episode of Ultimate Spider-man will be shown at the panel. According to him, it is either a Bendis written episode (Bendis episodes are supposedly good ones) or the a major villain reveal episode (either Green Goblin or Doc Octopus)

- Marvel hopes to show a full episode of Hulk and the Agents of SMASH. If the first episode has not been completed by July, a short 5min clip showing the SMASH agents in action will be shown instead.

- More info regarding Avengers Assemble will be revealed at the Panel, along with character designs, and maybe some test footage(if ready by then).

- Excpect a lot of praise from Jeph Loeb towards ultimate spider-man, and a claim that hardcore marvel fans love it, which of course is BS

Misc:

- Talks of an Avengers vs X-men adaptation is on the table. Agent X does not know if it will be a DTV movie or a crossover between the 2 upcoming tv series of Avengers Assemble and X-men.

- AgentX mentions that Marvel is moving along with new direct to video animated features. More on that in few month, he promises.

- AgentX asks the fans to be patient and to remember that Marvel is a company that listens to the fans. They might have messed up, big time he adds, with Ultimate Spider-man and Hulk agents of SMASH, but the company is learning, and avengers Assemble and the new X-men animated series will prove that. He also mentions the Marvel Cinematic Universe and how awesome it is now after few missteps in the beginning, and asks to have faith in the company, which is really aiming at beating DC animation in both series and DTV’s

- Marvel was so shocked and in awe at the huge number of complaints the company received for Ultimate Spider-man. The company started censoring their social pages (twitter, facebook) to block users from hating on the show, and therefore spreading the hate online.

With all that said, AgentX still asks the fans to voice their love, hate, or criticism towards the Marvel shows, via social media(twitter, facebook, forums, etc). The company does listen and the hate towards ultimate Spider-man is really helping change the upcoming projects and making Avengers Assemble a great show.

Hmmmm.

Edited by Brad Redfield