Venom Through The Ages Box Set

mtd20_2000

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brock ended up getting cancer due to prolonged exposure to the symbiote suit. So, he auctioned it off, and a mob boss (Don Fortunato) bought it for his bitch of a son Angelo Fortunato. Well, the symbiote didn't like him so it dropped him to his death in a mid air swing. Then the suit went and found Gargan (Scorpion) and he basically let the suit control him completely. The dude was like a million times more monstrous than Brock ever was, actually went around eating people.

Well, eventually he was caught and turned into a Thunderbolt then a Dark Avenger. After the "Siege" event the government removed the suit from Gargan and made an attempt to militarize it with the former war hero (and leg less) Flash Thompson. Flash basically accepted the duty to get back in the field and also have temporary legs whilst wearing the suit. However, Flash is on a strict time period to wear the suit during missions, if he is in the suit for too long it takes control of his body and basically turns into what we know and love as Venom (like big bulky huge tongued Venom).

Now, where is Brock you say? Eddie is currently Anti-Venom. Apparently, remnants of the symbiote were still in his blood stream and reacted with his white blood cells when Mr. Negative got all negative on him. So, Brock is now cured of cancer and has the ability to basically cure most ailments and can also turn off some superpowers.

Thanks for the refresher. I was a little out of the loop on the newer story lines. I now have a bigger appreciation for the other figures in the set. However, I must admit the mega Venom is the one I am anticipating the most!

I'm also in the camp that hates the bigger powerhouse chest. The original powerhouse piece took me some time to warm up to, but I loved it once the second version with the 'flaps' came out. It still bothers me that my choices for Beast (one of my favorite characters) are either skinny or terrible-torso.

However, I don't really mind the mega chest piece or most sculpted pieces. I even like Beast's long arms, claw hands and toe feet. I'm excited about Venom's new arms... but I'm not sure about the head.

PS- Is Brock still Anti-Venom these days? Could they really not think of a better name for him? I didn't really mind the concept behind Anti-Venom, but the name is just awful.

Personal suposition...

With the "Toxin" symbiote back in play in the #10-#12 arc, and Eddie deciding he needs to take down "his other" so he's after Flash, when the dust all clears both men will have symbiotes th their own IMO. Who winds up with which is anyones guess. Would Flash's situation still be as interesting if he were bonded to the Toxin symbiote? Would Eddie as another "not Venom" symbiote ID just be too much to believe? We'll find out down the road I guess.

I'm looking forward to this set,the transformation venom looks awesome. The reason I love the transformation venom is because he looks like the 1994 spiderman tv series venom which was awesome!

Just finished watching those episodes! Love 1994 Spiderman!!

I really like this set. I can do without the She-Venom but bash that chest with some other black spidey parts and have a makeshift May Parker in her black costume. Won't be entirely accurate but will suffice for me.

I really like the sculpted transformation Venom. Can't wait for this set!

Heh, I re-watched 'The Alien Costume' parts 1-3 yesterday, because of this very boxset.

Question for the class boffins... in the comics, has Venom ever been written as witty and cunning as he is the the Animated Series and Spectacular Spider-Man? Far more concerned with 'outting' Peter and annoying him then killing and eating his brain.

Having said that... did Venom ever eat anyone's brain? My younger brother used to have a talking Venom figure, when we were very young, that said 'Die Spider-Man!' and 'I'm going to eat your brain!' Never sure how appropriate that was.

Yes, early on Venom/Eddie Brock did a lot of tormenting, even visiting Aunt May on occasion as Eddie Brock, it took her along time to figure out he wasn't a nice boy

his 1st appearance Peter was still wearing the black costume and Venom showed up at his apartment and scared the living sh*t out of MJ (thinking he was Peter until his mouth opened up with his big toothy grin)

and while he threatened it many times, Venom did not eat anyone's brains until Venom: the Hunger when it was explained that the symbiote feeds off of a chemical in the brain that is also found in chocolate (don't remember the exact chemical, my comics are at home).

Edited by Jay Tigran

Symbiotes mostly feed on adrenaline, and yeah phenethylamine, the chemical found in the brain and chocolate. Low levels of the later have been linked to ADHD, and clinical depression, high levels to schizophrenia. (I know this cause I've been formally diagnosed with both of the former, and not the later) It's a related chemical to adrenaline, some of which is produced in the same gland. So it stands to reason that if Eddie's cancer was kicking that gland into overdrive, then it was literally making him crazy.

And I really doubt they initially meant for that line to become Venom's catch phrase for the next decade. He said it once, during their second fight I think, and it just caught on with the readers. The idea to justify it came later. (although the symbiote would take Spidey out crimefighting while the hero slept, so the idea that it was interested in action has been around from the begining)

As Venom's popularity increased, the creepy stalking decreased until it disappeared from the character entirely. Even when he returned to being a villain, the stalking didn't really resume. Shame, it was one of the things that made the character unique.

cheers fellas

the only thing I've read with Venom in is his first couple of appearances, as you mentioned Jay... Mary Jane was all 'ohhh, that face, arrgghhh, those eyes!' n' all that. Certainly like the character though.

anyone recommend some other Venom stories? Preferably from ASM, I've got that 40years of ASM DVD disc.

Zach... do you know if any of the chest blocks under the bulked up Venom's will have any decals?

Was hoping to swap with the she Venom 'boob' chest to make a different incarnation of Venom.

Failing that, I can grab another Spidey from wave 43, but it'd be good to know in advance. Thanks!

One of Venom's best ideas was to take Spidey to a deserted island, ASM346-347

Also ASM 373-375 has Venom doing the creepy stalker thing by kidnapping Peter's newly found parents and introduces Ann Weying (Eddie's ex-wife) who later becomes She-Venom

Those two are my favorite of the early venom stories

Also, I'm very happy to see She-Venom and that super awesome transformation Venom

She-Venom has always been a favorite character of mine (as minor as she may be) and her one action figure was really lacking in the being able to stand department

Edited by Jay Tigran

One of Venom's best ideas was to take Spidey to a deserted island, ASM346-347

Also ASM 373-375 has Venom doing the creepy stalker thing by kidnapping Peter's newly found parents and introduces Ann Weying (Eddie's ex-wife) who later becomes She-Venom

Those two are my favorite of the early venom stories

Also, I'm very happy to see She-Venom and that super awesome transformation Venom

She-Venom has always been a favorite character of mine (as minor as she may be) and her one action figure was really lacking in the being able to stand department

Both stories from ASM 346-347 and 373-375 are collected here, if I do recall. I picked this up and read it a few months ago, even though I've got all the original issues stored someplace:

http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Vengeance-Venom-David-Michelinie/dp/0785157603

A great read! Likely can find it cheaper, though, for anybody interested. I use www.DCBService.com/.

Zach... do you know if any of the chest blocks under the bulked up Venom's will have any decals?

Was hoping to swap with the she Venom 'boob' chest to make a different incarnation of Venom.

Failing that, I can grab another Spidey from wave 43, but it'd be good to know in advance. Thanks!

I'll look into it, but give me time.

I'll look into it, but give me time.

Thanks!

With all the Venom's we've gotten over the years I'm surprised we haven't had a new Carnage for him to battle

^^^ This

Carnage is definitely in need of a revisit. He is current in comics again and the old mate is incredibly hard to come by. With the advances in Minimates lately, a new Carnage w/ attachment would be awesome!