UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Legends discussion thread

TBT!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought Dazzler, Sunfire, and Polaris when I came across them at Walgreens, and bought the other Warlock pieces loose.  Warlock is great. I still have the old pre-Legends Toy Biz figure in my display, but this one could not be ignored. Still, my heart belongs to Dazzler. :wub:

• 1 month later...

Got the Moon Knight ML the other day. I'm pretty happy with it, there are enough sculpted pieces to raise it above the level of the usual ML parts reuse. The accessories are nice too. Seeing how the design translated to action figure form makes me think MK would definitely make a good minimate and wouldn't take much in the way of new parts.

Edited by stack32

• 1 month later...

I received Gamora from Amazon today. ML figures rarely impress me the way figures from some other companies (DST, NECA, DCC) do. That's not the case here. It's the best ML, and possibly the best 6" figure I've ever seen. The head sculpt is really excellent, without a doubt the best Hasbro has produced and I'd be surprised if any of the import versions can top it. I find the leg/hip articulation slightly annoying but that goes for all MLs so it's pretty much what you'd expect. The arms can't go quite as flat against the sides as I'd like. Those are pretty minor quibbles with an awesome figure though.

I'm terrified to know what the X-Men Apocalypse wave is going to include. I swore off ML a while ago, but between the recent Shatterstar and talk of Strong Guy.... I just don't know if i can stay away. 

5 hours ago, Nessex said:

I'm terrified to know what the X-Men Apocalypse wave is going to include. I swore off ML a while ago, but between the recent Shatterstar and talk of Strong Guy.... I just don't know if i can stay away. 

Sorry to say...But the Strong-Guy rumor was shot down by the Hasbro team....

Your wallet is safe another day....

If you're considering the figures themselves as about equal then minimates are much easier to collect. Where Hasbro is killing it right now is character selection and variety. It's not just the obscure characters, though those are great, it's also that they're managing to keep fans of all different corners of the Marvel universe (relatively) happy. It's much less frustrating as a fan when you feel like your favorites actually have a shot at being made.

Edited by stack32

Real talk, though - Hasbro are doing great... now. But they have *just* gotten Polaris, Shatterstar, and Warlock. These are characters that Minimates offered years ago. 
I think the two lines are apples and orangutans. Yes - they both feature marvel characters, but the styles are so different. I really think that Minimates are the way to go for sheer volume, character selection, alternate looks and accessories, where as Legends is great for realistically sculpted, scaled representations of figures with superior articulation.

While they are significantly different there a number of similarities, and if we're talking about character selection I don't think any of those differences actually favor Hasbro. Plus, the line is the biggest name in Marvel action figures so it's going to influence expectations of fans of other lines. What's most notable to me is that 8/10 of my minimates wishlist have been made my Hasbro, most of them in two scales. I think it's very unlikely DST is going to match that in the next few years and we're not talking about hugely obscure characters or versions of characters, the 2008 GotG make up a sizable chunk of that list. And, yes, that's a totally arbitrary measure but I think it does say something about how the two companies approach their business. Also, Hasbro won't give me nonsense about an animated version being good enough for a comic character so they've got that going for them too.

If you favor the X-Men though minimates are definitely the way to, no one is going to beat DST on love for the X-Men.

Edited by stack32

I started my first "new collection" with the original Toy Biz Marvel figures. (by "new collection", I mean not trying to fill the holes in a collection I started as a kid.) The first ones, the ones that were similar in size and scale to Super Powers. That ballooned into a HUGE collection of 5" Marvel toys. And then to "Spider-Man Classics", then Marvel Legends. I have almost every TB Legend, missing only a few chase figures. But then Hasbro took over and there was an initial drop in quality, combined with the birth of my second kid it just felt like time to stop. Then Hasbro hit their stride, and it simply became too expensive to try and catch up. Fortunately my oldest son found minimates at Wal-Mart a few years before. Yeah, that long ago.

Do I regret making the switch? Not really. Legends has done some figures these last few years that I would have given a kidney for during the TB years. But at $20 a pop, I can't justify the expense vs what I'm getting. 2 mates for half the price? And they take up a third of the storage space? Yeah, I'll stick with minimates. Do I wish some of those characters Hasbro has taken a chance on would get minimates? Of course. Bad enough to switch back? Nope.

Edited by Mirymate

Well, it would sure be nice if any of my Walmarts had any new Legends. I need to finish Vulture's wings, and don't want any of the figures that come with the pieces except Stark Spidey & Vulture himself (and I already have both). Someone hooked me up with Moon Knight's piece, but I still need the rest. :confused:

1 hour ago, TENIME_art said:

Well, it would sure be nice if any of my Walmarts had any new Legends. I need to finish Vulture's wings, and don't want any of the figures that come with the pieces except Stark Spidey & Vulture himself (and I already have both). Someone hooked me up with Moon Knight's piece, but I still need the rest. :confused:

I usually get a few of each figure for customs and I can't think of anything I would use the extra wing pieces for. I may be able to help you out, might not be right away though. SDCC sets and and the TRU set are going to take up most of the budget.

There's a price scanner right near the MLs at one of my local Wal-marts so I did some checking today. GotG Vol.2 Wave 1 (Titus) figures were all regular price. The Juggernaut X-Men wave and Rhino and Absorbing Man Spider-Man waves all showed $9.

On 8/6/2017 at 6:33 AM, stack32 said:

There's a price scanner right near the MLs at one of my local Wal-marts so I did some checking today. GotG Vol.2 Wave 1 (Titus) figures were all regular price. The Juggernaut X-Men wave and Rhino and Absorbing Man Spider-Man waves all showed $9.

:jawdrop:

They are, at their cheapest, $35 a pop here. My LCS has them at $45 a piece. $9 a piece is amazing. 

It didn't seem like as good of a deal after seeing the Star Wars Black figures from Rogue One marked down to $4.98 at Target. That was mostly Jyn Erso (like 3 full pegs) with a few Cassian Andor thrown in though. I did manage to score a few other figures at that price, because who could pass that up?