Marvel Legends discussion thread

TBT!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Nessex said:

Guh! 
This shot is making me want Thunderbolts minimates so bad.... and I didn't even read the original run! 

image.thumb.png.7d044cfa1c30d95a39959f803eb4972f.png

Source: Marvelous News

Yeah dude.  Those designs are classic, super toyetic, and would look GREAT as minimates.  Here's hoping that rumored Thunderbolts movie happens and we get a corresponding Thunderbolts wave.   

• 1 year later...

It seems that over the years, Marvel Legends and MiniMates have traded the "obscurity baton" back-and-forth, meaning taking the mantle of the line that goes deeper into the Marvel bench. Relative to the MiniMates peak in ~2009, we seem to be in modest hibernation here on the Marvel MM front. While at Marvel Legends, we see Leap-Frog, White Rabbit, Maggot (coming), D'Spayre, and all sorts of nuttiness.

I'm glad there is still a trickle of product, but I wish there were more.

For Legends, I'm still cherry-picking in a way that I wouldn't with MiniMates, because for MMs space isn't a constraint. But some of my favorite MLs of all time have come out recently, including Shang-Chi and classic Doctor Doom.

Edited by elhonez

I know Corsair got a toy in the distant past (Toy Biz!), but I'd say he's still an obscure character, one without a Legend.

And Lilandra never got that ML figure they proposed, right? But now she's got a Minimate!

Ghost got a movie Legend, but not a comic one. 

I think we're still holding our own. More to come!

And FWIW, there are a lot of unsold White Rabbits out there. 

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I know Corsair got a toy in the distant past (Toy Biz!), but I'd say he's still an obscure character, one without a Legend.

And Lilandra never got that ML figure they proposed, right? But now she's got a Minimate!

Ghost got a movie Legend, but not a comic one. 

I think we're still holding our own. More to come!

And FWIW, there are a lot of unsold White Rabbits out there. 

To be sure: my Marvel MiniMate collection is mighty, and there are many, many that don't exist as Marvel Legends. Credit where it's due: Dreadnoughts! First Appearance Blade! So many more that I can't think of because it's the end of the day! And yeah ML has gone nowhere near Starjammers yet, and they've only done a Lilandra head that you can sadly slap on a Silver Sable body and pretend. They did do a comic Ghost, but as part of an SDCC set, so advantage = MM.

I think I'm mostly musing about my past twenty years collecting toys, and where my "deep cut" itch has been scratched. ML started strong with ToyBiz, threw at least one odd pick into several waves & did some interesting box sets, then there was a big lull when Hasbro first took over and... mistakes were made. That timing happened to coincide with the MMM renaissance, so there was plenty of really deep-bench character selection happening on the Minimate front. 

Then somewhere along the way Hasbro started stepping up (but I'm sure everyone has noticed that the costs have also been steadily stepping up).

The fact of the matter is, ML could make some very obscure choices, and I'd skip them for space whereas if MMM put them out, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Although for the record: I'm one of the suckers who bought a White Rabbit, because I will always go deep on Spider-Villains. 

Very excited to hear that there is more to come! I'll always be first in line to preorder a full wave (sometimes two).

• 3 months later...

Very cute to see the Mojo minimate (bottom left) used as a set piece for a Hasbro Livestream.
This tracks with the rumour that a deluxe Mojo figure is coming, but I was mostly just tickled pink to see Minimates appear in the media. 

https://i.marvelousnews.com/g/generated/Finds/Monday-Live-Stream-Feb/Marvel-Monday-Live-Stream-Feb-Teases__scaled_600.jpg

Edited by Nessex

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 2:53 AM, elhonez said:

I was very happy to see that shout-out as well. 

This week, if rumors are to be believed, they'll be announcing a Ghost Rider HasLab that may or may not feature Robbie Reyes' Hell Charger.

Looks like the rumours were true.... but now the backers are backing out! 😮 

It appears that Hasbro is going all out for X-Men anniversary next year:

'X-Men fans REJOICE!!! New leaks have been revealed! Looks like the ML Team is going to be celebrating the X-Men 60th anniversary with hella releases next year!!! 🔥 Not shown is a potential StarJammers multipack. Keep your eyes peeled in October and November. I feel like that's when we'll see some serious reveals. 👀'

@DSTZach - I know DST left Hasbro in the dust when it comes to the X-Men Trike Force, but do you know if DST has anything planned to celebrate 60 years of X-Men?

image.thumb.png.96c20bd96c39361b6537a5dffa920df8.png

1 hour ago, elhonez said:

it's also 60 years of Avengers!

