UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

I think that the "Fantastic 4" brand name is off limits. For example, you can still make Thing in his new Guardian of the Galaxy uniform, but you can't make a Thing dressed in his F4 uniform. I'm not so sure about this theory, but that's what I've gathered from the AskDST's and the way Marvel's been promoting their comics lately.

Edited by Kostisfire

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, this is pure speculation on my part, but I thought I remembered a quote from Zack that Marvel had turned down Fantastic Four related characters as well, but then again it was a while ago when I read that.

I seem to think he was saying that the Fantastic Four wave we got was good timing, because Marvel had told them not to do any characters from that part of the universe going forward.

The company I work for has the Marvel Comics license and we've been discouraged from using any FF or X-Men characters in favor of the following:

Iron Man

Hulk

Thor

Loki

Captain America

Red Skull

Falcon

Black Widow

Hawkeye

Spider-Man

Green Goblin

Baron Zemo

Doctor Octopus

Arnim Zola

Black Bolt

Medusa

MODOK

Dormammu

Karnak

Dr. Strange

Black Panther

Luke Cage

Spider-Woman

Iron Fist

Nova

She-Hulk

Ghost Rider

Daredevil

Lockjaw

I'd say that, as far as Marvel is concerned at this moment, these are the evergreen characters they'll be pushing to retailers. Again, that's just my take and there's usually wiggle room but at the end of the day, it's Marvel's call.

For what it's worth, this lineup was very different just 18 months ago. Lots more mutants and FFers, zero Inhumans.

The company I work for has the Marvel Comics license and we've been discouraged from using any FF or X-Men characters in favor of the following:

Iron Man

Hulk

Thor

Loki

Captain America

Red Skull

Falcon

Black Widow

Hawkeye

Spider-Man

Green Goblin

Baron Zemo

Doctor Octopus

Arnim Zola

Black Bolt

Medusa

MODOK

Dormammu

Karnak

Dr. Strange

Black Panther

Luke Cage

Spider-Woman

Iron Fist

Nova

She-Hulk

Ghost Rider

Daredevil

Lockjaw

I'd say that, as far as Marvel is concerned at this moment, these are the evergreen characters they'll be pushing to retailers. Again, that's just my take and there's usually wiggle room but at the end of the day, it's Marvel's call.

For what it's worth, this lineup was very different just 18 months ago. Lots more mutants and FFers, zero Inhumans.

No Moon Knight makes me sad....But hey, Ghost Rider's there so hells yeah!

From today's Ask DST:

Kyle R.: Hey Chuck, now, I know Marvel Select isn’t a team-building line, but come on, please? We have Dr. Strange coming. We have Silver Surfer. We have umpteen versions of the Hulk. Can we have Namor to finish off the classic Defenders line? Please? Valkyrie too, since she was their first new member and looks awesome! Please again? Thanks!

DSTChuck: For the time being, we are going to be skipping FF characters, but certainly no door has been closed on ever doing a Namor figure.

Also from today's Ask DST

Christian Y.

Please please pleaaase make a movie Deadpool for the Marvel Select line. Gentle Giant sculpt and articulation too with alternate Ryan Reynolds Wade head.

DSTChuck: I do not think we have any plans for more Select figures based on the X-Men family of movies.

HOPES AND DREAMS: CRUSHED.

Well, they had to cancel the last one (Mystique), so maybe that left a bad taste in their mouths.

The reasons for that were pretty odd. Something about it being "canceled due to actress Jennifer Lawrence declining to participate for it?" Her agent must be pretty merchandise-savvy because I doubt she had that kind of power when she first signed on to the X-franchise. That was before Hunger Games hit so I imagine that kind of veto power had to be relatively recent.

Glad she didn't veto the Minimates.

I always thought that actors have to approve their likenesses. As for Minimates, Chuck has said in the past that Minimates are able to avoid some of those pitfalls because the Minimate design doesn't need to be approved by the actor. That's how they were able to get the Clint Eastwood western sets made.

I know this is just people throwing ideas around, but keep in mind that Chuck has said in Ask DST that a FOURTH Best-of Wave is not planned, and (I believe) unlikely, given that the first three were each designed to provide retailers with a selection of mainstream characters to supplement regular assortments.

