Venom Through The Ages Box Set

mtd20_2000

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gotta say that i found the proto of Flash Venom a little underwhelming. Maybe cause he was too black, without enough highlights. I'll hold finale judgement till i see the finished product, but i wouldn't be too unhappy if they made the white spider emblem a little bolder.

Otherwise, this set is VERY exciting.

I can't remember who (Bob Harris I think) mentioned that the FT Venom looked odd due to his slip cover mask. I tend to agree with that statement. For some reason, a painted head would make the character look a lot less top heavy.

DSCN8258.JPG

I can't remember who (Bob Harris I think) mentioned that the FT Venom looked odd due to his slip cover mask. I tend to agree with that statement. For some reason, a painted head would make the character look a lot less top heavy.

Could have been me, yes. I basicly said I liked my own custom better than this one - because I'm a narcissistic bitch awesome. I guess it's because of him looking a little too bulked up and, as Nessex pointed out

Maybe cause he was too black, without enough highlights.

I like the official chest piece, though.

Flash-Thompson-Venom-02.jpg

Not really digging these 2, but I'll be buying this pack twice just to make my perfect combinations of both the Eddie & Flash Venom's in full get up and in mid-transformation.

DSC04351.jpg

This set looks so filled out with parts already, i'm guessing we won't get a wheel chair and half legs to make a civie Flash.

Also, what is the long black thing pictured in front of the Eddie exposed face Venom?

Might also use the tendrils from Ann Weying on the Symbiote Spiderman from wave 43.

Edited by Pete

I really LOVE the Eddie Brock with the bulky pieces and the half-split Venom face. Reminds me of all those nifty McFarlane and Larsen issues I read as a kid.

Conversely, I HATE that crummy chest-piece on the male Venom pictured next to the female one. I wish they'd retire that shit-piece TOOT SWEET. Yes, I have a big problem with not being able to full pose my minimates with their hands in the air like they just don't care.

Edited by Mystery Man

I'm not really familiar with any Venom past Eddie Brock other than passing knowledge. That said, a bonus pack-in of a venomized scorpion tail would be nice for that previous release.Can anyone give a condensed history of the Venoms? Is Flash current? Haven't read comics in a while, probably since around Civil War timeframe.

Brock ended up getting cancer due to prolonged exposure to the symbiote suit. So, he auctioned it off, and a mob boss (Don Fortunato) bought it for his bitch of a son Angelo Fortunato. Well, the symbiote didn't like him so it dropped him to his death in a mid air swing. Then the suit went and found Gargan (Scorpion) and he basically let the suit control him completely. The dude was like a million times more monstrous than Brock ever was, actually went around eating people.

Well, eventually he was caught and turned into a Thunderbolt then a Dark Avenger. After the "Siege" event the government removed the suit from Gargan and made an attempt to militarize it with the former war hero (and leg less) Flash Thompson. Flash basically accepted the duty to get back in the field and also have temporary legs whilst wearing the suit. However, Flash is on a strict time period to wear the suit during missions, if he is in the suit for too long it takes control of his body and basically turns into what we know and love as Venom (like big bulky huge tongued Venom).

Now, where is Brock you say? Eddie is currently Anti-Venom. Apparently, remnants of the symbiote were still in his blood stream and reacted with his white blood cells when Mr. Negative got all negative on him. So, Brock is now cured of cancer and has the ability to basically cure most ailments and can also turn off some superpowers.

Brock ended up getting cancer due to prolonged exposure to the symbiote suit. So, he auctioned it off, and a mob boss (Don Fortunato) bought it for his bitch of a son Angelo Fortunato. Well, the symbiote didn't like him so it dropped him to his death in a mid air swing. Then the suit went and found Gargan (Scorpion) and he basically let the suit control him completely. The dude was like a million times more monstrous than Brock ever was, actually went around eating people.

Well, eventually he was caught and turned into a Thunderbolt then a Dark Avenger. After the "Siege" event the government removed the suit from Gargan and made an attempt to militarize it with the former war hero (and leg less) Flash Thompson. Flash basically accepted the duty to get back in the field and also have temporary legs whilst wearing the suit. However, Flash is on a strict time period to wear the suit during missions, if he is in the suit for too long it takes control of his body and basically turns into what we know and love as Venom (like big bulky huge tongued Venom).

Now, where is Brock you say? Eddie is currently Anti-Venom. Apparently, remnants of the symbiote were still in his blood stream and reacted with his white blood cells when Mr. Negative got all negative on him. So, Brock is now cured of cancer and has the ability to basically cure most ailments and can also turn off some superpowers.

all true, except Brock(Anti-Venom) used up all of his power (right?) during spider island to manufacture a cure for those who had been infected by Jackal and turned into giant spiders

1330789357[/url]' post='217175']

Wow, cool. Thanks for the summary! I had no idea about most of that, especially Flash. Really looking forward to the set!