There's a BUNCH of Avengers stuff planned for ML too. 
Think I saw a 90s Sersi/Black Knight 2 pack, Molecule Man, Safari Wonderman,  Rambeu Capt Marvel, Super Adaptoid, Destroyer, Hawkeye Sky Cycle, and heaps more. 
Looks like there will be a LOT of anniversary figures next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not so sure how many people in this forum have been following the latest HasLab, but it's been something of a rocky ride.

Some comments here about the plans for the tiers being rearranged a bit, missing underboob, and the likelihood of unreleased tiers being released if the HasLab fails to launch.
While there's some corporate speak and face-saving, it's actually the most direct and open I've seen the Hasbro team.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes Hasbro utterly confuse me. 
I *just* bought a NECA T800 to make myself a dodgy quick custom Pretty Boy when Rektangular leaked that PB would be part of an upcoming X-Villains box set. 
I just assumed that he'd be a new head sculpt on an old Ultron body... But this looks like a brand new torso sculpt (and possibly new leg sculpt)? 
Don't get me wrong, I like how comic accurate the chest looks, but I can't think how it's going to be reused to get more money out of the buck? And it boggles my mind that a D-list villain is getting this kind of tooling when people like Jean Grey can't get an accurate head sculpt in the animated line.
Anyway - I'm pleased to see that some of the more fun Rektangular are looking like they'll be true. We can always use more villains. 

image.thumb.png.57d2447e0b6ef5daf18fe85600c59aef.png

That was such an out of nowhere announcement. He looks really good! I have no interest in the Reavers, but I'm glad they are following up with the other one they made this year. I didn't realize he was part of a box set, but that sure makes more sense compared to a regular release.

As for the HasLab Ghost Rider, I think they overestimated how interested people would be in Robbie Reyes. Or, more importantly, how much they would PAY for Robbie Reyes. I do hope Mephisto and Goblin Queen make their way out somehow.

10 hours ago, hellpop said:

That was such an out of nowhere announcement. He looks really good!

Right? He's the sort of character you expect a kitbash of existing parts to go into, too. I do like the attempts to round out a team. Hopefully the follow the trend and make Feral Soon. 

10 hours ago, hellpop said:

I do hope Mephisto and Goblin Queen make their way out somehow.

Right now they appear to be holding them as hostages/bargaining chips for the HasLab - but it's hard to believe they'd prototype them only to get rid of them if this thing doesn't fund.

I think it's more likely they had them prototyped for something else and then moved them to the Haslab to drum up support. I wouldn't be surprised if Goblin Queen was intended for the same box set as Pretty Boy; I mean, there's no connection between her and Ghost Rider, right?

On 10/27/2022 at 11:40 PM, hellpop said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Goblin Queen was intended for the same box set as Pretty Boy; I mean, there's no connection between her and Ghost Rider, right?

Hasbro are arguing that the tiers are all 'demonic themed'. In which case, Goblin Queen loosely fits the bill. 

But so would 100 other supernaturally themed Marvel characters. Blackheart, Blackout, Lilith, Nightmare, would all work as pack-ins with an actual connection to the Ghost Rider stories (although not specifically Reyes-linked).

While I'm always grateful for d-list characters from the X-Men universe, Hasbro continue to befuddle me. 
Random is a figure I've wanted (in both Legends AND Minimates) for some time now. I honestly expected a pretty simple repaint of Thunderstrike w/ a new head and weapon hand, but they actually went ahead and sculpted him some barbed wire for around his arm?!?! I was sure this would and up just being printed on. 

image.png.57feeba91e682a4738f5769b864763cb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone from this community is into customising Marvel Legends, but Bastian has a great video on how he gave the cheaper, single-pack Mojo a paint job to make it look more like the Pulse Exclusive Mojoworld Box Set version.
He also went and added some of the liver spots later on too. A good option for customisers who don't want to spend the $$$ on the box set, but liked the better paint apps.image.thumb.png.6bf14ebd4ab9d1efe1b437b72912501c.png