UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates wave 47: Outback X-Men

MINI_MYTE

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I was NOT looking forward to adding yet another Wolverine to my collection, this one has become The Definitive Wolvie 'mate, in my opinion. I really like the sculpting on the boots and the mask/hood accessory is a great touch. If he'd come with retracted claws, it would be perfect.

I dig this Wolvie a lot, but he's still not feeling like the definitive brown Wolvie to me. I think he could really use those bigger boots of Brood Wolvie, and he should be a more burnt orange than yellow color. As-is, he's a perfect Secret Wars Wolvie to be posed with Secret Wars Doom.

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right: he does look like the old Secret Wars figure (the first Wolverine toy ever made). Knowing DSTRobert and his love for slipping in Easter Eggs and tributes, I bet it was intentional. Any idea, Zach?

I bought Longshot/Dazzer and Wolvie/Brood last night but haven't opened them yet. It sure is New Minimate week. Can anyone remember if a comic store wave and a TRU wave ever shipped at the same time before?

I get sad everytime I read "went to my LCS and got (fill in the blank) minimates". I live in Grand Rapids, MI and I have four possible comic stores I can visit on my lunch hour (and still have time to eat) and NONE of them carry minimates. If I do want comic store wave mates I either have to drive down to Kalamazoo (Fanfare- THE best comic store in Michigan) or buy online. :angry:

Edited by Jeff

I get sad everytime I read "went to my LCS and got (fill in the blank) minimates". I live in Grand Rapids, MI and I have four possible comic stores I can visit on my lunch hour (and still have time to eat) and NONE of them carry minimates. If I do want comic store wave mates I either have to drive down to Kalamazoo (Fanfare- THE best comic store in Michigan) or buy online. :angry:

Have you talked to the staff at them all? I would guess that one would be willing to order them for you especially if that made them your primary store.

That's the kicker. I have and they won't. <_<

I've come to find out there's two comic shops:

-The kind where anything you see in Previews will ultimately be up on the shelf as "new this week", in addition to having random comic related merch from belt buckles to video/board games and minimates of years past. I LOVE these type of stores.

-The kind where they still think it's 1993 and kids want comics and comic trading cards with mint in box (gathering dust)action figures (namely anything Batman and horrible movie toys) pinned up on the wall.

Yep, that's GR for ya. :pinch:

Edited by Jeff

Well, it's certainly unfortunate, Jeff. I know that DST has tried very hard to entice comic book stores back into the fold, which is why we see waves with more big-ticket Marvel characters there then at retail. Think about it for a minute: we actually see more obscure characters and oddball figures at TRU then at comic shops, when you think the inverse would be true. But a lot of comic stores won't order a case of Minimates for just one person, and I guess you can't blame them; even if you are guaranteed to buy the full set, they still have eight other sets to sell through. Remember, the stores are buying them outright from Diamond Distribution at cost, so they are incurring all the risk.

I've bitched about this many times before, but I used to frequent a store in the town where we used to live that stopped ordering Minimates even though I bought them there loyally. What really annoyed me was that the owner didn't tell me "hey, we're not going to be carrying these any more"; no, I went in one day when a new wave came out, and he said "oh, they haven't been selling through as well, so I didn't order them". Unfortunately, a lot of comic book stores just aren't run all that well.dry.gif

Anyway, as to the topic at hand: opened my sets. I have the same problem with Longshot's hand, though only with the hand holding knives, not the one throwing them. Fortunately, the white cuff slips down over the exposed peg, so you can't really see it. Also, the Brood's extra arms felt a little stuck, but simply removing the arms and putting them back on alleviated the problem. The Brood really is a cool figure; once again, I am amazed at the different ways the designers come up with the stretch that basic Minimate body.

That's the kicker. I have and they won't. <_<

Being that I used to co-own a shop (where we did carry Minimates) I can tell you that it's the chase variant that's the turn-off for a lot of shop owners on ordering 'mates. Simple problem is that a shop owner does not want left overs on their shelves. A lot of folks like us (collectors) want the complete set of a wave, including the variant/chase. If they are not the first to the shop on release day (tough when you work 9-5) or reserve a set than they just order the wave online. So the shop owner is left with another 2 incomplete sets that may or mat not get picked up here and there by more casual collectors.

The big guys like BBTS & Luke who order in volume can order the "god" cases with even ratios of the sets. Makes it hard for the local shop to compete with them. I understand the idea of an incentive for the larger accounts with the "god" cases but I always thought the better discount they get for volume was more than enough.

Zach (if your listening), suggesting to Chuck to offer the "god" cases or just making the case ratios even (which I did to him years ago) for the small LCS could go a long way to enticing more local shops to give minimates a chance. Just my $.02 from 8 years as a past retailer.

Mojo

Edited by Mohawk_Jones

Still waiting on a Wendigo, Pyro, and Blob for the whole set. Tempted to get a battle beast (have they made a gator head yet?) for those pain in the ass fire breathing gators in the jungle level. Reavers would be nice too. Had a hell of a time trying to hunt down Sentinels. If anyone has any extra, PM me. :biggrin:

Virtually everything I have 'minimate' has been bought online.....I have no choice . Having no choice concentrates the mind,less options.

I'm relatively new to toy-collecting & it is still a mystery to me why it is so difficult to get hold of stuff that I want when it should (in my mind) be in the interests of the seller,DST,to make it easy for me (us?) . I've been buying god-cases since Wave 16 Marvel (I believe) & it is still inconceivable to me that any other version of a case exists whilst TRU get short packed exclusives .....we all know how helpful that is . I read recently that the strategy at DST is to deliberately 'spread the hunt'....by design it is necessary for fans to complete teams via box-sets,LCS packs & TRU packs........such fun we have doing it :rolleyes::angry:

Moan moan moan ...yeah I know & I'd like to say I'm sorry but after all these years I have to say that I wish I collected stamps.....or butterflies . Thimbles?

MinimatePrydeKonamiTeam.jpg

"X-Men, X-Men!

Savin' the Day, Savin' the Day!

X-Men, X-Men!

Comin' your way!"

The Pryde of the X-Men pilot cartoon was my first exposure to the X-Men so it's nice to finally have this team complete in toy form twenty-some-odd years later. :lol:

Except for Wolverine's off center eyes, I love this wave.

Gah! Brad you beat me to it. I'll still post my x-men pic later today.

And by later, I meant now:

xmen.jpg

I like the look of the old Nightcrawler versus the new and modded an astonishing X-Men Colosssus. Went with the Wolverine that came with Dark Magneto. More Pics later.

Edited by Jeff

I think so hellpop. Everyone has their own version of what a character's costume should or shouldn't be. For me, the Dazzler above matches perfectly to the arcade version. Although I do love that DST is including extra parts to make whichever version you prefer without having to buy a completely separate figure.

MinimatePrydeKonamiTeam.jpg

Beautiful. Love that Cyclops. Looks like my 90s Cyke is gonna be turned into custom fodder.

Superheroes shouldn't wear jackets!:no:

Yeah, and Jim Lee isn't even responsible for that one!

Edited by karamazov80

Got my custom case from Luke's today and it's amazing!

One thing, for anybody who hasn't gotten 'em... be careful with the sets of Brood legs behind the 2 front arms. It's really easy to twist the ball-joint too much and risk pulling it off. Out of my 7 Broods, I had that problem with 3 of 'em.