Looks like Weying to me.

Good job on the quick history, IABRH. I'd make only one correction- Eddie was already diagnosed with terminal cancer in his thyroid and adrenal glands. A side effect of the cancer was his system was over producing adrenaline, which was increasingly effecting his moods and judgment. Symbiotes feed on adrenaline, so becoming Venom actually slowed the cancer and prolonged his life, but not indefinitely. Eventually his body was just too weak and things go as you described.

Why the cancer retconn? It's an attempt to explain how Venom went from murderous monster to vigilante in story. When they fist bonded, Eddie's adrenaline levels were still ridiculously high, and he was more irrational, agressive, and violent. As time passed and the symbiote continued to feed, Eddie began thinking more clearly, and Venom "softened" into a hero. Eventually Eddie did not wish to be Venom at all anymore. Their return to villainy was explained as the "other" pretty much taking over, pushing Eddie back into action to provide it with a better meal. Of course the Real reason is that anytime a villain gets too popular, the PTB turn him into a hero to cash in. At least Venom at his heyday never joined the Avengers. >cough<Red Hulk>cough<

Guess I'll disagree with some others here in saying that I think I like this Venom (to the right) the best of all the figures in this set:

DSC04351.jpg

Because it's a nice improvement on previous versions of Venom, without doing too too much. I was actually satisfied with this version:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=664&n=Transformation+Venom

But I like the style of the head of this new one better. I don't care too much for the sculpted shoulders (may keep the chest piece from wave 24 Venom with this one). But the other new Eddie Brock Venom goes overboard for my tastes. Don't get me wrong--he looks fantastic! But he's just so far beyond a Minimate at that point, that he might as well be a Kubrick or something with all those sculpted parts. I'm glad DST is including both and giving us the option, anyway. I'll probably display both.

I'm not familiar with female Venom or Punisher Venom, so those will probably just go in my box-o-Minimates, never to be seen or heard from again.

really looking forward to this set as well, no interest in lady venom or the skinny one, which I certainly think is inferior to the wave 24 one.

s'all about the huge new Eddie... will look lovely alongside Hulk, Thing, etc. Never thought we'd need a Venom of that size, but having seen him... absolutely convinced.

especially can't wait to see him dwarfing Spidey as well.

no interest in Flash as Venom either, haven't read any of that, and the military look isn't really Venom to me. Very much after the Flash head though, will go straight on some sort of classic high school Flash.

Well worth the cost of a boxset, for one mate, various appendages, and a head & hair, if you ask me.

"Punisher Venom" is the Flash Thompson version that BarRoom described.

The female looks like "She-Venom", Anne Weying, Eddie's Ex-Wife. She ever so briefly became the "other"'s host after she was shot by Sin-Eater and Eddie asked the Symbiote to save her life. Between this and a second later temporary bonding, She-Venom racked up quite a little body count. Anne was so disturbed by the experience she commits suicide.

I'm pretty excited for this set. Not totally sure how I feel about the sculpted head but I'll reserve judgement till we see more pictures. The non sculpted head is awesome, though so I can definitely build a perfect Venom out of all of these parts. And the sculpted arms are ideal for my version of Venom.

Edited by nate_studio

When first announced, I figured I'd hate Flash/Venom. I checked it out out of morbid curiosity than anything else. I will confess I enjoyed it quite a lot. It has the benifit of being a completely new take on the Venom idea, and yet you do see in one issue in particular no matter who the host is deep down it's still the Venom we remember. On one side you have the symbiote: hungry for adrenaline, angry at being captured and controled, still fighting it's own predatory nature and it's need for emotional connections. On the other there's Flash, never the brightest bulb, but a good, brave, flawed man, who has never wanted to be anything but a hero in some form. You know when they establish all these means of preventing the symbiote from permenentaly bonding with or controling Flash that they will break down eventually. That before the end it's going to come down to an alien that just wants to put the host in situations that get the host's adrenaline going, and Flash trying to remain on the side of the angles and maintain his sanity, something Brock, Weying, and Gargan failed to do. And it does not disappoint... at least not yet.

I also know this won't last. The day is coming, soon if the book continues to struggle to find a solid audience, that Brock and the Alien are going to reunite. That they will be given a new reason to renew their hatered of Spider-man, and rediscover Spidey's ID. What will happen to Flash at that point is anyone's guess.