UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, we did want them to be appealing to all.

Not sure Abomination has come up, but the minute they bring him back in the movies, I'm sure we'll take another look.

Well, he did show up with a new look in Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. , which is such a gimmicky, kid-targeted, cartoon which for some reason has no merchandise tie-in.

The only critique I would have about these best of waves, and it's not even a criticism of what's in the waves themselves, is that I can think of a lot of great two packs some of these 'mates would have fit in well with, that would've allowed us to get new characters also, but I can't hold that against these waves themselves.

@Zach, when are we getting these? The last two waves showed up in Feb/Jan I believe and we're way past that. Was there any hesitation about the 3rd wave? Was it all the new brands you're working on that sidelined this for a little while?

The only critique I would have about these best of waves, and it's not even a criticism of what's in the waves themselves, is that I can think of a lot of great two packs some of these 'mates would have fit in well with, that would've allowed us to get new characters also, but I can't hold that against these waves themselves.

To be fair, many of these characters DID come with new characters when they were released in earlier assortments. But the whole point of the wave is to deliver recognizable characters to retailers who don't want lesser-known characters, in the hopes that the new sales will lead to interest in other, more diverse assortments. And as you've seen, using characters in a Best of assortment does not mean they will not be used in the future. Since they ARE mostly recognizable characters, and some are getting even more recognizable, it's still possible these characters will appear in other versions elsewhere down the road, with different pack-in figures, some of them new.

@Zach, when are we getting these? The last two waves showed up in Feb/Jan I believe and we're way past that. Was there any hesitation about the 3rd wave? Was it all the new brands you're working on that sidelined this for a little while?

Was this stated to be an annual event? Because it's absolutely not. There was no schedule to hesitate on or be sidelined from. We talk to the Diamond Comics sales team on a monthly basis, and this was when we decided it was time for a new assortment. Solicitation to release is generally 5-7 months, but since these use existing tooling, it might not be that long. But don't expect a Series 4 to be announced exactly a year from now.

I never bought any pack from 'Best of' waves 'cause I really never felt I needed the new figures (well... that transforming Bruce Banner is killer though...) but I gotta have this new Luke Cage! Not so sure about this new Iron Fist... dunno if it's gonna be so much different from Shadowland one...

And Gray Hulk will be a nice addition to my Hulk family!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got a question, mainly for Zach, but not sure if anyone can answer it until these are out, hahaha.

You guys think that Iron Man will have the hip problem like the one that came packaged with...... (Who was it?) .....Rhino?

Edited by Scythe

I was wondering the same thing but after taking a closer look at the image, they don't appear to be the same legs at all.

Besides, that old Iron Man figure does not deserve to be anywhere near an assortment called "Best of."

Although it would be ironically appropriate.

i think best of waves are nice for people who are just getting into the line.

i got a lot of people into this line recently and they all bought best of waves from B&N. so i know for a fact this line is beneficial to the brand.

plus i picked up the best of Goblin and its such a nice set!

I actually think they're nice for older, more hardcore collectors as well. Some of these characters have never been so well done in these looks--Punisher for example, but arguably Mr. Fantastic, Daredevil, and blue/yellow Wolvie, as well. I still need to pick that Wolvie up, because I've got several of the wave 28 versions, but the color isn't accurate to most of those old comics.

I don't mean to imply they aren't good, they just aren't "perfect" the way a lot of the Best Of versions are. The Best Of Daredevil is perfect in my eyes, there's nothing I can think of to change. I don't have a Punisher that I feel like is perfect in every way, even if they are still very good.

The Warzone Punisher was a great figure... but from a comics point of you, i've always really loved the one that came with Battle Damage Cap. I'm not sure if he was the first one to be released, or if the one that came with Blade was?
That exclusive Punisher was so simple, but so nicely done. The packaging was great too. I loved the art on the box.

pack0118f_lg.jpg

Hail Ivan.