UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates Wave 51: Marvel NOW!

Jatta Pake

I would probably have to set up a direct deposit into Luke's account if a comics based army builder dump was released.

I hope that a Marvel comics dump isn't too closely tied to the success of a non-Marvel dump release. Those really seem like apples and oranges to me. And the Movie releases don't seem to match up very well either. I army build pretty much every figure that's meant to be bought in multiples. And while I don't dislike all of the Marvel movies, they don't exactly excite me either. Four of five of each has been enough for me to feel like I have it covered with movie based army builders. With the exception of the Chitauri, I should add. But I would buy a ton of SHIELD Agents, (or AIM, Skrulls, Kree, Hydra, etc...), if they were at the army dump price point and I wasn't stuck with an extra figure that I didn't want/need multiples of.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to say that I greatly appreciate that DST seems to be building the two packs with an eye towards army building. I am so much happier getting a SHIELD agent with a figure like Nick Fury Jr. that can be converted to Agent Rogers (especially since it includes his face and transparent shield) and with Maria Hill that can be easily customized to a generic female SHIELD agent or a different character. This is such a big improvement over past waves where SHIELD agents were partnered with Aunt May and J. Jonah Jameson figures. Not knocking those figures, but this is so much better. I can easily see myself buying two copies of each two-pack without feeling like I'm being forced into buying figures I don't want.

If this is the plan for future army figures (which it appears to be based on the Captain America wave with the Hydra soldiers), I will be very happy.

Maybe a suggestion would be to partner a soldier with a transformation figure. Something like partnering an AIM beekeeper with an ABomb figure that easily converts into a Rick Jones and a Red She Hulk that converts into Betty or something. Just throwing those out off the top of my head.

Also, maybe stack the army figures with lots of accessories (similar to Deadpool) so that you can arm the soldiers with different devices. One with a flame thrower, one with a machine gun, etc.

The AIM soldiers really ought to be common especially as there are two versions devil.gif , I prefer the TRU version .

I've said it before but Wave 25 was a bastard to get hold of when it was first released........lots of problems with certain retailers (pre-Luke)...... so I've never been sure how many got sold but I feel that their relative scarcity suggests that the answer would be 'not enough' .

'Walking Dead' seems like the obvious dumper to me.

There are multiple versions of the Reavers. The original Aussie X-Men villains and then the newer cyborg enhanced Anti-Mutant humans organized by Donald Pierce during the Messiah Complex story.

The_New_Reavers.jpg

Although, I would be perfectly fine with getting classic Reavers like Bonebreaker, Skullbuster, Pretty Boy, etc and a generic "Reaver" army builder.

Bonebreaker would be one of the coolest Minimates ever made. Throw in a Skullbuster, Pretty Boy, and a beat to hell Wolverine with a big X cross to stick him to and you would have a nice little box set.

Edited by pk13

It always bugs me when companies quote "numbers" as a way of shooting down ideas as though they are equal.

It always bugs me when toy collectors think that we create toys in a vacuum. We invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in this stuff -- we need data. eBay sales aren't equal to wholesale, and we have to look at what products retailers have ordered in the past to decide what to make in the future. Obviously, they are not the exact same thing, but in many retailers' minds, I'm sure they are.

I don't think anyone here is as passionate about movie Frost Giants or movie Hydra designs as they are about classic comic designs. Neither the Hydra soldiers or the Frost Giants were that big of a deal in the movies. They didn't demand amassing huge armies of them.

Here, maybe not, but in the world, there are more people seeing these movies than have ever read a Marvel comic book. And in the movies, I think both Hydra and the Frost Giants (and the IM2 drones) were a pretty big deal.

Sorry if you want to keep them in the 2-packs to keep up their sales, but I know I'd buy even more army builders if I didn't have to keep getting redundant characters with them.

I think keeping up sales is the goal of every toy company. And nobody is arguing that YOU and many of the people here would buy more army builders if they were singles, the question is: How many are you? And are background comic book characters the best group of characters to be offered this way?

