130 members have voted

1. 1. Avengers vs X-Men

• Cyclops (Phoenix Force)
    • Emma Frost (Phoenix Force)
    • Colossus (Phoenix Force)
    • Phoenix Buster Iron Man
    • Protector
    • Scarlet Witch

I remember reading something similar he did in Ultimate Spider-Man. I think it was an issue connected to the Sinister Six story. While the concept might have worked, I found it overall to be incredibly annoying and poorly executed. It was generally a terrible and one-dimensional characterization that turned me off of Bendis. I haven't read anything to change that opinion. Granted, I haven't been reading Avengers, so he may have refined the technique. He gets a lot of praise, so I'm willing to give him more chances, but as it is, I see him as a modern writing equivalent of Liefeld: all top heavy shoulder pads with no feet to stand on.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying Protector is not a new character is silly logic especially if you like to buy "New Minimate Character Releases". That's like saying Ronin was not a new character because technically Clint Barton is under the costume or Moon Knight depending on which version you are referencing.

Use common sense, the Protector Costume and Character Name is "New" so it creates a "New Minimate Character Releases". Hope that's clear enough for people who like to buy new minimate figure releases.

Avengers/Protector got my vote!

I remember reading something similar he did in Ultimate Spider-Man. I think it was an issue connected to the Sinister Six story. While the concept might have worked, I found it overall to be incredibly annoying and poorly executed. It was generally a terrible and one-dimensional characterization that turned me off of Bendis. I haven't read anything to change that opinion. Granted, I haven't been reading Avengers, so he may have refined the technique. He gets a lot of praise, so I'm willing to give him more chances, but as it is, I see him as a modern writing equivalent of Liefeld: all top heavy shoulder pads with no feet to stand on.

Now, I haven't read the Avengers issues in question, so I can't say if the gimmick works or not... but I suspect I'd feel much like you do, Turtle. It reminds me of when he brought in thought balloons in Mighty Avengers. :yucky:

Every time I try to vote in this poll it doesn't work. I click, "Vote Now" and am taken to a broken page. And I've tried it on a couple different browsers and an iphone.

Also can't view the the full art, just the headshots on the first page.

Since yesterday.

Edited by Gillbob316

Every time I try to vote in this poll it doesn't work. I click, "Vote Now" and am taken to a broken page. And I've tried it on a couple different browsers and an iphone.

Also can't view the the full art, just the headshots on the first page.

Since yesterday.

Portrait of an Addiction's link works, that's where i went via Google. Our link is broken. Ironic?

Have you read any of his Avengers work at all? Or just nothing recent? Every writer has something they've done that didn't work, but I admire the way Bendis will play with format and try not to tell a standard story. And I must admit, I love his banter.

my current view on comic book writers:

Hickman: No nonsense good story writer

Bendis: Kinda modern writer who goes way deeper in characterization, wants to be at Joss Whedon level

Millar (Mark): Guy who is great at making me realize the real world is terrifying but hilarious

Millar (Frank): Guy who is great at making me realize everything is terrifying

Alan Moore: Is Terrifying

Scott Snyder: "Elementary my dear Watson" kind of writer

Jason Aaron: Fun with some depth

Dan Slott: Fun with some depression

Fraction: Good at blowing things up, then explaining why

Geoff Johns: Poster boy

Whedon: God among men

Heinberg: Whedon among men

Loeb: why is he here, i thought i was talking about writers?

forgot a few: but....this was long enough as it is :P

Edited by undeadpool

Weeeell... finally got my vote in. Thank you for the help/links btw.

Normally I'm the type of person who favors X-Men, but I've never been one for overly-specific and specialized looks... so the three Phoenixes really aren't up my alley. Iron Man isn't so much either, same reason, but I generally give his armors a LITTLE more wiggle room, because even if they can't be displayed as a "Main" Tony, Hall of Armor still works... but conversely, not much appeal in a "Hall of Cyclops" display... lol... though strangely I do have enough of them for it, teehee...

ANYWAY... based on that way my brain filters, Protector and Witch were really the only two options for me, and like others in this thread, I really don't know diddly-squat about Protector (He was still Captain Marvel last time I read comics regularly, and I didn't know much about him then either)... so I voted for Witch.

I assume not voting for Protector won't hurt his chances too badly.

I voted for Protector, hoping that enough people are going to vote for Scarlet Witch. Too bad this wasn't like the Wave 50 poll, where you get 2 votes.

I wish the choices were more Avengers-centric than the 50/50 split, we could potentially end up with 2 AvX sets each with Cyclops, Emma and Colossus.

Have you read any of his Avengers work at all? Or just nothing recent? Every writer has something they've done that didn't work, but I admire the way Bendis will play with format and try not to tell a standard story. And I must admit, I love his banter.

Well, I wouldn't say that formal play or invention is a strength of Bendis as a writer; as a matter of fact, I'd say that one of his big drawbacks is that almost all of his work reads the same. There's a fine line between "having a style" and 'having no versatility", and I think Bendis falls on the latter side. As for his banter, well, to each their own, but I generally feel that he forces characters to fit his dialog, rather then adapting his dialog to fit the characters, if you know what I mean. He seems to just blindly ignore long-established personalities, which I don't think is a good trait for the guy that's basically been the architect of the Marvel Universe for the last decade. Say what you want about Geoff Johns, but at least he's devoted to the characters (even if it's sometimes to his detriment). Hey, Bendis has been very successful; he's turned the Avengers into the spine of the Marvel Universe, something no one else has managed to do. But, for all his success, he's a very, very flawed writer.

Oooh. I love Wanda's hex hands! Protector looks nifty- love those guns. That Iron Man is kind of ridiculous, in a good way. The accessories for Scott and Emma look really well designed. I always love seeing new control art.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/avxscarlet.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner.

This don't look too bad in my opinion:

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/avxironman2.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

Iron Man almost looks like a bad transformer knock-off. It's like his head is barely peeking out over his fat suit.

It reminds me of some of the Halo Minimates, where the larger pieces are over-designed to where pieces fall off everytime you try to move them.

i really REALLY hope Colossus and Emma dont make the cut now, no offense to them, they do look great, but those other four are some of the most beautifully accessorized minimates ive ever scene :D

The big fire part on Cyclops's chest comes off?! And can be put on Jean Grey!? Yes please. Honestly, after seeing this art, the only one I feel I don't need is Colossus. Scarlet Witch's hex hands are amazing. Protector's guns look awesome. If they go into the belt holsters somehow even better. Those blisters just scream Han Solo to me, so that's awesome. Iron Man is just ridiculous. I have to assume that's a little tiny head sculpted on the the chest armor, because otherwise it make no sense, his standard head seems like it should be basically right in the center of whatever that giant circle thing in the center is. Crazy. Awesome. Want all now please. A Magik / Namor pack down the road would be really awesome too. I would rather have her over Colossus, really. But this set, no matter who wins, will be worth it for new pieces alone. Astonishing.

I honestly can't decide if I like that Ironman or not. The thought of a Phoenix Killer IM is a cool thought, but the design sheet makes it look... odd. And it might be strange having a tiny head and opening it up to see a regular (comparatively giant) mate inside. I'm still excited by it and I hope he wins. I bet Timbo is excited (I wish he'd come back)

Anyone have scans of what that looks like in the comic?