UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a long time, that was one of my favorite Minimates of all. I just love the Punisher's outfit design, and thought it fit the Minimate aesthetic well. But the sculpted belts, details on the tampos, guns, hairdo, and color scheme are all better on the Best of version IMO. I do like the original's face a bit more, though.

In fact, it wouldn't even be "through the ages" as much as through three separate books - the Bradstreet influenced look of his solo book, the post-Solid Snake look from Superior Team-Up, and then a modified T-bolts look. All three look and read like three separate Punishers.

After seeing Wave 3 at C2E2, I'm even more excited to get these in hand.

Here's my wishlist for Best Of Wave 4, following the no villains/no females from Wave 3.

- Classic Black Panther & Stealth Iron Man

- Classic Falcon & "The Captain"

- Weapon X Wolverine & Classic Professor X (reuse DoFP wheelchair)

- 90's Ghost Rider & Clone Saga Scarlet Spider

Maybe an updated Bucky would make sense with Falcon, though putting two sidekicks in the same pack could be problematic for the Best of series. Black Panther also could really use an update, because that mask makes his head look a bit too bulky IMO (which I actually blame on the eye placement more than the mask itself). Classic Prof. X is a good idea.

I would like to see them take another crack and brown/tan Wolverine, as the color scheme on the last one was more like the Secret Wars figure than the comic. Cockrum Cyclops, Colossus, and Storm need an update, as well, and blue furry Beast (non Jim Lee version), though I understand if DST is reserving him for a new Defenders set. Then, we are still missing some important Rogue looks from the '80s. I'm not really satisfied with any of the Rogues released so far.

Others who could use an update--Archangel, yellow/black Daredevil, non-transparent Vision, '90s Blade, Mystique (though we also need several other "Brotherhood" members yet to be released), Quicksilver (still don't have green Brotherhood/early Avengers version), Gambit and Asian Psylocke don't really need updates from a figure design POV, but are highly sought after on the secondary market with only one release of those awhile back.

Edited by karamazov80

Your choices are good, but much like the Grey Hulk of Wave 3 I'm afraid if we get a new Scarlet Spider in that wave the chances of us getting a Jackal or Kaine drop substantially.

How about either a new Spidey 2099 or Iron Spider then?

Maybe an updated Bucky would make sense with Falcon, though putting two sidekicks in the same pack could be problematic for the Best of series. Black Panther also could really use an update, because that mask makes his head look a bit too bulky IMO (which I actually blame on the eye placement more than the mask itself). Classic Prof. X is a good idea.

Maybe we could get a new Bucky paired with Nomad Cap at some point? I agree on Black Panther, definitely needs more releases given the longevity of the character.

We could fill 3 or 4 Best of Waves with just X-Men characters. I still don't feel we've gotten the perfect Colossus either...

Your choices are good, but much like the Grey Hulk of Wave 3 I'm afraid if we get a new Scarlet Spider in that wave the chances of us getting a Jackal or Kaine drop substantially.

How about either a new Spidey 2099 or Iron Spider then?

YES. Especially 2099. But both would work.

For some reason I feel like DST might not view 2099 as Spider-Man, the same way they didn't see Commander Steve Rogers as Captain America.

And the '90s. And the 2000s. And the right nows.

That's probably true, but no one wants those, so no biggie.

I think Rogue's done much better than many Marvel characters on the new costume front, they could totally do a Rogue Through The Decades set. Her scarf costume from Legacy was great, the current hooded look in Uncanny Avengers, her OG costume to go with the Secret Wars mates...

We already have a great Jim Lee costume, so my other '90s fave would be this:

542431-picture_028.jpg

...it's a bit objectifying I guess, but they could always pair her with this Hawkeye, to even things out:

clint.jpg

From the direction the Marvel movies are going along with DST envisioning "Best of" being a starting point for new collectors I'll go with this for wave 4:

• Hulkbuster Iron Man (different paint job) & Ultron
  • Professor X (classic with dofp chair) & Magneto
  • Black Suit Spider-Man & Kraven
  • Weapon x Wolverine (with pants for battle damaged look) & Dark Phoenix

Hulkbuster might be saved for Avengers 2, just in case, lol. (Also gives me hope for an updated Pietro)

For me, I just hope we get some females and villains,.

Female wise, Sue/Wasp/Storm/Rogue/Jean could be included and still match the consistency of being easy to sell, easy to market, and easy to make (Save for Wasp, but even then, she'll move units for people who want her wings, lol.)

Villain wise, Electro, Black Cat, and Hobgoblin seem like a shoo in (ASM2 Hype), otherwise, Bullseye/Sinister Six would do well.

Or updates to Panther would be nice too.

Edited by Zexion_Armando

From the direction the Marvel movies are going along with DST envisioning "Best of" being a starting point for new collectors I'll go with this for wave 4:

• Hulkbuster Iron Man (different paint job) & Ultron
  • Professor X (classic with dofp chair) & Magneto
  • Black Suit Spider-Man & Kraven
  • Weapon x Wolverine (with pants for battle damaged look) & Dark Phoenix

That's a great wave. I would buy all of them except Xavier & Magneto cause I already have them. And I hope the next Weapon X come with the helmet.