UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates wave 47: Outback X-Men

MINI_MYTE

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming it's because DST doesn't have direct control on when items will show up at stores or "up to the minute" knowledge on where their items are. Only few days before hand do they know the item won't make it to stores that week and then change the release date 2 days before.

Yea it's frickin annoying and it happens a lot now.

It just goes back to the question I keep posing: why do they circulate such specific release dates when there is almost always at least a month of variance from that date in the end? Why not just say "October/November" or "Q4?" I just don't see any benefit to saying "this item will be out on October 3" when 1) everyone knows it won't and 2) everyone is going to get irritated when it isn't.

Shipping and customs can be a real beast to deal with. I work in retail myself & we've had problems with customs on many occasions. It usually sorts itself out pretty quickly, but our last shipment of a launch title wasn't actually available at the launch because it was being held with customs.

On that occasion we couldn't say 'This book is due Q4' - but man, it would have made life a lot easier if we could have.

1. We have to provide a specific date to Diamond Comics because comic retailers want to know when stuff is arriving. We choose to share those dates once orders are placed with the factory because those are now the dates we aim to hit. But production hiccups can tinker with those.

2. We know where every item is every step of the way. That's why we update the ship dates. Except I only get a full ship dates update once a month, so I generally have to ask about specific items in the interim and update accordingly. Sometimes they give me a heads-up when something reaches the warehouse, and the ship date becomes concrete, but not all the time.

Hey, I was gonna say that about ship dates! Yeah, Diamond (the distributor) requires specific ship dates for all item solicitations, though it really only matters for periodicals. I've never heard about a comic book store complaining about action figures, statues and t-shirts shipping late. Though I suppose that would happen if a company were to, let's say, SHOCK us all by constantly soliciting a line of action figures and not delivering.

Most of our items are solicited with a specific code stating that the date is tentative, and that the item may ship later. So retailers know that it's a guesstimate.

Dates in the system get updated regularly. Dates on the blog need to be changed by me. October 10th is about to take a beating...

It just goes back to the question I keep posing: why do they circulate such specific release dates when there is almost always at least a month of variance from that date in the end? Why not just say "October/November" or "Q4?" I just don't see any benefit to saying "this item will be out on October 3" when 1) everyone knows it won't and 2) everyone is going to get irritated when it isn't.

2) if everyone KNOWS the date won't be accurate, then isn't it on us for getting irritated when it isn't? Shouldn't we learn from experience, expect the items late, and be pleasantly surprised if they arrive early/on time?

Edited by Mnemosis

2) if everyone KNOWS the date won't be accurate, then isn't it on us for getting irritated when it isn't? Shouldn't we learn from experience, expect the items late, and be pleasantly surprised if they arrive early/on time?

Also they don't circulate specific release dates, they circulate specific release date estimates, clearly labeled as such every time they post them.

If everything was "Q4" that's what would irritate me, since it would mess up how I budget my toy purchases. I'm just happy they take the time to post these at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got both sets of Alpha Flight, both sets of Thundercats, and wave 47 coming from Luke. TRU wave 14 coming from TRU.com. Antman II variant pack coming from Atomik Toys, and I just got the Stormbreaker set and Emma Frost from the Avengers vs X-men set in the mail yesterday from ebay. This is probably the most minimates I've ever ordered at one time. :wacko:

I found some at my LCS in Boston. Bought Wolverine/Brood, Collosus/Rogue. They also had Brood Wolverine/Brood that I passed on. They did not have Longshot/Dazzler. :-(

They were all in a box near the register, like they got their shipment but hadn't put them on the pegs yet. Of course, I wasn't afraid to go through the box on my own.

Strange, Wolverine/Brood was $9.99. Collosus/Rogue was $8.99. Wanted Longshot and Collosus most of all, so slightly happy/slightly disappointed.