UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my "advance" set of Thing/Iron Man today from Luke. The rest of 'em (and a boatload of other mates) are coming later this month.

BEST THING EVER. Even without the cool "new" hands, there's no way this guy isn't my new favorite minimate. I'm so glad to finally have a PERFECT bulked-up version of my favorite Marvel good-guy.

That Iron Man is snazzy greatness, too! Both are colorful and perfect paint apps and just phenomenal.

Edited by Mystery Man

Hey guys, can someone do some comparison pictures between this new versions and the old ones? (like Sabertooth from MsMarvel fan...)

Thanks !!

sure, but only these other three. maybe someone else can do the others as I only own one goblin, and I didn't pic up the cap/thor pack.

post-3701-0-16928700-1330392046_thumb.jp

best of, secret invasion, wave 28, giant sized boxset

post-3701-0-72188200-1330392054_thumb.jp

best of, classic boxset, target wave

post-3701-0-15791400-1330392065_thumb.jp

best of, TRU/Doombot mash

And, I've just realized my Ironman best of boot is missing its top square thing. d'oh. I don't suppose Zach can help with that? ::cheeky grin::

Edited by MsMarvel fan

And, I've just realized my Ironman best of boot is missing its top square thing. d'oh. I don't suppose Zach can help with that? ::cheeky grin::

For now, consider me a last resort. Contact customerservice@diamondselecttoys.com and tell them the problem. We're working on getting more people on customer service duty.

- Z

wondering if the blue and red colouring on this lovely new Spidey matches the Heroes box set version (the one with the very stressed Peter face underneath). They look pretty close, hoping to swap out the new ones arms and legs for ones they decided to finish.

love the new torso detail and head.

wondering if the blue and red colouring on this lovely new Spidey matches the Heroes box set version (the one with the very stressed Peter face underneath). They look pretty close, hoping to swap out the new ones arms and legs for ones they decided to finish.

love the new torso detail and head.

Same here. Full-webbed forearms with new-webbed underarm/upperarms = BEST SPIDEY EVER.

Also, I was thinking about a potential "Best Of" series 2. Not to replace the existing one, but to be offered alongside it. Zach, is that a possibility? I have some wonderful ideas that you guys could use to make them sell for both new collectors and get us old-collector's "asses back in the seats". :)

Edited by Mystery Man

I was just thinking about series 2 as well! Some suggestions:

-Cyclops in his classic blue/yellow costume;

-Daredevil/Bullseye (redo the TRU Bullseye with a slip-on mask... :yes:);

-The Fantastic Four in the black and white look from the John Byrne years;

-If it's really a best of Marvel Minimates line, then Dr. Strange (maybe the single best Minimate of all!) is a must;

-I think we can already see that the SHIELD agent is a big hit; this would be a perfect place to rerelease him.

Edited by hellpop

Much as I'd like to see the Byrne FF costumes, I won't be satisfied until we get a black/blue costume Mr. Fantastic with more stretch-attachments. Yes, the leg base we currently have is cool. But how about using that swell Super Skrull hammer arm with him?

Because of this, my partial list looks somewhat similar to yours:

- Mr. Fantastic: same costume as recent TRU one & includes recent Super Skrull arm and one other, ALL-NEW stretch arm attachment

- Invisible Woman: same costume as recent TRU ver. & includes clear "gauntlet hands" for smashing. Use Series 41 Hulk hands

- Human Torch: perhaps make him solid red with lines as represented in classic comics. No "4" on chest.

- Dr. Strange: Same basic figure as before, but include "masked" alt. head to display as short-lived costume change.

Those changes would definitely have me buying at least 3 a piece of them.

As for your DD/Bullseye recommendation, hellpop. It's good, but I'd swap the DD to an updated yellow version. Sure, he didn't fight Bullseye in that costume historically, but with 2 red DD releases happening now/soon, it'd make that set much more palatable.

Also, I was thinking about a potential "Best Of" series 2. Not to replace the existing one, but to be offered alongside it. Zach, is that a possibility? I have some wonderful ideas that you guys could use to make them sell for both new collectors and get us old-collector's "asses back in the seats". :)

I love that people are asking for more of the line some of you were chasing with torches a month ago. :lol: Hey, if retailers come back to DCD asking for another wave of superstars, or if we totally sell out of it, maybe we'll do it, but right now this is meant to be an evergreen wave. BUT here's an idea for how build your own Wave 2:

- Black Costume Spidey (from Wave 43) and Bulked-Up Rhino (from TRU 14)

- Smart Hulk (from Wave 44) and Punisher (from TRU 13)

- Daredevil and Kingpin (from TRU 13)

- Colossus (from Wave 47) and Cyclops from... uh-oh, haven't announced that one yet. Soon.

