UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chicago Comic Con 2012 !

DST hasn't been to WWC for awhile and I'll predict theywon't be there this year either, I hate to disappoint, but it sounds like WWC has become inferior to C2E2.

Really? Is there a reason for DST not being there? *sigh* I need more time to stare at mates.

I've gone to WWC/Chicago Comic Con since 2007, but this will most likely be my first year not going. Since my first year going, companies have started pulling away to the point where there were last year there was nothing but Celebs (most of which were washed up wrestlers or random people who appeared in a Star Trek episode), Artists, and vendors. NO presence whatsoever from Toy, Comic, or Entertainment companies.

However, fun is how you make of it, so I hope you have a great time!

There's a long story to be told about the transition of major companies from WWC to C2E2 but it probably started in 2009 when the big two comic publishers had a massively reduced presence. There were actually promoters for C2E2 actively pushing the new-at-the-time con as the event that would outdo Wizard World. As someone's who has been to every C2E2 and WWC several times, I can say that the focus on the latter is definitely going to be media guests.

That's not a bad thing though; WWC 2009 is one of my favorite cons ever as Dan Slott was there and the general attendance was such you could actually talk to some of the pros for a while without someone coming up to harass them for something like signing their 70 copies of Anti-Venom's 1st appearance. At one point, George Perez was even taking sketch requests at Hero Initiative and even gave out a few head sketches to some kids. I don't know if I'll ever go to a con like that again but it's true: the fun is where you find it there. Even if DST doesn't have a panel, there may be vendors with $5 minimates or such.

Nope, we won't be there. We're a small team, and we can't go to every show, or production would grind to a halt. One trip to Chicago a year, one trip to the West Coast, one trip to New York. (Toy Fair doesn't count, as it's closed to the public.) Also, we'll be at Star Wars Celebration, but I'm not sure were bringing any Minimates.

But I used to work at Wizard World Chicago/Chicago Comic-Con, so I'm glad it's still around. Have fun!

... Also, we'll be at Star Wars Celebration, but I'm not sure were bringing any Minimates.

You should definitely bring Star Wars MiniMates! To, you know ... get people on board. :) Just make up some prototypes and put 'em in a display cabinet. Go-wan ... do it!