Venom Through The Ages Box Set

mtd20_2000

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty sure I read somewhere that JMS didn't want to do it, and Quesada forced him.

Yep.

Not really. If you go back and read interviews with the two of them, JMS was totally on board with the marriage retcon. What he got mad about was Quesada changing it to a magic spell, initiated by MJ, instead it being a science solution and Peter's decision. Also JMS wanted to use the retcon to get rid of the lame Stacy twins he'd introduced, and change '70s continuity even more by erasing Gwen's death. Other writers convinced Quesada she shouldn't be brought back.

JMS was pissed at Quesada about his stuff being rewritten, not the concept itself.

1352407375[/url]' post='250566']

i put Mephisto in there 1. because of that storyline that broke up Spidey and MJ and 2. because i don't really know what else to do with him. I don't read the Spider-Man books so i know he's not been a big threat over the years, but he did have at least 1 big impact on the character...

i thought about making it a 'friends and foes' display so i could include Black Cat, Spider-Girl, Scarlet Spider and Aunt May, but i didn't have a display base big enough that i didn't already have plans for...

and i think what i'm going to do is put a picture of Spider-Man with his spider senses tingling at the front. I've just got to find one.

Oh, I know why you put him there, it just cracked me up.laugh.gif

Battlecat's recollection is correct. I don't even remember JMS objecting to Mephisto's involvement, but that he'd laid out this whole plan for how deeply the retcon would go, which Joey the Q ignored. I remember thinking it was funny that outraged Spidey fans were pointing to JMS as being on their side, when really he was arguing the semantics.confused.gif

One More Day is definitely the low point of the Quesada years. Did anyone else read the new book about Marvel's history? I was surprised that they barely mentioned that. In fact, they spent more time talking about Bill Jemas' stupid Marville book, which no one remembers, and there are still people that won't read Spider-Man because of the OMD. Which is too bad, because the Brand New Day and all the stuff after it has been mostly very good.

I dropped ASM on principle because of that crap. The new stuff I check in on occasionally but the whole fact that the marriage was forced in the first place (due to the popularity of the newspaper comic strip) and then forced BACK out of continuity just really persuaded me to ease up on my wallet with one less title.

I mean, it wasn't CHUCK AUSTEN UNCANNY X-MEN level offensive, but every man has his limits, I suppose. I wouldn't be opposed to picking it up again if the right storyline really struck me. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man has been enough for my Spider-fix, for now.

Meanwhile, just preordered my Venom box set since they're popping up on eBay. Yay!

I dropped ASM on principle because of that crap. The new stuff I check in on occasionally but the whole fact that the marriage was forced in the first place (due to the popularity of the newspaper comic strip) and then forced BACK out of continuity just really persuaded me to ease up on my wallet with one less title.

I mean, it wasn't CHUCK AUSTEN UNCANNY X-MEN level offensive, but every man has his limits, I suppose. I wouldn't be opposed to picking it up again if the right storyline really struck me. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man has been enough for my Spider-fix, for now.

Meanwhile, just preordered my Venom box set since they're popping up on eBay. Yay!

Agree with this completely. I've always been a big Spidey fan but OMD brought an end to collecting the 616 series (with the exception of grabbing the title for other characters on a rare occasion, namely Venom and Kaine). The "Great Power, Great Responsibility" schtick really loses any pull when you consider the main character absolved his marriage via a deal with the devil. After all, how do you root for the guy that preaches about handling his power wisely and then strikes a deal with the DEVIL when things don't go his way. Utter garbage.

Back on topic, really looking forward to this box set and the Flash Thompson Venom, which has easily been one of my favorite monthly reads over the past few months.

more pics on DST's facebook page, but i can post em here for you non-facebookers

(thank you a ton Zach for the pics :D )

I just saw these on Facebook, and was gonna come over here and say 'Zach were these your work'. They are some great photos, and this is turning out to be a fantastic box set.

I come on here everyday, and these photos are the very thing I've been waiting on and checking for... so I was actually amused/surprised to see them!

They all look very nice indeed, but Venom Unleashed... he is worth the entry fee alone. Amazing work, Spidey won't know wuat hit him.

This set looks awesome, hot sex!!

That sentence begs several really disturbing questions about you, Valo, that are destinied to go forever unasked.

Zach - The recent Flash Thompson Marvel Select figure is a beaut looking toy, but it seems to be based on different art to the minimate. Do you know why the smoother, military look was used for the minimate, and the more animalistic/crustacean looking armour design was used for the MS figure?