UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Through the Ages Suggestion Thread

hellpop

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Hellpop! You even used the Barry Windsor Smith mini-skirt look that I couldn't even really remember the source of. I hadn't even considered the Avengers Forever look either and it even plays into how a few extra pieces can make an entirely different 'mate. I think the FA look would be neat to have as well but I would definitely want Black Widow in her original outfit to go with it.

As ugly as that Nicieza Hawkeye on the bike cover is, I dug that series. Especially when he went shopping at a Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section for gear. I will note that the cover artist changed for almost every issue, so each cover basically has a different variation on a Hawkeye costume excusing the two that Scott Kolins did.

That was a BWS design, wasn't it? It's just so, so awful. I basically don't care for any Hawkeye look that doesn't include a mask and tunic. I'm living with the Aja one, because it's Aja, but I already miss the David Lopez costume.

As for the Nicieza book... sorry, can't agree with ya. I always refer to it as "100 Arrows", since he's trying so hard (and failing) to ape Azzarello. One of the covers is one of my all-time favorite Hawkeye images, though:

detail.jpg

Hawkeye TTA would be stellar, but i'd save the Ultimates look for a different boxed set, because we're still missing SEVERAL other Ultimates (Widow, Giant Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver <_< )

I think one Modern look would be enough though; "Neo Modern" isn't exactly a redesign so much as it is Aja purposely simplifying everything in the book for a clean look. New Secret Avengers Hawkeye would be ideal.

EDIT: I REALLY like that last Zemo picture. WOW.

Yeah, I'm a little reluctant to include any Ultimate designs with a Through the Ages boxset but the Ultimate Comics look is probably his most distinct outfit this side of the newest one. I agree about Aja though as he's just stripping down a costume that's been depicted differently by every artist who has drawn it so far. I think it's too new to be in Marvel's style guide or something as you see different elements fade in or out depending on who the artist is. I'm not even sure when it first appeared as he just showed up in Avengers Academy wearing it during one issue.

I agree hellpop, the Lopez/Heroic Age outfit; it looks great and was sorely underused.

2083333-detail__2__large.jpg

TheHeroicAge-Hawkeye-character-Design.jpg

I'll cop to enjoying the Nicieza Hawkeye book mostly because I thought Fabian had a great grip on the character as shown in Thunderbolts; the actual stories were a little too low-key and it ended up feeling like 100 Bullets meets Nomad or something but it's nice he tried something different even if it didn't work out. 'The high hard shaft' is a title that invites people to make jokes about it though.

Hawkeye's most recent series wasn't my favorite despite having that nice David Lopez art. Jim McCann is a great person, extremely friendly and enthusiastic in person (one time he gave me directions to Dan Slott's table in an artist's alley), but something about the book didn't click for me and I didn't pick it up past the ending of the Phantom Rider arc.

Going further off topic, Fraction is a very funny guy but his books have been hit or miss for me. I find Defenders tries too hard to show off references to how crazy 70's Marvel was and Fear Itself was a weak event overall where even the part I liked the most, Thor being remembered by no one but kid Loki, was kind of abandoned quickly. The first two issues of the new Mighty Thor didn't grab me either and that whole first story ended up being an elaborate excuse to de-herald the Silver Surfer so he could be in the Defenders. I like Casanova though and his work on Immortal Iron Fist with Brubaker is just as great as everyone says.

Going back though, Clint's kind of hit the Wolverine/Spider-Man level of saturation right now as, of last count, he is in: Avengers, Avengers Academy, Secret Avengers and his upcoming solo series. He's also going to be in an arc of the post-Brubaker "Captain America and..." book so now's the perfect time to take advantage of the character's popularity. I've been a Hawkeye fan for years and, outside of kicking it in Avengers Disassembled, this is the most talk I've heard about the character, ever.

Edited by lemonfreshviper22

I think his popularity can be attributed to Marvel intentionally pushing him to be recognizable, since he's in Avengers; Wolvie and Spidey are there because they're so fan-adored and easy to write, Hawkeye is being pushed. Not that i have an issue with that, Clint rocks.

Heroic Hawkeye was....okay. It was a very nice updated-Classic if that was its sole purpose, but i just don't really like it. The asymmetry is annoying (that's my issue with movie Hawkeye's quiver shoulder-sling, it's awkward) and bizarre, and the mail sleeve with the short t-sleeve just doesn't make sense to me. For one thing, Hawkeye doesn't need sleeves, and i imagine it would make it VERY difficult to aim since it's made of chainmail, and the short sleeve then just doesn't make sense at all. Both or neither, and neither one makes sense. That and the tactical "superhero" look doesn't flow.

I will give them this: I love the smaller mask and tunic, the gauntlet is really neat, and i love that bow. Quite frankly, i like the design artwork. Just not the design.

I think his popularity can be attributed to Marvel intentionally pushing him to be recognizable, since he's in Avengers; Wolvie and Spidey are there because they're so fan-adored and easy to write, Hawkeye is being pushed. Not that i have an issue with that, Clint rocks.

This. Though Clint is certainly a character worth pushing. I think his most "organic" level of popularity (meaning when he was getting buzz and appearances based more on fan demand than editorial push) was in the late 80's when Hawkeye was the leader of the West Coast Avengers and starred in a regular solo slot in the Solo Avengers anthology book. (it usually featured two stories per month a Hawkeye story and then another Avenger story) But that wasn't to last. Byrne preffered Clint as the outsider/agitator, so Clint quit the "Whackoes" not long after Byrne took over as writer and Solo Avengers was just too inconsistent art and story wise to last long. He's had mini-series and even attempted regular solo series, but they never seem to last long. (not unlike his green garbed counterpart at the Distinguished Competition) I guess Clint's a "on the bubble" character: he's barely popular enough to hold his own series, if the series is well written, wihout an editorial push. Will that change come May 4? Since Clint is my absolutely favorite super hero period, I certainly hope so. Only time will tell.

