UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Backseat Minimate Hobby

Hey Guys,

At the start of this year i started rebuying minimates at a ferocious level, i snapped up every good deal i could get my grubby little hands on, as some of you are aware i have suffered with Crohns disease for the last 10 years or so of my life, this has reduced my ability to work, almost to the point where i was house bound and lost my independence. Anyway some time in November i became ill again, and almost spent a full recovery stint in hospital, my GP put me on an alternative medication and it seems to be working wonders for me at the moment.

So much so that some time after my birthday this year (In April) I managed to get talking to an old work colleague, he mentioned if i was looking for work he could pass my number and details over to his supervisor and that i could get an interview for work, taking nothing to chance i jumped at it, with the illness under moderate control and me able to use public transport in confidence i successfully applied for the job and i'm now working.

Make no mistake about it, whilst this job is something that i'd of probably done at 19 or 20 years of age, it would be considered by most as a step back, but for me it is a great new beginning, it is vital i give this my best shot, as my career cv looks devastatingly blank since 02/03 when i last worked. I am proud to be working again, and see this as a big opportunity, not only to prove to myself and my new employers, but also to so called friends locally that doubted me, Obviously because of this change in circumstance, yes.. Bruce Wayne (The Batcave Project) will have more money to spend, however updates and progress will now only be once a Sunday or sometimes maybe even not at all, the hobby in general will take a massive backseat as i focus on working full time.

I have really really enjoyed my time here, and thank everyone who was so friendly to me on the forum, i'm not leaving, its just my sign ins and online social will be limited to evenings and wk'end access. So if i am slow to respond to threads or slow to respond to PM's please be patient, if you're in any doubt at all send me a F/R on facebook, as i can access that on my phone anyway even during lunch breaks etc, part of this decision has been influenced alot from my change in circumstances but i wont BS you, the recent bad deal on ebay took a massive chunk of confidence in my buying ability and because of the time it has taken to process the orders i had with them, i am now past the excitement stage, the new figures i got have gone into storage with my other minimate stuff under my bed, in my own opinion for me to be influenced or inspired to do something with them i have to take a step back again before i take a step forward.

I'll still sign into the forums and contribute where i feel i can, i hope everyone gets the minimates they wanted this year for their collections. :biggrin:

In friendship

Rich

Best of luck to you in the new job. Take it one day at a time.

I hope you'll still poke your head in here once and again. I've enjoyed seeing the progress on the Batcave. Remember, even if you're putting your all into your new work opportunities, you still deserve some time for personal expression and enjoyment!

Hey Rich, first off its good to know things are looking up for you. I hope you can stop in still and stay a part of our community. I'd love to know more about your Crohns treatment. I have a cousin who has suffered with it for most of her life. If I can do anything for you, let me know.

Hey, a job's a job these days, and I'm very glad to hear you found one. Glad things are moving in a positive direction. I hope you keep us updated on your Baxter Building project when you have the time, and glad to hear you plan on sticking around.

Hey Rich, first off its good to know things are looking up for you. I hope you can stop in still and stay a part of our community. I'd love to know more about your Crohns treatment. I have a cousin who has suffered with it for most of her life. If I can do anything for you, let me know.

My treatment, in what way? Ask away and i will explain everything i've undergone from beginning to end. :biggrin:

In the beginning I was admitted to hospital with a Chest Infection when i was 19 or so, through identifying my symptoms they told me i had a chest infection but also that i was suffering from IBS. After two or so years they changed it to Ulcerative Colitis, then from that to eventually settling on Crohns Disease. :confused:

It was good finally to get a proper diagnosis but i was 24-25 by this point, even then it took a couple of years to actually find a suitable medication, one that wouldnt be too severe for my body but one that would be strong enough to control it.

I've been in and out of hospital since i was 18, in my twenties while my friends were out partying and travelling abroad i lost alot of my independence and 20s fun. Don't get me wrong, i did go out, and i did try to have fun, but i didnt have the full benefit of being in complete control of my life.

I've found white meats (Chicken, Turkey) in general are more favourable with my illness, in that they seem to digest better, again this isn't something that was explained to me, but something i've benefitted from my own personal experience.

Medicational Treatment, I've been on Mesalazine, Azathioprine, CorticoSteroids, Salazyoprin.

I'm currently taking Salazyoprin and Azathioprine. They seem to control my Crohns very well, I've been told that the Salazyoprin isnt something thats used all that much anymore, in that its an old meds and not very trendy, to be truthful? I really dont give a damn as long as they work LOL!! :biggrin:

Thanks guys, i hope when i'm more settled into my new job (still in training atm) that i'll have enough time and energy to work on my minimates projects :) as quite rightly pointed out, I need to take one day at a time and make sure i am comfortable in my job, then at wk'ends i'll have time to do whatever i want. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the good luck and well wishes guys. I'll try and post up some photos this wk'end.

Rich

Delighted for you Rich, I know the pride of going back to work, really glad things are better and looking up.

If you're feeling up to it, you should have a think about coming along to our proposed UK meet... Probably won't be until August.

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys,

Just to let you lot know i've dropped by again, i had some free time on Sunday to have a look at that parcel i got from the dude or woman in Canada. I did finally get something from them, but it's been so long since i've looked at my wants list and whatnot that i've forgot the purpose of them LOL!

So atm i am just playing catchup, I'll try and drop by here a few hours each night after work and try and be more active again, i'm working part time now to help balance my illness and job role at work (something that is quite a challenge for me).

I'll be eager to get back into my projects, i am devastated to report that whilst i am returning in full to minimates, the Batcave was destroyed due to a rather bizarre accident. I will attempt a rebuild at some point though and hopefully my reference pictures and Lego DD will help me speed up that process.

:biggrin: It's good to be back.

Oh and FYI the Jubilee minimate is kickass!! :lol:

Rich

Good to see you back here Rich!

Was the Batcave accident cat related? I say it because my cat always used to ruin my Legos etc back when she was around.

I can imagine that happening lol. Noo. Actually i had it stored on a side cupboard and it was knocked off accidentaly :confused:

I am actually not sure of how i will go about rebuilding it, my initial idea seemed good but due to the height storage was an issue, my next attempt i've decided to go completely from scratch, as I want to make it modular pinned, which means all 3 levels can be seperated and then i can just click them back together when i want to display it, it might take longer for me to rebuild, but i think for long term placement and display (picture oportunities) this would be a better solution to my problem.

I'd imagine the 1st level would have those little black technic pins in the top half of the ceiling, then have say the bottom floor of the 2nd with long technic struts so i can just pin/unpin them when i want to remove a level. :biggrin:

When I refer to storage issues, the room i'm in is small, I have tons of space under my bed and above my wardrobe for boxes, but not enough height room for a 3story building. :blush:

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes, I hope to take some photos soon of the latest minimates, had my camera on charge!! :-D

Rich