130 members have voted

1. 1. Avengers vs X-Men

• Cyclops (Phoenix Force)
    • Emma Frost (Phoenix Force)
    • Colossus (Phoenix Force)
    • Phoenix Buster Iron Man
    • Protector
    • Scarlet Witch

From OAFE.net about Fan's Choice polls, not saying it applies to this poll or DST, just something to think about.

"But you want to know a secret? Those polls are all a big scam. It takes up to two years to get a figure from zero to store shelves, so fan votes are basically just PR: the vote decides who gets the sticker, not who gets made. Think about the Star Wars ones: every time a winner is announced, Hasbro comes out and says "oh, but look, we already had your #2 and #3 choices in production, so you'll get those, too!" Really? Hasbro happened to have the fans' second- and third-choice figures in the works, but not the one they wanted most? Yeah, that seems likely."

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait... those aren't the winners? Scrap.

I figured it was a win-win for DST, since the two "losers" were going to turn up in a TRU two pack anyway and a pair of popular X-Men would likely fair better than a pair of 2nd tier (at best) Avengers. (And that's a reference to general public recognition, not fan popularity or in-story importance of said Avengers)

From OAFE.net about Fan's Choice polls, not saying it applies to this poll or DST, just something to think about.

"But you want to know a secret? Those polls are all a big scam. It takes up to two years to get a figure from zero to store shelves, so fan votes are basically just PR: the vote decides who gets the sticker, not who gets made. Think about the Star Wars ones: every time a winner is announced, Hasbro comes out and says "oh, but look, we already had your #2 and #3 choices in production, so you'll get those, too!" Really? Hasbro happened to have the fans' second- and third-choice figures in the works, but not the one they wanted most? Yeah, that seems likely."

Good points, but if that were the case, wouldn't we have the other two Heralds by now? Or wouldn't we have gotten the other two SW characters sooner? I'm not saying you're wrong. It makes a lot of sense. it takes months to get the sculpt together. But DST can slap a tampo on anyone. So I'm just not sure.

Zach certainly seemed to indicate in the 50th wave poll that no one else was planned already if they didn't win.

• 1 month later...

Iron Man designs all look rather silly (what the heck is going on with IM's tiny little head?? I guess he's a giant robot in the comics?).

The Phoenix Buster is a giant sized armor like the Hulk Buster armor. It's a critical part of the story arc, as it is Stark's firing of the Phoenix Buster at Phoenix that causes it to split into five parts and possess Cyclops, Emma, Colossus, Namor, and Magik.

Critical to the story, he said.

Pretty sure the frontrunners we showed at SDCC remained the frontrunners, but I'll check.

Just saw that OAFE.net thing. Minimates development time is much shorter, but we still had to develop all six to make it work, especially since the designs were embargoed and we had to start the poll late. We'll drop the lowest two designs, mix them in later so they're not wasted. Airwalker and Firelord are definitively coming.

Series 50 is legit. I polled characters we had no plans to make, and none of the losers have been scheduled yet. Art has been created for just the winners, plus one just in case.

Series 50 is legit. I polled characters we had no plans to make, and none of the losers have been scheduled yet. Art has been created for just the winners, plus one just in case.

See. this is why I'm not upset that Squirrel Girl wasn't in the poll.

So Zach, if the set sells well, will we see the remaining Phoenix Force that weren't part of the poll possibly?

I'm intrigued, just in case what? :unsure: Oh, and back to the main topic, any idea roughly when we might expect to hear the official results for this poll?

I guess now we know why Namor wasn't in this poll, so that's kind of amusing.

Sorry - i totally missed something here: Why wasn't Namor included? Is he slated for another line-up else-where?

The final line-up shown @ SDCC was PF5 Cyclops, PB IronMan, Scarlet Witch & Protector. The prototypes were on display, but there was a 'no pictures' sign displayed with them. You can, however, glimpse the back of them in this pic from Toyark:

SDCC-2012-Diamond-Select-Toys-026_1342289959.jpg

Hopefully we will see the rest of the PF5 gang... I do love complete teams & i feel like the life-span on the relevancy of this team is going to be a pretty short one.

I wouldn't necessarily call an armor that appeared for less than an issue and served practically one purpose critical.

It's critical to the A v X story arc. It's a no-op outside of that.

You aren't kidding about the life-span of the team.

Emma and Cyclops are the only two members of the Phoenix Force 5 that still have their powers anyways.

Yeah, it was fairly obvious this was the direction the story was going in once fish boy lost his extra mojo.

Are we still allowed to have pics of the protos up? I thought we had them before and they had to be taken down because of the no-photography sign.

Do mods take down pics with "no photography" signs? That's awesome. Thank you mods.

They most likely will. Generally prototypes aren't done in translucent plastic because it's just easier not to or something. I don't mind the sold pink, but I am always for more translucent pieces.

We paint up prototypes using resin castings of sculpted parts sent from the sculptor. They're usually grey, I believe. They don't do special castings in different materials.

I'm intrigued, just in case what? :unsure: Oh, and back to the main topic, any idea roughly when we might expect to hear the official results for this poll?

Just in case we can't do one of the others for some reason? We made the next highest vote getter in one of the categories.

I'll see if the voting on this set is closed. I think it is.

So Zach, if the set sells well, will we see the remaining Phoenix Force that weren't part of the poll possibly?

Let Chuck know you want them! (Ask DST!)

Just in case we can't do one of the others for some reason? We made the next highest vote getter in one of the categories.

Thanks as ever for the info Zach, much appreciated. Still a little intrigued though as to what could cause you to not be able to do one of the others? It sounds like you have a particular character in mind?

Don't worry Tenime - i'm pretty sure that Banshee & Mojo in the comming couple of years. I was honestly surprised to see them in that poll at all (ie: surprised that they weren't being considered already).

I suspect that at least Banshee would have polled reasonably well & would now be being considered for future line-ups more seriously.

Are we still allowed to have pics of the protos up? I thought we had them before and they had to be taken down because of the no-photography sign.

Do mods take down pics with "no photography" signs? That's awesome. Thank you mods.

They most likely will. Generally prototypes aren't done in translucent plastic because it's just easier not to or something. I don't mind the sold pink, but I am always for more translucent pieces.

We paint up prototypes using resin castings of sculpted parts sent from the sculptor. They're usually grey, I believe. They don't do special castings in different materials.

Let Chuck know you want them! (Ask DST!)

So the gray Vorin was just like what the prototype looked like?