• Mindless Ones
    • Nova Corps Centurions
    • Stepford Cuckoos
    • Warwolves

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would break the "one one-and-done character per box set" rule though.

AoX

FF

Thor: Stormbreaker

Uncanny X-force

Heroic Age(s)

Uncanny 90s

That rule broke a LONG time ago. And, if it held up, you'd never get Wasp, ever, technically.

Yes, not all box sets follow that rule. But those that do have one character just for that set that won't be released any other way. Thunderbird, Jewel, Hope, Sif, Kang, Grim Reaper, Basilisk, Hydroman, Ultimate Green Goblin, Valkyrie, Nitro, ect ect ect

Basilisk is just Cyclops, Goblin is Goblin, and Sif is still Sif even if it's movie Sif.

The rule can't still be around if there's so many exceptions. Just because several still haven't been redone doesn't mean it's in effect when there's so many that have.

I didn't even know that rule. I think when a toy line has been around for ten years, and character popularity has shifted all over the place, and everybody has two or three different looks, that not repeating a figure that has been in a box set seems like an odd rule. Were certain characters in box sets designated as never being made again? How were they chosen? Was it one per set? Was this officially stated somewhere?

Whilst it would be true to say that by & large many Marvel box sets have characters that remain unique (not re-released yet)......... Hydroman,Valkyrie,Nitro ,Dr.Strange & Thunderbird come to mind..... I think it is a bit of an urban myth that 'one is done' is an actual rule. I perhaps feel that it is Thunderbird from GSX that might be the basis of this 'myth' as he was the only character that was not immediately re-released from that set .....everybody (a lot of people anyway :rolleyes: ) seems to have thought that good ol' Nightcrawler was the rarity :no: .

If it is a rule then it is a stupid one...if were gonna have a rule then it should be 'if it is re-released it should be better than the original' . ;)

Making a 'better' Dr.Strange & Valkyrie would be one hell of a task.

Lo! Behold the word of the Minimatanomicon, The Book of Dino, 20:12:

Each Box Set shall contain One Character who shall not be Reproduced in any form henceforth, for such Reproduction shall be considered an Abomination in the eyes of the Multiverse

Yea MinimateMultiVerse!

Edited by Lobsterman

I've got to make better decrees... :whistling:

Zach, it came out as a "rule" back about wave 14 or so, that a box set contained a character that wouldn't normally be done otherwise, and probably wouldn't be seen again. That's how we got Hydroman, Nitro and Jewel. I'm not saying we should stick with it. Just here again is something that used to be true and no longer is. Like Variants.

It may have come from Matt or Chuck.

In all seriousness, a long ways back Chuck had said they try to fit in one character that is unlikely to be remade, making it a "one and done;" i believe it was in a Q and A.

Obviously...it isn't really relevant anymore.

So all this means we ARE getting a new Thunderbird! Right?

Edited by Gillbob316

In all seriousness, a long ways back Chuck had said they try to fit in one character that is unlikely to be remade, making it a "one and done;" i believe it was in a Q and A.

Obviously...it isn't really relevant anymore.

So all this means we ARE getting a new Thunderbird! Right?

Yep! But you need to sit through 3 variations of Jessica Jones and Meggans. :pinch:

But you need to sit through 3 variations of Jessica Jones and Meggans.

Cool! I will buy them all! :biggrin:

Just here again is something that used to be true and no longer is. Like Variants.

Uh, no, sorry Dinobot. I'm assuming it was you that Q&A'd about this back in December, and Chuck was very clear that the rule hasn't changed, you were just misinterpreting it...

Y’all have very obviously given up on the “no variant re-releases” rule that. I don’t blame you, it was outdated and defunct. With the new retro wave coming up, it’s a smart move for newer fans. So here’s my issue. That rule has never actually been rescinded. Could y’all please just say “we’ll release whatever is best at the time” and leave it at that? It’s a toothless tiger at this point, but it’s making your company a bunch of hypocrites and it’s driving me crazy (Just look at the thread on MMMV). This is just my last final plea in the dark. Otherwise, no jerky cookies at C2E2! Thanks!

DSTChuck: I have no idea what you’re talking about we’ve never re-released any short packs. We might do that character again or something but we’ve never done a straight re-release. There has never been a change in the MM promises from the start (never less than one per case, no re-releases of the exact same two pack, one scale, no re-issues of short packs). YES the best of wave is for new fans and that’s why we did not number it. Sam maybe it’s not DST driving you crazy – just a thought.

How does "we try to fit in one character per box set that's unlikely to be remade" translate into "characters that were made in box sets shall never be made again", and that being some kind of rule? Sometimes I think you guys make up these rules to give yourselves something to complain about....:rolleyes:

Edited by hellpop

We definitely don't re-release variants. But then, we don't do straight re-releases of anything. Not sure if that's a loophole or cheating or just really awesome. If you count making a much better/slightly different version as a re-release... well, that's a problem.

Is collection value a concern for people here? Like, our making a better Jewel or Nitro is gonna make the original Jewel or Nitro worth less? I see more concerns over Minimates being hard to find than having their rarity threatened.

Edited by Zach Oat

We definitely don't re-release variants. But then, we don't do straight re-releases of anything. Not sure if that's a loophole or cheating or just really awesome. If you count making a much better/slightly different version as a re-release... well, that's a problem.

Is collection value a concern for people here? Like, our making a better Jewel or Nitro is gonna make the original Jewel or Nitro worth less? I see more concerns over Minimates being hard to find than having their rarity threatened.

I seem to remember some teeth gnashing from some people over perceived destroyed value in one or more cases. I wonder if its because people had to pay high prices in the first place to get that rare 'mate and not because the once appreciated, now depreciated monetary value of their collection.

If you're collecting these as an investment, you're collecting for the wrong reasons.

I seem to remember some teeth gnashing from some people over perceived destroyed value in one or more cases. I wonder if its because people had to pay high prices in the first place to get that rare 'mate and not because the once appreciated, now depreciated monetary value of their collection.

If you're collecting these as an investment, you're collecting for the wrong reasons.

That's happened in a couple cases, most notably (for me, at least) Nightcrawler, Black Spidey and the second Spider-Woman. Would I have paid $20-40 for these figures if I'd known another version would come along? Probably not. But it's not that big a deal, ultimately. It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be like if DST ever redid Stealth Iron Man, though.

Edited by hellpop

I've never really had that problem, since I've been collecting these since wave 1. I've never had to pay a REALLY ridiculous price, because I've been around to buy pretty much everything new.

There were a couple odd exceptions... when something got rare much quicker than usual, and the price went up fast. Warpath and Angely outliers. But the vast majority I've paid normal prices for.

PS. They have redone Stealth Iron Man. Twice. Once as a movie figure, once in Marvel vs Capcom 3. They both look much different, but that comes with the territory of updates and is to be expected. The MvC3 one is technically an update of the comic book version though, for all intents and purposes.