UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time a wave was all new? I'm not being cynical, I'm trying to remember.

If you class Angel as being a totally different character to Archangel then Wave 31 was the last all new character wave.Wave 23 is perhaps the last all new character wave but somebody might venture that War Machine is perhaps an IM variant so we need to get to Wave 16 before we find the last all new character wave . Oddly or obviously enough the characters in Wave 16 feature heavily in the current redo thread.

I'd have bought this wave anyway but on the strength of what I've learned in this thread I'm actually looking forward to them now.

I've no problem with this wave; I always thought it would be a good idea for DST to have an "evergreen" set of Minimates featuring the big guns that could be ordered at any time so that someone could get the big guns right away. Personally, I would think box sets would make more sense, because retailers could keep ordering them as needed; believe me, there are plenty of comic shops out there that won't order a full case of something-even if they have a customer that will buy part of it- if they don't think they can sell through. Plenty of us have had to get our Minimates online because our LCBS won't order them for us. I appreciate DST looking to change that problem and get retailers interested in Minimates again.

I just wish this best of wave meant that we could be free from endless Cap, Thor, Iron Man, and Spidey redos in the main line. But I think we all know that's just not gonna happen.

There's a certain amount of irony that Thor has taken Wolverine's place on that list, since he only had one minimate for the longest time. And Odinson still doesn't come close to Logan for sheer volume. Yet there does seem to be some definite Thor fatigue settling in.

I think it's going to happen with any character made too often. We all want Kang, Winter Soldier, Falcon and Baron Zemo, but if we suddenly started getting them in almost every wave for a couple years, we would get pretty tired of them too. I remember when Thor was first announced, and the rejoicing that followed, and I don't begrudge Thor becoming an A-lister, but the number of Thor 'mates relative to other Thor characters is pretty disproportionate.

There's a certain amount of irony that Thor has taken Wolverine's place on that list, since he only had one minimate for the longest time. And Odinson still doesn't come close to Logan for sheer volume. Yet there does seem to be some definite Thor fatigue settling in.

True. And, with Thor, they've done a good job in using his many different looks over the years (or, should I say, through the ages :biggrin:) to make us some nice variations. I think that DST is guilty of the same thing Hasbro is, to a much bigger extent: they've assumed that movies have made these characters bigger stars, and there's no real proof that this is true.

I have a much stricter definition of who is "A List" and who isn't then most. In the Marvel Universe, traditionally, it's Spider-Man, the Hulk, the X-Men collectively, possibly Captain America, probably Wolverine. That's it, those are the only characters that can carry their own title AND have near universal public recognition. Blade doesn't get in because Marvel can't get people to buy a Blade comic book to save their lives (which proves that successful movies don't make a damn bit of difference in selling monthly comic books); guys like Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil, the Punisher... they just aren't that well known outside of comics fans.

Now, it's true that Iron Man has made the leap, thanks to the movie. But the market has become flooded with Iron Man products, and a higher profile just doesn't mean that people want to buy Iron Man things. Hasbro has been the worst offender, pumping out Iron Man figures in the Marvel Universe and Legends toy lines despite the fact that pegs everywhere are clogged with Iron Man movie toys in the same scale. Thor? the jury's still out, but I don't think his movie made him any more of a household name then he was before. Certainly, Thor toys aren't flying off the shelves.

Bringing this too-long post back to Minimates... I don't think there's the unlimited demand for Minimates of these guys that DST assumes. Maybe I'm wrong. But I'm glad that the Best Of wave ended out being spaced apart from the Avengers wave that it was originally announced with; otherwise, I can well imagine Cap/Thor packs from both waves competing against each other, with neither winning.

I don't question this wave at all Zach, like you said it's designed to appeal to new collectors. My question is that it seems like there's a lot of 'mates that are made for that reason, including some of these same characters just recently, and the number of 'mates made to draw in new collectors seems to vastly outweigh the new characters at times.

Because the number of non-collectors of Minimates outweighs the number of collectors. The number of people who don't own a Minimate Spider-Man FAR outweighs the number of people who do. If we close ourselves off to them, the line stagnates and dies. And the CHARACTERS in this wave were picked for new collectors, but the idea of a WAVE of A-listers was made to appeal to retailers. The best way to get new collectors is to get into outlets that were previously closed to us.

I know you guys are making Vindicator, and I applaud that and will be front and center to pick one up when it hits the shelf. I guess my wish was that every once in a while we'd see a wave that was just for long term collectors, with nothing but new characters. We come close with some of the TRU waves, and don't think I don't appreciate it, but it seems like there are a lot more Age of X and Curse of the Mutants style sets than Galactus sets, which was AWESOME by the way.