Honestly, the best thing possible to do for dump cases is have more than one faction in them. Make it at least two sides in every dump case. Shield vs AIM, Shield vs Hydra, Skrulls Vs Kree, Sentinels vs Reavers. Take the Lego approach, where each box is a complete battle experience. Sure people will buy individuals, but buying a whole case gives you at least two opposing armies.

I've suggested as many as four factions in a dump case, but doing an X vs. X theme is a pretty cool idea. I still think we'll need to see a media tie-in that makes sense for it to ever happen.

Just want to say that I greatly appreciate that DST seems to be building the two packs with an eye towards army building. I am so much happier getting a SHIELD agent with a figure like Nick Fury Jr. that can be converted to Agent Rogers (especially since it includes his face and transparent shield) and with Maria Hill that can be easily customized to a generic female SHIELD agent or a different character. This is such a big improvement over past waves where SHIELD agents were partnered with Aunt May and J. Jonah Jameson figures. Not knocking those figures, but this is so much better. I can easily see myself buying two copies of each two-pack without feeling like I'm being forced into buying figures I don't want.

If this is the plan for future army figures (which it appears to be based on the Captain America wave with the Hydra soldiers), I will be very happy.

Maybe a suggestion would be to partner a soldier with a transformation figure. Something like partnering an AIM beekeeper with an ABomb figure that easily converts into a Rick Jones and a Red She Hulk that converts into Betty or something. Just throwing those out off the top of my head.

Also, maybe stack the army figures with lots of accessories (similar to Deadpool) so that you can arm the soldiers with different devices. One with a flame thrower, one with a machine gun, etc.

All great ideas! I'd love for us to do more transformation figures, and I think the Nick Fury Jr. figure is along that theme, as well. Glad you like Series 54's setup, although I would think Strucker and Viper would be examples of characters you only need one of. Do you plan to modify your extras into other characters, or other HYDRA officers?

... If you could wait a year or two and get every Minimate for half price, why collect new toys?

Because if we did that, DST would stop making them? thumbsup.gif

My point exactly! Obviously, people who want toys generally want toys NOW, but if there wasn't at least the possibility of a toy getting more expensive over time, I think you'd see fewer impulse purchases. I can't count the number of times I've bought something because I thought I'd never see it for retail price again. Of course, I was wrong a lot.

There's an inherent good feeling that comes with paying full price for a product that ultimately supports a line and company that you want to see succeed.

Not everybody buys out of a sense of obligation or goodwill. Not everybody can afford to. If someone can get a toy cheaper somewhere else, or by waiting a little, they will (if they have the patience).

Edited by DSTZach

Me ? I like facts .

Here's one guy's ebay auctions .....a recent snapshot in time..... nice pictures ,no BS,all starting at $0.99 (i think?) with plenty of bidders.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=minimates&item=321190342703&pt=US_Action_Figures&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&hash=item4ac86fb02f&_ssn=minimate72494&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.Xminimates+lot&_nkw=minimates+lot&_sacat=0

Most of those would be candidates for a dump ,make your own minds up if they'd sell .....again !

It always bugs me when companies quote "numbers" as a way of shooting down ideas as though they are equal.

It always bugs me when toy collectors think that we create toys in a vacuum. We invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in this stuff -- we need data. eBay sales aren't equal to wholesale, and we have to look at what products retailers have ordered in the past to decide what to make in the future. Obviously, they are not the exact same thing, but in many retailers' minds, I'm sure they are.

I don't think anyone here is as passionate about movie Frost Giants or movie Hydra designs as they are about classic comic designs. Neither the Hydra soldiers or the Frost Giants were that big of a deal in the movies. They didn't demand amassing huge armies of them.

Here, maybe not, but in the world, there are more people seeing these movies than have ever read a Marvel comic book. And in the movies, I think both Hydra and the Frost Giants (and the IM2 drones) were a pretty big deal.

