Alpha Flight Box Set

luckycreature

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything else is wild, irresponsible speculation.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Everything else is wild, irresponsible speculation.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Of course not.

Why, some of my best friends are wild, irresponsible speculators.

:lol:

Edited by Molybdenum Man

I'm personally hoping we'll see something like a Marrina/Shaman/Guardian/Puck set.

Followed up by a Northstar/Aurora & a Sasquatch/Snowbird TRU 2-pack.

To be honest, i'm a bit stumped as to how to divvy them up. I'm not sure what the appeal/recognition levels of the members of Alpha Flight are, but i figure the heavy hitters are Puck, Guardian & Sasquatch.

DST Seems to like to have the more obscure characters safely in a box set with more popular characters (see: Morg & the Heralds set), so i guess having Marinna surrounded by Puck & Guardian makes sense. Then you can count on Sasquatch to sell one two pack & the other pack just makes sense - plus it might get a little bit of X-Men sell appeal to it since Northstar is in there.

/wild, irresponsible speculation.

Edited by Nessex

I'd say Northstar has certainly raised his visibility the last few years by hanging around with the X-Men. Sure, he has never been a "main" character in the books, but he has been there. Not sure how that helps sort them, but it does increase Nrothstar's chance of getting minimated in general.

Alpha Flight's a funny thing, since I think we really do think of the original lineup more then any other permutation of the team. I mean, Guardian was killed in-what?- issue twelve?- and he's still the figurehead character for the team.

I would only realistically expect one box set, but if they're doing Box ahead of Sasquatch, or Snowbird, or Shaman, or Northstar, or Aurora (and we know that they can't all be in one set), maybe we'll get two. One at the DST booth, and one at AFX.

Anyway, am I the only one that wants Diamond Lil? Do we need another campaign?

Edited by hellpop

I'd say Northstar has certainly raised his visibility the last few years by hanging around with the X-Men. Sure, he has never been a "main" character in the books, but he has been there. Not sure how that helps sort them, but it does increase Nrothstar's chance of getting minimated in general.

Aurora's not a partner with Northstar nowadays?

Anyway, am I the only one that wants Diamond Lil? Do we need another campaign?

Word. Gamma Flight or GTFO!

Well Aurora's still guano crazy about half the time, and keeps wandering off. Northstar, oddly enough for a stuck-up SOB with poor people skills, has discovered he both likes and is good at teaching young mutants. So he's back at the School in Westchester. I've honestly lost track of his sister, again. She may be there too, or she may be evil again, honestly not sure.

What's important, though, is that our good friends in the Marvel editorial offices know exactly where she is and what she's been up to and would never, ever allow anything to see publication that might possibly conflict with previous material. It's the Quesada guarantee!

Heh... that you could even type that without laughing is admirable.

We're off to a good start with Box as I thought he'd far and away be the least likely one we'd get, even if it is Box IV. I agree with Nessex that Northstar and Aurora might be a two-pack unless they're doing a pair of boxsets, ala Age of Apocalypse. If so, that'd be crazy great!

They're obviously ready to make a Sasquatch as he's probably the Alpha Flight member with the most "cred"; really, I can't imagine them leaving him for later as him and Puck basically are in most people's minds.

Hellpop, I think the reason we all think of the original team is because things got really crazy after a while. I hadn't realized how many new characters were created in that book, even before Byrne left and frankly it's hard to keep track of them. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you what the differences between all the different Box armors are until you get to Jeffries. It's really a staggering number of cast members introduced, not a lot of which really got used in other places.

If Quesada knows what Aurora's up to, can he remember where Purple Girl is? :P

I think the rule of thumb these days is if the character is a mutant and hasn't been seen since M-Day, then they are either depowered or dead, or both. Otherwise they would have gotten a cameo in one of the various Utopia defence struggles.

But since she inherited her powers from her dad, I'm not sure if Purple Girl is considered a mutant by Marvel definitions or not.

I am, however, fairly certain Quesada niether knows nor cares. He's too busy making bad sketches in his "Marvel Master Classes" (thank God for the fast forward button)

I do hope we get a James Hudson Guardian 'mate at some point, not so much out of affection for the character but I've always really liked the costume design. For some reason flags translate really well as hero costumes, I really like the 'mate versions of Captain Britain and Captain America, although Captain America has dwindled a bit due to over-saturation.....

As someone almost (almost) entirely un-initiated with Alpha Flight... at least in their early years... these are the characters I see as worthy...

Guardian, Sasquatch, Puck, Northstar, Aurora, Snowbird, Shaman...

In that order. Not including Vindicator and Box. (Frankly I wouldn't have even included Box, so that one already surprised me.)

Since that's 7 characters, which is an awkward number for minimates... I'm inclined to pick Marrina to fill them out. I'm very unfamiliar with her and don't see her as vital... but she seems to be the name most Alpha Flight fans drop after those seven.

