UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

No idea if B&N will carry this series, or whether they've ordered Series 1 more than once. They may have restocked, but I'm not sure why that's silly -- the point of the series is to keep a store stocked with famous faces. I believe they're selling impulse purchases and gift ideas, not trying to lure in collectors

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the point of the "Best of" assortments was to offer nothing but familiar faces. These are all evergreen characters, are they not? Seen on TV and/or in films? Higher Q scores than, say, your Boomer or your Sin-Eater.

I don't know. If I were Geoffrey the Giraffe, I'd want to make sure that a kid who likes Spider-Man (from the cartoon or the movies) can walk into my store at any time and buy Spider-Man product that looks like the Spider-Man I know. Not like this thing. Same with all the other characters, especially if I'm also stocking more obscure characters anyway.

Seems like "Best of" is ideal for all retailers who sell Minimates.

PL, I was just saying that, even though B&N definitely carries Series 1, I did not know if they had re-ordered that same series, since pappymojo thought it was silly they "only" stocked Series 1. Maybe it's the same order they're working through, in which case buying Series 2 would be premature. Or maybe they bought more Series 1, because why should they care which series it is? If they sell out, great -- they may just see what Best of series we have in stock and order that. If it's more Series 1, great. I don't think they're saying, "Let's give the collectors who bought Series 1 something different," They're saying, "Let's sell more of those awesome Best of Marvel Minimates to people who come in for books and magazines and coffee."

I think TRU as a toy retailer is less interested in keeping the same assortments/looks around. They want a refresh with different characters, because collectors ARE their business. Given where they usually stock us, I do not think they would want the big name heroes looking exactly the same in each assortment.

Good points. I just think it's odd that "Best of" isn't sold as a small line (sub-line?) rather than a single assortment of eight characters.

Hey, if something's selling, great. Keep pushing that first series. If it starts to wane, it might be time to push a different series. Which I'm sure your sales force already knows. I'd just expect a retailer that had success with the first "Best of Elton John" album to try offering the next when it becomes available, assuming they know it does exist.

(And yes, Marvel = Elton John.)

I don't know how many Best of Elton John albums there are, but, to a certain extent, no matter how many new songs he records, his greatest hits are probably going to stay more or less the same. So most stores will only NEED to stock one.

But if we're talking about a multi-volume greatest hits collection, where each volume has a new batch of remastered songs, then it seems like that would be something certain stores would want to keep all three volumes of in stock, and big Elton John fans would want to own all of, especially if Crocodile Rock is only in Volume 2.

And... Isn't this a sub-line? There are three series and 24 figures. We make a new series whenever the sales team asks for one, so apparently they know when to move on. We may do a fourth someday.

I always thought it would make sense for TRU to have an evergreen box set with Spidey, Cap, Iron Man and Wolverine (or something like that). A four pack just says "starter kit" to me. That way, you'd always have those core characters in stock, and you wouldn't have to worry so much about mixing them in to the regular assortments. I know that I'd probably have bought a ton as gifts or Toys for Tots donations over the years.

They absolutely produced another run of best of 1. There's different copyright dates on the figures and slightly different stands.

Hey bigvis,

What copyright year is on the later ones ....2014 ?

Purely out of interest does the packaging differ in any way ..... coding , dates ? I'm also going to guess that you no longer have the packaging ? biggrin.png

I've been meaning to give significant kudos to DST for printing Luke Cage's arm skin details OVER the yellow paint/plastic instead of vice versa! Sure, a little yellow may show when his elbows are bent, but at least the skin tone matches. This is one of those little details that really stands out for me. thumbsup.gif

By the way, please sign me up for an Elton John Minimates box set. Donald Duck costume, crocodile costume from the Muppet Show appearance, outfit from cover of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," and modern, overweight Elton with hairpiece.

I've been meaning to give significant kudos to DST for printing Luke Cage's arm skin details OVER the yellow paint/plastic instead of vice versa! Sure, a little yellow may show when his elbows are bent, but at least the skin tone matches. This is one of those little details that really stands out for me. thumbsup.gif

I agree, that's a thing that you don't notice so much when it's done right but it really stands out when done wrong. My only complaint with Cage (and probably the whole set besides the the usual list of problems with Spider-Man) is that they packed him with the silver parts on the figure itself. It looks good in the package but it's very likely you'll end up with silver marks on the belt and boots if you remove them.