Venom Through The Ages Box Set

mtd20_2000

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Toxin looks too much like Carnage, really. Unfortunately, considering the cost of tampos any new Carnage will probably look more like Toxin in the end. Scream (the yellow/red female) has a good visual, but again it's Carnage level complex and I'm not sure her obscurity would justify the cost of doing her justice. The other four, Lasher, Phage, Riot, and Agony hav simpler designs, but make Scream look well known. Hybrid... well I always thought he looked a bug-man, and never cared for him. YMMV.

FYI, Hybrid no longer exists, since his component symbiotes split back into individuals, and somehow the Toxin symbiote was separated for it's host and captured.

There's also Scorn, another Carnage spawn who took over one of Shriek's doctors. Scorn is mostly purple, with a little silver detailing.

Really dig this set. My only gripes are along the same lines everyone else had. I'd prefer the Flash Thompson Venom to have a bit less bulk and a basic painted head instead of the slip over mask, it makes him look massive compared to the basic Venom and She-Venom. I wish there was a bit more consistency in how they used the slip over masks, it looks very odd when stood next to a 'mate who simply has their mask painted on. But overall it's a very impressive set, doesn't look like they cut any corners when going through with it.

I'm really hoping all the new pieces leave room for a Carnage U.S.A box set or two, Carnage is in need of an update and the event includes all the "mandatory" characters like Wolverine, Captain America and Spidey that DST loves to make.

I don't read the books, but is Flash not wearing tactical gear (or the Symbiote is shaped to look like tactical gear)? With that in mind, I think the 'Mate looks perfect, and would look awful streamlined. To anyone who's worn it before, tac-gear is NOT "streamlined." It is bulky (and often uncomfortable - but it's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be protective).

I think the vest looks spot-on from the few pics of Flash-Venom that I've seen, and the slip-on mask keeps his head from looking too small with it (also keeps parts to a minimum - if we had gotten a painted head, would we have gotten a Flash head too?).

I don't read the books, but is Flash not wearing tactical gear (or the Symbiote is shaped to look like tactical gear)? With that in mind, I think the 'Mate looks perfect, and would look awful streamlined. To anyone who's worn it before, tac-gear is NOT "streamlined." It is bulky (and often uncomfortable - but it's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be protective).

I think the vest looks spot-on from the few pics of Flash-Venom that I've seen, and the slip-on mask keeps his head from looking too small with it (also keeps parts to a minimum - if we had gotten a painted head, would we have gotten a Flash head too?).

I agree the bulky suit looks right, but the mask looks like a helmet. He doesn't wear a helmet, he wears a skin-tight mask like Spider-Man, and his head does look comparatively "small" in the comics. Slip over masks never look right for those Spidey-style heads.

And two heads or one head and one mask is the same number of parts, but I can't see them changing it so oh well.

That's a good point about the suit, but the head still seems a bit large to me.

As I said, I just crave some consistency on the use of those masks. Drives me nuts when I have Bullseye and Crossbones standing side by side and Bullseye has this Uatu cranium. Bullseye didn't need one, and I feel Flash Thompson doesn't require one either. Those masks should be limited to the more massive characters like Crossbones or Gargan Venom.

Or just not used at all

Still a really neat set, I just always nitpick when it comes to a characters anatomy and how large they should be. Bad habit.

I like slip on masks. The head looks proportional on minimates with big feet like series 28 Deadpool (treaded) or cuffed boots like Invaders Cap/Bucky Cap.

But it looks big on figures having normal feet like Spider-Man. Flash Venom has sculpted boots so it still looks cool.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys, you've just answered the questions I was about to ask. I was totally unaware of this and the Hulk through the ages set until I came back to the board. Really pleased

that this is going to be available via the LCS route. Looking forward to seeing this set become a reality.

• 1 month later...

Hulk or Venom? Becauses it's the Venom thread but you posted after the Hulk pic. I like the Hulk one myself, three new bulked up Hulkies, and I know I read the book but didn't Bruce and T-Ross actually combine? If so thats four new! Excited Valo? or is that only the bad guys? The Venom set is awesome looking and as a fan of sculpted peices I can't wait to swap out my transformation Venom for this new one, but there are only two new characters. I like Flash's look but I'm not sure about lady Venom or why she's there (I wish we could of gotten a redone Carnage). Zach are we getting two standered Venom's because there are those who enjoy traditional mate bodies without the sculpt? Like the Amazing Spider-Man wave with one slip mask and one painted on? DST caters to everyone :lol:

I was referring to the Venom set, I love all the new pieces and characters, though the Hulk set from the proto photographs looks very cool as well. I'm impressed with both sets, and for the first time I know I'll be preordering both of these sets because I like all the figures, versus the Iron Man and Captain America sets where I only wanted one or two figures (granted they were awesome Mates, Modular Iron Man and Armored Captain America) and the Wolverine set where I didn't want any of the figures.

Hulk or Venom? Becauses it's the Venom thread but you posted after the Hulk pic. I like the Hulk one myself, three new bulked up Hulkies, and I know I read the book but didn't Bruce and T-Ross actually combine? If so thats four new! Excited Valo? or is that only the bad guys? The Venom set is awesome looking and as a fan of sculpted peices I can't wait to swap out my transformation Venom for this new one, but there are only two new characters. I like Flash's look but I'm not sure about lady Venom or why she's there (I wish we could of gotten a redone Carnage). Zach are we getting two standered Venom's because there are those who enjoy traditional mate bodies without the sculpt? Like the Amazing Spider-Man wave with one slip mask and one painted on? DST caters to everyone :lol:

I guess they could have called it 'Symbiotes through the ages' but that doesn't really have the same ring to it... She-Venom is Eddie's ex-wife, Anne Weying, who wore the symbiote in one of his many 90's mini-series (I think it was 'Sinner takes all'). It's a look (and I hope character as it'd be great to have a non-symbiote Anne head or parts)that we probably wouldn't get anywhere else as it is way out there (though Toy Biz did make a figure of it back in the day) and, alongside the surprisingly smart looking Tony Moore Venom redesign, she's what sold me on the set. I'm weird though.

Carnage holds up surprisingly well with modern releases though that's probably why he's so expensive now; since 90's crossover extravaganzas seem to be getting a nostalgia kick recently, maybe a new Cletus could make it in a Maximum Carnage 4-pack with Shriek, the Doppelganger, and Demo-Goblin? Heck, that event was such a catch-all of random characters, you could squeeze Morbius and Deathlok in there somehow alongside Carrion and Firestar.

The issue with Compound Hulk did have them fused together, I think by the Impossible Man; it was in Jeff Parker's run, I remember that much for sure.