Speaking of the best, I finally got my hands on the 6-armed Spidey/Lizard pack from Wave 37, and it's my new favorite. My first Spidey comic was Amazing 101: first appearance of Morbius, first full appearance of 6-Armed Spidey, and Lizard shows up at the very end. Best!

I love that people are asking for more of the line some of you were chasing with torches a month ago. :lol:

Maybe others, but not me. Why? Because I wanted a perfect Thing and finally got him! Seriously, I wanna send you guys a thank-you fruit basket or something for finally doing this guy right. I would, too... but I spent on my money on multiple Thing/Shellhead sets! :tongue:

- Colossus (from Wave 47) and Cyclops from... uh-oh, haven't announced that one yet. Soon.

What the WHAT?!! :woot:

Speaking of the best, I finally got my hands on the 6-armed Spidey/Lizard pack from Wave 37, and it's my new favorite. My first Spidey comic was Amazing 101: first appearance of Morbius, first full appearance of 6-Armed Spidey, and Lizard shows up at the very end. Best!

It's a really great set. I grew up reading that issue a lot too. But y'know what we reeeeeally need?

More Morbius! MOAR-BIUS! :lol:

Series two...

Hulk vs Abomination

Daredevil vs Bullseye

Classic Cyclops with Phoenix or Modern Cyclops with Emma Frost (edit- whichever one Zach didn't just "mistakenly" announce)

Nick Fury & Luke Cage

Edited by Mirymate

Zach, if you guys do pursue future 'Best of' sets, can I make one suggestion that each pack represent a hero and a villain? I think if you are looking to bring new collectors into the fold with these, or even just generate some impulse buys at the register, a pair up of a hero with one of their villains is the way to go!

Looking forward to picking up some of these sets, seems like they are all winners!

I love that people are asking for more of the line some of you were chasing with torches a month ago. :lol:

I think it's more that this wave was announced right alongside wave... oh, I don't remember the number. The one with the other Cap/Thor pack. So they seemed too similar. But, with the spacing between waves, it's not a problem. And, look, this is what we do: we bitch about them when they are announced, then love them when we get them.

Hey, if retailers come back to DCD asking for another wave of superstars, or if we totally sell out of it, maybe we'll do it, but right now this is meant to be an evergreen wave. BUT here's an idea for how build your own Wave 2:

And, as an evergreen wave, I think it's a really smart idea, and I hope it's a big success in drawing new/lapsed retailers and fans to Minimates. But it DOES say "Best of One" or some such on the back of the package... :whistling:

As for your DD/Bullseye recommendation, hellpop. It's good, but I'd swap the DD to an updated yellow version. Sure, he didn't fight Bullseye in that costume historically, but with 2 red DD releases happening now/soon, it'd make that set much more palatable.

I agree with you about DD, but remember, we (longtime collectors) aren't the target audience. Redoing Daredevil in his most recognizable outfit (maybe with his gloves and boots a different shade of red as Hasbro's done?) makes more sense for the Best Of wave.

Edited by hellpop

I agree with you about DD, but remember, we (longtime collectors) aren't the target audience. Redoing Daredevil in his most recognizable outfit (maybe with his gloves and boots a different shade of red as Hasbro's done?) makes more sense for the Best Of wave.

A good point. And I'll concede that by the time these hypothetically came out, it'd be awhile since the 2 recent red DD's I cited, so it'd make plenty of sense. ... still, I want that yellow DD but am unwilling to give a spot in a regular series up for him. I'm sneaky! :no: Hee hee

What about making a "Sorry for the previous case packouts" wave with a new or re-done character? :tongue:

- TRU Warpath (blue/red costume) / Stryfe

- Wave 31 First Appearance X-Men Angel / Toad (as seen in the old poster)

- TRU X-Factor Angel / Apocalypse (bulked up with new parts)

- Daredevil (multiple shades of red) / TRU Bullseye

I don't think there were many people actually actively against this wave Zach, just not exactly enamoured. We'd realised and accepted there weren't intended for us, and welcomed them as a resource for bringing in new folk.

It was the final, out of package pics that actually won us over. These mates are beautifully executed, and in most cases are the best (perhaps even definitive) versions to date.

That is certainly how I feel, anyone else?

hang on...

'if retailers come back to DCD asking for another wave of superstars'

DCD? did you forget who you work for?

EDIT - I like that potential line-up, gives us the posibility of a Rhino without the strange bands on his wrists and ankles.

Edited by dj87