UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates Wave 51: Marvel NOW!

Jatta Pake

Wave 51 and 52 coming before Wave 50? Apparently the idea of being released neck-in-neck has been tossed out.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hopefully all the fans who voted for Series 50 will have their pre-orders picked up by their next of kin. And the dollar theaters will still have The Wolverine on their tiny screens. wolverine.gifninja.gifninja.gif

Snarkiness aside, the variables in licensing, sales, production, trans-Pacific AND transcontinental shipping will always lead to slipped dates -- unless you're some huge multinational who builds elaborate marketing plans around the timed release of a product, and you have the resources to make sure that doesn't happen. Aside from the big guys having toys out in time for Christmas, no collectible toy company really does that.

I suppose we could stop trying to be current with what's going on in the Marvel Universes (comic and cinematic) to make the timeliness less of a factor. And cancel all fan polls to prevent fan decrepitude. But we'll probably keep trying to be the most up-to-date Marvel toy line out there. thumbsup.gif

We know the delays aren't intentional, Zach, and of course the snark is just snark. For me, though, the biggest frustration is seeing published ship dates – not off-hand comments on the forum, but official communications from the company on your own site and Facebook – that turn out to be complete nonsense. I mean, sure, everyone should know to take dates for something that's still several months out with a grain of salt, but when a date gets published saying something is shipping within two weeks, then that date turns out to be a month or more off, I have to question whether putting these dates out there is doing more harm than good. You've put the disclaimer on there for stores not to follow them as billing dates, so there's obviously a wink and a nod to retailers, so who is actually intended to be consuming these dates, and to what end?

I'm sorry, I know I harp on this every time we get close to releases. I guess it doesn't make much difference in the end, as we all get our Minimates eventually. It sure doesn't make the waiting any easier, though...

The estimated ship date list is generated so retailers can get a general plan for the year, plan out budgets and make space accordingly in their store. We make them available to the customers so they can do the same, but an individual's finances (and proximity to a comic book store) are more subject to change than those of a retailer, who is in a permanent location and has already paid for the items. (I believe; I'm not positive how DCD handles that.) So scheduling changes have more of an effect on the day-to-day plans of individual than a business, although a business has more invested and more to lose in the long term.

And I actually say "don't use those dates as billing dates" for the benefit of customers who order from our store (or any store). People who order from the store expect to have that charge go through on that exact date, and when it doesn't happen on schedule, they sometimes don't have that money in their account when it DOES happen, and the order is cancelled. It's an unfortunate situation, so maybe I need to phrase it better.

Edited by DSTZach

We give general estimates when we solicit, usually six months out, but things begin to affect those dates from the prototype stage onward, so there can be a snowball effect. Sometimes we solicit items that are much further along, and they show up sooner.

I suppose we could stop trying to be current with what's going on in the Marvel Universes (comic and cinematic) to make the timeliness less of a factor.

You do realize that there are plenty of people that would be perfectly happy if that's what you guys did, right?tongue.png

I suppose we could stop trying to be current with what's going on in the Marvel Universes (comic and cinematic) to make the timeliness less of a factor.

If this meant opening the door for older Marvel Movies like X2: X-Men United and Spider-Man 2, I am all for this! :D

Oft have I thought what two pack or four pack I would want from those early Marvel flicks:

Blade 1: Wesley Snipes and Stephen Dorf

Blade 2: Wesley Snipes, Chris Chistopherson, Ron Perlman, and the Super Vampire

Blade 3: Wesly Snipes and Jessica Biel

Spider-Man 1: Tobey McGuire, Willem Defoe

Spider-Man 2: Tbey McGuire, Alfred Molina, Stan Lee and J.K. Simmons

OR Spider-Man 3 bonus: Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina

X-Men: Patrick Stewart, Ian McClellan, Anna Paquin and Ray Park

X2: The Ashmore twin, Rebecca Romijn, James Marsden, and Alan Cumming

X3 bonus: Ellen Page and Aaron Stanford

Ghost Rider: Nicholas Cage, a Motorcycle, Sam Elliot, Peter Fonda

Ghost Rider, Spirit of Vengence: Don't bother with mates unless we get a bike ;)

Fantastic Four: Jessica Alba, Jullian McMohan, Stan Lee and Michael Chiklis

Fantastic Four, Rise of the Silver Surfer: Chris Evans, Ioan Gruffudd, Kerry Washington, Doug Jones

Daredevil: Ben Afflek, Jennifer Garner, Michael Clark Duncan and Colin Ferrell

Elektra: Jennifer Garner and Terence Stamp

Iron Man bonus: Yinsen and Dummy

Iron Man 2 bonus: Final Battle Whiplash and DJ Adam Goldstein (watch the bonus features)

Iron Man 3 bonus: Igor, Red Snapper, Final battle "Mandarin" and Final Battle Pepper Potts

Thor bonus: Hogun and Fandral

Captain America bonus: Zola and Tommy Lee Jones

The Avengers bonus: Bruce Banner and The Other

Incredible Hulk bonus: bulk Hulk and bulk Abomination

Nick Fury, Agent if SHIELD: David Hasselhoff and Lisa Rinna

If you look at that list, DST has done an incredible job with the Movie universe so far! If only they could come back to movie merchandise at a later date.

Thanks for reading ~O6

You do realize that there are plenty of people that would be perfectly happy if that's what you guys did, right?tongue.png

Lol. That's funny actually cos I was thinking much the same thing! Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool to get modern versions from current events etc but when the sad day comes when the marvel minimates line finally ends I want to have classic versions of all my favourite heroes and villains much more.