Not that characters like Vision and Widow aren't getting more popular now, but the question is whether retailers need more of them beyond what is in a regular assortment.

Just out of curiosity do think the best of waves were successful in a way that was different to a regular wave (if that makes sense).

I believe they have been successful, because all of them have sold through their original runs already. But the point of these is that we will keep them in stock, so when we sell out, we make more. No REAL need to make a fourth series if the first three are still filling their original purpose.

Slightly different reasons for Lugosi's likeness issues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Celebrities_Rights_Act

TL,DR Universal can't use Lugosi's likeness without getting prior permission/paying royalties to/from Lugosi's family. This expires 70 years after his death, or 2026.

My guess is that Universal specifically doesn't permit or allow his likeness to be used in their merchandise out of spite.

Once that 70 year restriction is up though...

EDIT: Sideshow did release a Lugosi estate approved Universal Dracula about 15 years ago, not sure what the specifics were there.

Edited by youbastards

That's what they keep saying but look at their Dracula. Bela Lugosi didn't have fangs.

fig1191flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan!)

Exactly. Minimates do not use likenesses.

For non-Minimates figures, actors can choose not to approve likenesses, even if likenesses are included in our rights.

Slightly different reasons for Lugosi's likeness issues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Celebrities_Rights_Act

TL,DR Universal can't use Lugosi's likeness without getting prior permission/paying royalties to/from Lugosi's family. This expires 70 years after his death, or 2026.

My guess is that Universal specifically doesn't permit or allow his likeness to be used in their merchandise out of spite.

Once that 70 year restriction is up though...

I've worked with Universal on this license. They have agreements in place with everyone but the Legosi Estate for Bela's likeness. That requires a separate license, and therefore an additional round of approvals and greater royalties. This is why Universal has their own generic Dracula with fangs that can't be mistaken for Lugosi but is available to licensees.

If you check out DST's Select line of figures, you'll notice all of them look just like the specific actor except Drac. Many licensees don't want to pay those extra fees.* That and Nancy Lugosi is notoriously difficult to deal with.

As for why his fang-free "likeness" wasn't used on Minimates, I'm betting Universal didn't want to ruffle Nancy's feathers and DST didn't want to jeopardize their relationship with Universal. (If they tried using Bela's likeness at all.)

* Sideshow did a similar line of Universal Monsters figures with gorgeous sculpts and pretty decent articulation. They didn't offer a Bela Lugosi Dracula until the fifth (and final) assortment due to budget and approval issues. In order to save money, that figure is essentially a plastic statue with much of the articulation removed to offset the additional cost of the likeness rights.

I know this is just people throwing ideas around, but keep in mind that Chuck has said in Ask DST that a FOURTH Best-of Wave is not planned, and (I believe) unlikely, given that the first three were each designed to provide retailers with a selection of mainstream characters to supplement regular assortments.

Not that characters like Vision and Widow aren't getting more popular now, but the question is whether retailers need more of them beyond what is in a regular assortment.

Just out of curiosity do think the best of waves were successful in a way that was different to a regular wave (if that makes sense).

I believe they have been successful, because all of them have sold through their original runs already. But the point of these is that we will keep them in stock, so when we sell out, we make more. No REAL need to make a fourth series if the first three are still filling their original purpose.

That's what I was wondering though, are the stores reordering them to have perennial stock or did most stores just treat them like another wave at the time and moved on when the next regular wave came along? It's a shame if that's the case because they have been some of the best marvel figs and it would be nice to get them at retail whenever the whim strikes.

I doubt that comic book stores reorder them, but they do give DST an in at big retail chains. Barnes and Noble bought a lot of wave one, and I've seen these at some of those brainy toy and game stores that don't usually carry Minimates. I think it's a really good idea to have a perennial set of the heavy hitters available (or close to available) for new retailers.

• 3 years later...

@DSTZach - any chance of more Best Of/Greatest Hits assortments?  

It looks like DST is out of stock on the store website.  A couple Marvel Cinematic Universe themed assortments would be VERY welcome, as a lot of the early MCU mates could use a redo.

Edited by youbastards