But yes, I'm all about a Hawkeye TTA set.

Good points guys; it does make sense as they already pushed Black Widow as a result of Iron Man 2 so Hawkeye is kind of an unknown quantity. I get where they're coming from as back when Thor came out, I had to explain to my Dad who the guy with the bow was as he didn't realize Hawkeye was being played by "the Hurt Locker guy". Didn't know that about Byrne but it doesn't surprise me knowing that when he took over WCA he really had some intense changes in mind.

Now that I think about it "would you guys ever consider doing a villain for a 'through the ages' pack?" would have been an awesome question for the C2E2 panel.I think Doom would be a natural but they've already done a number of his different looks already, outside of the 2099, FF and Unthinkable versions mentioned in the rest of the thread.

Since Dr. Strange and Ant-Man are rumored for movies, maybe they'll be next. I'd definitely dig any of the ones mentioned by you guys though I'd insist an Astral Form mate be a clear version of the figure from the Defenders set for the sake of continuity (unless there was a new 2 pack version coming out for it to resemble).

Edited by lemonfreshviper22

You mean his "brown Plant-Man" (Clint's own description) outfit? Yeah, it's the only one worse than his "Steve Reeves" costume.

So of course I got as close as I could to it for a Trick Arrow Archer in CoH, cause it ain't like the Mods are "generic" that monstrosity.

Of the ones I've seen mentioned, I'd definitely be up for the Zemo box set, I've always thought he'd make an awesome 'mate and variant as his old man.

I'd also be up for a Hawkeye set if they included girl-Hawkeye. Not for the character herself, but I like when they give us the really obscure characters sometimes, like Venom's ex-wife in the Venom TTA set.

Of the ones I've seen mentioned, I'd definitely be up for the Zemo box set, I've always thought he'd make an awesome 'mate and variant as his old man.

I'd also be up for a Hawkeye set if they included girl-Hawkeye. Not for the character herself, but I like when they give us the really obscure characters sometimes, like Venom's ex-wife in the Venom TTA set.

Wait, there was a Venom TTA set? :blink:

it was revealed at toyfair this year, heres the toyfair gallery: http://toyfair12.asmzine.com/gallery/diamond-select-toys/

Edited by undeadpool

it was revealed at toyfair this year, heres the toyfair gallery: http://toyfair12.asmzine.com/gallery/diamond-select-toys/

Awesome, thanks. :D

• 3 weeks later...

BUCKY THROUGH THE AGES

Bucky (World War II)

tumblr_lbna33wrJ01qbeun9o1_500.jpg

James Barnes (Military Uniform)

1887452-bucky_plane_middle.jpeg

Winter Soldier

2008418-wintersoldier04.jpg

Captain America (Bucky Barnes)

1887440-buckyd_575_super.jpg

Bucky as Captain America could have the battle-damage seen above, and the arm stump from when his robotic arm was ripped off.

BUCKY THROUGH THE AGES

Bucky (World War II)

tumblr_lbna33wrJ01qbeun9o1_500.jpg

James Barnes (Military Uniform)

1887452-bucky_plane_middle.jpeg

Winter Soldier

2008418-wintersoldier04.jpg

Captain America (Bucky Barnes)

1887440-buckyd_575_super.jpg

Bucky as Captain America could have the battle-damage seen above, and the arm stump from when his robotic arm was ripped off.

YES.

For serious. I'm pretty happy with the Invaders Bucky, but I wouldn't complain if we got a more updated style, especially if it included the new glove cuff. A military uniform Bucky would be a kind of cool companion to the frozen Cap, especially if he came with the drone. Winter Soldier... yes. Absolutely. BD Cap? Why not?

Trade the Invaders set's faux Cap shield for a pair of machine guns and I'm all in.

Invaders Bucky has the unfortunate distinction of having the worst male hairpiece of any Minimate, so for that alone I'd be up for a redo. I'm not a big fan of the "Bucky always used guns" retcon, but I can accept it. I'd rather have an updated Bucky Cap then BD, though. I just have no use for BD figures.

Invaders Bucky has the unfortunate distinction of having the worst male hairpiece of any Minimate, so for that alone I'd be up for a redo. I'm not a big fan of the "Bucky always used guns" retcon, but I can accept it. I'd rather have an updated Bucky Cap then BD, though. I just have no use for BD figures.

I thought we got an updated Bucky Cap, in one of the Box Sets.

I thought we got an updated Bucky Cap, in one of the Box Sets.

It's basically the same figure, just without the full slip-over mask. My point is just that I don't want the BD one, and would rather have another figure of the same costume. Battle-damaged figures, to me, are the lowest form of mini-life, even one that makes sense, like Final Battle Cap from the Civil War set.

• 1 month later...

Spiderman through the ages:This could be chuck's dream

Spiderman 2099 post-6182-0-68732400-1342207285_thumb.gi

iron spiderman post-6182-0-84232900-1342207290_thumb.jp

ben reilly scarlet spider post-6182-0-23909300-1342207292_thumb.gi

kaine scarlet spider post-6182-0-32171700-1342207310_thumb.pn

This set would sell like hot cakes.Chuck loves spidey,kids love spidey,we want these costumes so why not release this?

Edited by Kostisfire