UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never understand why people think we need a new Spider-Woman, but if we get one, the Best Of waves are the best place for her.

It's the hair for me. I would like a new Spider-Woman and Silver Sable beacuse of those older hair pieces that don't hold up very well with the newer style stuff. It wouldn't be an issue if they had the holes in their heads but they don't so I can't swap it out with the newer hair that has the pegs on the inside.

Edited by MisterMiracle

you have one of two easy fixes at your disposal: drill a hole in the top of the head, or slice of the peg inside of the hairpiece

I'd also like a Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman. Maybe with Anya Corazon as an alternate figure

Edited by Mnemosis

I tend to believe that older minimates of popular characters should be revisited from time to time just to make sure product is available. We get I don't even know how many versions of A-listers several times a year. I wouldn't complain about getting a refresher of B-listers within a decade of release. Spider-Woman 1 came out in 2005 with the alternate head version coming a year or so later. The hair and general level of detail don't really match current 'mates. As long as minimates continue to evolve, characters will have to be updated here and there. I think that as a general rule, anything from Wave 13 or earlier sticks out among later 'mates (there are, of course, always exceptions).

I actually meant that the other six characters he mentioned seemed more likely than any that had been mentioned, but then, I never thought Power Man and Iron Fist would be in a series, so who knows what will happen.

Not sure Ultron is comparable to Bishop or Spider-Woman, either.

Personally, I wouldn't question ANY female characters being considered for the "best of" series. Psylocke is of course a major player today, but in a different decade one might question that status. I certainly wouldn't have considered Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) as "best of" quality 10 years ago. She was maybe "classic" as Ms. Marvel but has significantly made a come back in recent years. As far as a Spider Woman, or War Zone goes, these are great Ideas that could help keep the "best of" series from only featuring Spider Mans, or Iron Man variations. Sort of a compromise. They satisfy a similar urge while still introducing updated versions of characters we don't already have 10 of. I also liked the idea of Juggernaut because at this point he has only been released in a 4 pack.... One could argue the term "best of" would be based off of sales and not character popularity... Can-of-worms, you have officially been opened!

"Best of" should be about characters that people want to collect, gateway figures that'll get them hooked on the Minimatesâ„¢ brand. That's why Iron Fist and Power Man found their way into Series 3; both have upcoming TV series on Netflix and their stars are on the rise. I fully expect to see Series 4 include Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and maybe even Jessica Jones if ratings warrant it.

My Minimates 'gateway drug' was The Uncanny X-Force Box set. Not willing to pay $150 for the 3.75 version of Archangel on ebay I payed about $17 for the 4 Minimates. Hooked ever since.... so satisfied in fact I saved my invoice!

One could argue the term "best of" would be based off of sales and not character popularity...

It is based off which will sell the best, yes. And the characters that will sell the best are the characters with movies or TV shows or any kind of hype outside the world of comic books. Remember, these are timeless waves, ones that we might potentially re-run later (we already have, actually), so even current comic success is not a motivation to include a comic character, especially since different books sell better in different shops. If anything, we should include a currently hot comic character in the regular assortments, as with All-New X-Men.

WIth the Best of assortments, retailers are trying to introduce new collectors to the MM line, by giving them access to the core heroes and occasionally villains of the Marvel U. Storm is great, and while you can argue that any character is somebody's favorite, and a potential entry point for them, the odds are that a young collector is more likely to want Cap or Spidey before Storm, and having those main characters readily available is going to inspire them to seek out older product of less popular characters, some of which might still be in stock at the store.

I'm not sure people don't "understand" the line, but rather are looking for creative ways to both appeal to brand new and seasoned collectors. Whereas Zach's reply to my quote is direct and states the obvious, it also provides clarity where grey area's exist... hence Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I'm sure many could argue they are less popular than War Machine, but there seems to be re vamped hype around those characters as well. I appreciate learning about the behind the scenes stuff!

To those who are questioning the Luke Cage and Iron Fist two-pack, it may seem like a surprise now, but don't forget that they are both about to have their own Netflix series, so it makes more sense in the long term than it might when they were first announced.