If it's 2 boxed sets, that works perfectly.

If it's one boxed set... there's always random specialty and TRU 2-Packs to round out the stragglers.

Frankly if any of these get peppered into a specialty wave... I hope it's Sasquatch... because I would LOVE for Sasquatch to have a White variant. As I'm a huge Exiles fan... and I'd like to see more of them slowly rounded out. (We currently have Blink, Sabretooth, Spider-Man 2099, Morph, Holocaust, Longshot & Psylocke... some of those are from the wrong realities... but they're passable as Exiles versions.)

I'd also kill for Mimic and Nocturne. (In both 616 and Exiles costumes... in both cases.)

Where's Zach. He needs to be writing this down...

You MUST get extra mileage out of a Sasquatch sculpt. Should one exist. White variant! Make it so! Exiles fans demand it!

And actually if it turned into Heather Hudson when you took its parts off, that would be pretty awesome too.

I've never thought of Box as that important either, but he has been showing up a LOT in X-Men the past few years as his regular identity, Madison Jeffries. Ever since Beast left Utopia, Madison, Dr. Nemesis, & Dr. Rao have been the go to scientists there.

I would definitely be down for Alpha Flight sets and I think you have their order of importance about down pat. :)

I think the rule of thumb these days is if the character is a mutant and hasn't been seen since M-Day, then they are either depowered or dead, or both. Otherwise they would have gotten a cameo in one of the various Utopia defence struggles.

But since she inherited her powers from her dad, I'm not sure if Purple Girl is considered a mutant by Marvel definitions or not.

I am, however, fairly certain Quesada niether knows nor cares. He's too busy making bad sketches in his "Marvel Master Classes" (thank God for the fast forward button)

My understanding is that, if a character is born with powers (or their powers develop naturally), they are a mutant, even if their parents received powers through unnatural means. Franklin Richards is a mutant, as is Mayday Parker. I think.

I do hope we get a James Hudson Guardian 'mate at some point, not so much out of affection for the character but I've always really liked the costume design. For some reason flags translate really well as hero costumes, I really like the 'mate versions of Captain Britain and Captain America, although Captain America has dwindled a bit due to over-saturation.....

Yeah, the Guardian costume is just awesome. The first time I ever saw Alpha Flight was when Marvel ran those ads for #12, saying "one of these characters will die!". I remember looking at it, pointing to Guardian, and saying "it better not be him, he's the coolest one." John Byrne later said he killed him because he thought the character was boring, which I always thought was a bit daft since, y'know, he created him. Anyway, Guardian was obviously Alpha Flight's flagship character, and I don't think the team ever recovered from loosing him, and the book struggled for years to figure out how to bring him back.

My understanding is that, if a character is born with powers (or their powers develop naturally), they are a mutant, even if their parents received powers through unnatural means. Franklin Richards is a mutant, as is Mayday Parker. I think.

Mayday and Kara both fall in that fuzzy category of having inherited their father's "artificial mutation". I think Kara is usually considered a mutant, May usually isn't. Why? Don't know. If one is, then the other should be, but the idea that a Spider-verse character is a mutant scares the Marvel PTB I guess.

And Gill, I think a classic Mimic / classic green Super-Adaptiod would make a great 2-pack.

And Gill, I think a classic Mimic / classic green Super-Adaptiod would make a great 2-pack.

X-Men Legacy just had a brief flash-back to this fight in it. Gotta say, i'd be on board with this 2-pack :)

My take (never read much Flight but my best high school bud loved it)

Puck - Gaurenteed.

Sasquatch - 90%

Shaman - 75%

Snowbird - 60%

Marina - 40%

Northstar - 20%

Aurora - 20%

Talisman - 10%

Maddison Jefferies - 5%

Everyone else - 1%

If I were DST, I'd hold back Puck for 2 packs.. So the box set would be:

Shaman

Sasquatch

Marina

Aurora

Future 2 packs could be:

Snowbird / Northstar

Puck / Talisman

This is the safest configuration for max sales in my humble opinion.

My guess-

Guardian - 90%

Puck - 70%.

Sasquatch - 90%

Shaman - 30%

Snowbird - 60%

Marina - 40% 10%

Northstar - 50%

Aurora - 45%

Talisman - 10%

Maddison Jefferies - 5% Already on the way

Marina despite appearing in both Alpha Flight and the Avengers for a time just hasn't seemed to catch on. Shaman's an important character, but niether visually interesting or a really active combatant: he's the guy in the back ground spouting exposition, and whipping plot devices out of his magic pouch. And usually the first guy to volunteer to retire for a while. James Hudson on the other had is still the poster boy for the team despite the fact he spent more time during their run dead than alive. And he's got a strong simple costume that Byrne should be proud of designing.