Sorry if you want to keep them in the 2-packs to keep up their sales, but I know I'd buy even more army builders if I didn't have to keep getting redundant characters with them.

I think keeping up sales is the goal of every toy company. And nobody is arguing that YOU and :many of the people here would buy more army builders if they were singles, the question is: How many are you? And are background comic book characters the best group of characters to be offered this way?

Honestly, the best thing possible to do for dump cases is have more than one faction in them. Make it at least two sides in every dump case. Shield vs AIM, Shield vs Hydra, Skrulls Vs Kree, Sentinels vs Reavers. Take the Lego approach, where each box is a complete battle experience. Sure people will buy individuals, but buying a whole case gives you at least two opposing armies.

I've suggested as many as four factions in a dump case, but doing an X vs. X theme is a pretty cool idea. I still think we'll need to see a media tie-in that makes sense for it to ever happen.

Maybe a suggestion would be to partner a soldier with a transformation figure. Som'ething like partnering an AIM beekeeper with an ABomb figure that easily converts into a Rick Jones and a Red She Hulk that converts into Betty or something. Just throwing those out off the top of my head.

All great ideas! I'd love for us to do more transformation figures, and I think the Nick Fury Jr. figure is along that theme, as well. Glad you like Series 54's setup, although I would think Strucker and Viper would be examples of characters you only need one of. Do you plan to modify your extras into other characters, or other HYDRA officers?

... If you could wait a year or two and get every Minimate for half price, why collect new toys?

Because if we did that, DST would stop making them? thumbsup.gif

My point exactly! Obviously, people who want toys generally want toys NOW, but if there wasn't at least the possibility of a toy getting more expensive over time, I think you'd see fewer impulse purchases. I can't count the number of times I've bought something because I thought I'd never see it for retail price again. Of course, I was wrong a lot.

There's an inherent good feeling that comes with paying full price for a product that ultimately supports a line and company that you want to see succeed.

Not everybody buys out of a sense of obligation or goodwill. Not everybody can afford to. If someone can get a toy cheaper somewhere else, or by waiting a little, they will (if they have the patience).

You know how in the most recent wolverine and deadpool sets the promo photos show five figures where ironpool and space wolvie have simple figures underneath their bulked up shells? I wish Strucker and Viper had simple Hydra cannon fodder foot soldiers underneath. That would entice this particular subset of buyers to buy multiple copies of the two packs.

As to the movie vs. comic army figures - I think the movie based figures may have higher initial interest when the movie is fresh but also a shorter shelf life. They could be considered timely.

The comics versions however could be considered timeless. Maybe they wouldn't have the initial sales volume but they also wouldn't sit on the shelves for very long.

I personally would be inclined to grab an extra set just because they were there when I was shopping for the newest wave.

I'm sure this has been suggested or discussed before, so, apologies:

Along the lines of "transformation" figures, maybe-- if there was some way to pack incentive for both movie-goers and comic fans into more (movie) waves... IE movie Viper transforms into comic Viper. As someone who falls into the comic fan AND collector group, I'd haaaave to buy two to appease my completist nature, and it would please all camps!

Edited by emperorshotz

Me ? I like facts .

Here's one guy's ebay auctions .....a recent snapshot in time..... nice pictures ,no BS,all starting at $0.99 (i think?) with plenty of bidders.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=minimates&item=321190342703&pt=US_Action_Figures&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&hash=item4ac86fb02f&_ssn=minimate72494&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.Xminimates+lot&_nkw=minimates+lot&_sacat=0

Most of those would be candidates for a dump ,make your own minds up if they'd sell .....again !

