UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates wave 47: Outback X-Men

MINI_MYTE

I like the McFarlane/Liefield-esque over-flair of the mask and boots on Broodverine. Okay to be fair I think it was Art Adams was the first artist I remember extending the mask and boots to ridiculous proportions. That's not a knock, just a happy observation.

(of course the whole Brood tranforming Wolverine thing always, always bothered me. The guy's bones are coated with indestructible metal. They won't contort no matter what you do to the soft tissue, so how exactly does he form Brood jaws...? I am over thinking again, I know.)

As one of the biggest Avenger fans on this board, I still love this wave and can't wait to get it.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the McFarlane/Liefield-esque over-flair of the mask and boots on Broodverine. Okay to be fair I think it was Art Adams was the first artist I remember extending the mask and boots to ridiculous proportions. That's not a knock, just a happy observation.

I vividly remember this shot of Wolvie from John Byrne (must have been from one of the Official Handbooks), where he had pretty big boots:

2004-05-16_113509_wolverine.jpg

Paul Smith also drew him that way:

300px-Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_173.jpg

JRJR's interpretation and even the Miller Wolverine had reasonably big boots. Maybe not on the order of McFarlane, but surely more dramatic than the wimpy looking boots we've seen here (on the regular brown prototype we've seen):

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=898&n=Wolverine

Edited by karamazov80

I vividly remember this shot of Wolvie from John Byrne (must have been from one of the Official Handbooks), where he had pretty big boots:

Paul Smith also drew him that way:

JRJR's interpretation and even the Miller Wolverine had reasonably big boots. Maybe not on the order of McFarlane, but surely more dramatic than the wimpy looking boots we've seen here (on the regular brown prototype we've seen):

What? Those seem about the right size to me. That's the Wolverine I picture in my head to this day: Paul Smith/JRJR with a little Miller mixed in. The post-AXM suits have all had noticably smaller masks, and boots are different too. I'll agree that most boot flares have been too small, but the Broodverine boots look too big. The "Goldilockes" zone has yet to be achieved.

The ones in my database link just come up to his knee, while the ones in those pictures I linked come up to about half-way up his thigh. So from the POV, I think the Brood boots are a better representation of how the figure looked, though they might be a bit large.

--edit: they actually look bigger in the prototype shown at NYTF than they do in those solicitation pics IMO, and they look very large there (coming up all the way to his belt), so I see what you are saying:

http://toyfair12.asmzine.com/gallery/diamond-select-toys/slides/DSC04339.html

But I still prefer the Brood boots.

Edited by karamazov80

i think this is the most i've been looking forward to a wave since 28.

Despite having 2 Wolverines in it - i'm still giddy with excitement for the whole lot of them :biggrin:

i think this is the most i've been looking forward to a wave since 28.

Despite having 2 Wolverines in it - i'm still giddy with excitement for the whole lot of them :biggrin:

You must be especially excited, since this era of the X-Men is probably Australia's greatest moment in comics. :) The only other thing I can think of that would compare is being destroyed in Invasion!, which doesn't really seem like a great moment to me. :ermm:

I'm probably X-hater #1 around here, but I'm looking forward to these as well. This was a pretty good period for the X-Men, and I appreciate that Claremont shook up his status quo by bringing in new members and writing out some of his favorites, like Kitty and Nightcrawler. Longshot and Dazzler are personal favorites, so I'm glad to be getting them at last. And I'll have to agree on Karamazov on the Great Brown Wolverine debate: there really hasn't been a great one yet. Personally, I like this look MUCH better then the silly yellow costume (and I never understood why they went back to that one). I qc'd a decent one using Gajin Wolvie and Daken parts, but it will be nice to get an "official" one that I like.

Add one more "this wave is amazing" vote. Taken with its complementary TRU wave (Havok/Storm, Box/Vindicator, Extremis IM/Rhino, Miles/Ultimate Cap), this could be one of DST's most solid Marvel offerings to date.

Man, September is going to be a great month for Minimates.

Edited by Lobsterman

• 2 weeks later...

To celebrate my favorite era of X-Men being transformed into minimates, I made some artwork. It's a minimate version of Uncanny X-men 238! Personally, I think every wave should have some cool little poster, kind of like the Secret Wars one or the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 poster!

final.jpg

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_238.jpg