When was the last time a wave was all new? I'm not being cynical, I'm trying to remember.

Given that we've now made all of the A-listers and a good portion of the B-listers, I doubt we'll ever see an entirely new wave ever again, but that's just me. Perhaps there is a way to make a single wave that's technically all new characters, but with enough simulacrums of A-listers that it would be appealing to retailers/casual fans, but it would have to be a carefully constructed monster. That said, I'm looking into a way to make Wave 50 a collector-appreciation wave. Marvel Minimates turn 10 in 2013, and the 50th wave should fall in that timeframe.

Zach, that would be AMAZING, I did the work for you! :thumbsup:;)

- Kang

- Falcon

- Winter Soldier

- Squirrel Girl

- GSXM Banshee

- GSXM Sunfire (variant)

- 90's X-Factor Multiple Man army builder Mandroids (w/ SHILED bodies underneath)

Fixed that for you. Find a way to work in Commander Rogers and Nick Fury and you've got me for the next 10 years, too, Zach. :yes:

Umm, where's Baron Zemo on that list? Didn't he get more votes than anyone on that poll? He should be the variant, original hooded look and modern tight mask version. I don't think you need to put Banshee up there, we get enough X-Men waves and box sets that he'll definitely get made someday.

I don't get the affection for Squirrel Girl, but if you guys want her Godspeed.

I agree, they don't *need* a collector appreciation wave to be released, and of course all of this is subjective, but to me Banshee and Sunfire fit perfectly into an appreciation wave as they have been long overdue for release, going back almost the entire length of the 10 years Minimates have almost been around when the Giant Size X-Men boxset was released. They were some of the first characters that people have been asking for, even back before we got Thor in Wave 16.

I'm going to disagree with you a litle bit, HP. I think at this point, Wolverine and Cap are A-listers. This has not as much to do with the popularity of their books, (How many times has Superman's titles been near the bottom of sales numbers in recent decades kept alive more by profeesional pride than anything else?), but as to how near universibly recognised they are by non-comics fans. Iron-Man is on the verge of making that jump; that first movie was that strong. But only time will tell if he can stay there and really make the leap to the A-List permenetly

Comics sales IMO can no longer be used as a mark of A or B listers I'm afraid. Witht the death of the feeder markets, I'm afraid we may see the end of monthly books as we know and love them in our lifetime. (If you care to debate that statement, fine, but we better take it to a new thread)

And Zach is right... even LCS waves are gonna need an A-lister or two as an anchor. I can live with that. I think most of us can. We would like to see a higher new to redo ratio than say Wave 44 as a general rule. And yes, you at DST should be justly proud of including Stilt Man. Don't rest on your laurels, continue to dig deep into the wonderful world of Marvel's third, fourth, and fifth stringers. I am literally begging you too.

As far as a fan appreciation wave... I get the Squirrel Girl love, I do. But personally I think if it comes down to it there are other characters we have collectively waited longer for >cough<Toad>cough< that deserve the slot over her. And theoretically we'll be scratching one name off that list before the year's done.

One solitary event drew me back into comics after a 15-20 year absence .... a friend of mine who was benefiting from the final :rolleyes: expungement of my comic collection lent me his latest Cap comic. That was during the Death of Cap/ Winter Soldier run for those of you who aren't hanging themselves from hearing the story before. That ,in turn,led to my Minimate obsession.

I still read what my friend,Richard,gives me ....Cap is crap,Thor is often unintelligible whilst any Avengers title (I've seen lately) is complete bollocks ,too many characters too little depth. The new FF run ...which I've read & then re-read is perhaps the only time in a long time that I've wondered whether it is the beer :confused:

Regards Minimates , the belief that there is a reliance on these characters' popularity is IMO ....flawed.

I think it's the most fantastic thing in the world that Zach is attempting to do something that kind for Series 50. Top notch, kind thinking.

There are LOTS of characters that people want in a "Collector's Dream" set.

But (I feel) if Kang doesn't come out this summer at SDCC, he NEEDS to be included in that wave. He's the character that's been most naggingly asked for (thank you, thank you) for at LEAST 6 years and it'd be nothing short than a thumb-in-the-eye if he didn't get released in something like that.

I appreciate everybody's "top wanted" characters... but that blue-faced bastard has years of seniority.

edited for overly-inflated Kang-opinionated-ness

Edited by Mystery Man