UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Free Comic Book Day 2012!

Just wanted to make a pre-emptive Happy FCBD post! In the event folks don't know, this Saturday all most LCS carry a few free books and usually hold an event in celebration of comic awesomeness!

Anyone near the Omaha area come check out Krypton comics, all the free comics this year, artists Aaron Gillespie and Bruce McCorkindale and for all the brown coats Jayne himself Adam Baldwin!

http://www.kryptoncomicsomaha.com/

Any big events at your LCS's this year?

Took the kids today and found that my LCS had a line out the door a ways for the first time I know of. We came back 30 minutes later and they still had one. Yay for comics.

This was my daughter's first year and I was able to take a friend and his son who had never heard about it. This has oddly become the only family tradition that my family has every year.

I had a similar experience. My LCS had a line as well for the first time I can remember. Thankfully my daughter was patient and after a brief wait she got her Yo Gabba Gabba comic, and I picked up an extra Deadpool Corps Minimate set. Made me feel good that the line was mostly kids and parents.

I was able to meet my husband and kids at the LCS during my lunch break and my kids had their faces painted , free comics spongebob,megaman,spiderman ,& simpsons , had a bit of HULK cake lower part everything was Green and a big figure of HULK on top made of chocolate cake on the inside yum! I picked up Witchblade, Buffy, New 52,Avengers. There was a few people dressed up. My family and I had a great time, then I went back to work <_< But then I had a great trip to TRU after!

I went to a local toy show with my sister and a young girl from church. We spent about 2 hours there, then we hit 2 LCS stores and a Half Price Books. I didn't get anything at the stores, but the book store had free comics as well, and I picked up a copy of World War Z that had literally just come through the door while I was there.

Tigertail. I just now realized you're a girl! :wacko:

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

At our comic shop we had people camping out over night just to get a Thor heroclix. We had 30% off the whole store and had dollar back issues and buy one get one free trades. As for entertainment we had some guys dressed as storm troopers (real suits), ironman, and spiderman for pictures. Awesome day

I had an awesome FCBD. First time I actually worked one. My shop got so many copies of the Mouse Guard hard cover that Diamond actually called them 3 times to fill orders for shops that missed out (which my shop was awesome enough to help out with). Anyway, it was my job to hand those out since folks were going nuts for em, got mobbed a few times. I then talked folks into buying over 50% of our minimates stock. I went to the back for a quick drink and happened to be back there when Adam Baldwin was walking around to take a break, not one to be star struck or bug celebrities about their stardom, I simply asked how he was doing and he responded with a 20 minute conversation that ended up with him re gifting me a 10 year old bottle of top shelf bourbon that some random ass fan gave him. Over all, I had an awesome time.

Wow, my trip didn't involve random booze giveaways by a Baldwin so Iguess your day might take the cake (which seems to have been Hulk flavored).

I forgot there was a group of four cosplayers at the shop I was at. I overheard my 11 year olds debating whether or not the one boy was dressed as Raven (which they thought was weird) or if he was someone else. There was a really skinny girl dressed as raven with him, so they couldn't figure out why the overweight boy dressed up as Raven also (since there was already a girl one and Raven's not a boy). Ilet them talk about it for awhile before finally breaking it to them that both Raven's were actually girls. It was one of the weirder cosplaying moments I've been around.

Wow, my trip didn't involve random booze giveaways by a Baldwin so Iguess your day might take the cake (which seems to have been Hulk flavored).

I forgot there was a group of four cosplayers at the shop I was at. I overheard my 11 year olds debating whether or not the one boy was dressed as Raven (which they thought was weird) or if he was someone else. There was a really skinny girl dressed as raven with him, so they couldn't figure out why the overweight boy dressed up as Raven also (since there was already a girl one and Raven's not a boy). Ilet them talk about it for awhile before finally breaking it to them that both Raven's were actually girls. It was one of the weirder cosplaying moments I've been around.

Hahahaha, don't worry man, can't be as bad as 40 something crack head joker that shows up randomly every year. I'm starting to think he's like the real deal and he just tries to be nice on FCBD....Because man, this dude is just flat out nuts and awful looking, complete with terrible jokes.

Glad I found this before I posted. Pay no attention to the good looking Star Wars costumes...

155430_3906918521590_1538113568_3265243_301886076_n.jpg

Had a good FCBD, thanks. For the last few years I've been making a trip to a large store (Wade's Comics Madness in Levittown, PA) that's about an hour away and has a big, big sale every year. It's always a madhouse but usually well worth it. This year they had their biggest sale ever, with all back issues under $10 a buck, and everything over ten 75% off. So I stocked up on some Bronze Age comics. :thumbsup:

One thing this store does that I really like is bag up all the free comics, so everybody gets all the comics and there's no jockeying to get certain comics. They make an adult bag and an all-ages bag, so I got a second one for my daughter (honestly, I'd be happy with just the free comics for her). She spent the rest of the weekend reading (well, looking at, she's only four) comics. :wub:

My only regret is that I didn't get the Mouse Guard hardcover. Is it as cool as it looks?

This is the first year in a LONG time that my annual birthday tradition of Free Comic Book Day and then the comic book movie released then fell through...I was crushed as I was greatly looking forward to some of the books as well as the movie. I got an email from my main shop checking in since he hadnt saw me there that day and to let me know that he ran out of all fcbd comics so he wont be able to donate leftovers to the kids camp I work at over the summer. He said the sales this year were up 25% from last year and last years sales were pretty huge already! I have heard great things about the mouseguard book, and that was one I was shooting for along with some other annual faves like Owly. I had a couple friends that went and grabbed some stuff for me, just gotta see what they snagged yet!

Jeff of the Miniacs