I'm not denying we'd sell some, or that it's a good idea, or that I'd want some. I just don't know if army-building is as widespread as everyone here thinks, and if it could support a full release of figures. When you think about it, that list of auctions shows just a small number of people interested in army-building. That's 43 army builder figure lot auctions, all successfully completed in the span of a month. I don't know if he listed any last month, but he listed those all on the same day. But that guy is the only one selling Minimate army lots on eBay! Seriously, I only found five more within the past month, two of them Marvel.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=minimates+lot&item=321190342703&pt=US_Action_Figures&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&hash=item4ac86fb02f&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xminimates+lot+army&_nkw=minimates+lot+army&_sacat=0

And a lot of bids is always good, but you have to cut each of those numbers in half to get the number of interested people, and most were bidding on multiple sets, and I think the same person won a lot of those. So how many people are we talking about here? 100? It may represent a sliver of the possible audience, but we need the retailers to feel it as well, and I'm not sure they'd all get it.

Edited by DSTZach

I agree with you, Zach; I've never thought the army builder dump is as big a slam-dunk as a lot of people think, for two reasons: I don't think everyone army builds; and I don't think retailers would get behind it. Rather then thinking "Great! A case full of soldiers! Everyone will buy more then one!", I think retailers would be more inclined to think "they're all the same guy! Who's going to want those?".

It's a mistake to assume that everyone has the same buying habits, and it would be a mistake to think that everyone likes having lots of troopers just because a few people do. I think that the system you guys have hit on (packing the ABs with variants) is pretty great, and I think the idea of adding more transforming characters is really smart.

I think part of the reason why you don't see so many army builder auctions on eBay is because army building isn't exactly easy to do, the people that do collect armies generally won't part with them.

Maybe not a full retail release, but if army builders were offered as some sort of fan-club online exclusive where you could order as much as you please, that would be fantastic.

...army building isn't exactly easy to do...

I think that's a pretty big point in army building Minimates. In most other lines, you can buy single or multiple figures and build specific armies. If you're a Star Wars collector then you can purchase a Stormtrooper, Joe collectors can buy a Cobra Trooper, etc... And if you look at a lot of the collections of people that collect those lines, you generally see at least a small-moderate group of army builders. Even with kids it seems that way. Most lines don't produce an equal number of villains to heroes so kids and collectors alike seem to buy extra generic bad guys so the good guys have someone to fight and/or have a more balanced looking display/diorama.

But that doesn't seem to be the case as much with Minimates. It would seem to have more to do with the way the army builders are packaged. If you use an above example, it doesn't seem like as many people would buy a second, third, twentieth Stormtrooper if they had to also purchase a second, third, twentieth Vader or Emperor to go along with the army builder. The first package sure. Maybe even the second and third if the non-AB has alternate looks or lots of accessories... which is something that I feel like DST is starting to do a really good job with as far as the last few waves are concerned. But at some point people don't want all of the extra figures to get what they do want, which is the AB. The only way around it is to hit up ebay and that usually prices a good amount of people out of the market.

That's why I've been a proponent of AB dumps and AB box sets. It cuts out the glut of extra stuff that someone would almost definitely want one of, maybe two, but not excessive multiples. I don't really know the fix for it in regular waves given the two pack nature of the line. Maybe make custom cases that have army builder two packs in them? Have a set of four regular two packs to complete a wave then eight army builder two packs to finish off the case. Although the different packaging needed for the AB two pack would probably cost out over what would be worth it for DST. Maybe change the case ratio to non-AB figures that would normally be packed with the ABs come together in a two pack and then have an AB two pack. Possibly change it to 3-3-2-4 in case you think the more obscure variant figure wouldn't sell. I don't know. It just seems to me that army builders would sell very well in a different configuration.

Like I said, we'll see if army-building opinions change going forward. Maybe we can figure something out.

I'll ask about the Skrull/Brood, but I would think we would have re-issued it by now.

You did reissue the Skrulls in a 3 pack and with a re-paint MS Elektra to tie-in with the Secret Invasion?

http://www.1upcollectibles.com/assets/images/dcd377974.jpg and http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/df6/df6b677b-d0ea-4a89-bb4b-e2b1650a4a3b.jpg