UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow you guys really do not do a lot of listening

not only has Zach mentioned a TRU fan poll box set coming, but he just told us about an entire comic x-men assortment, not to mention we have 3 other comic box sets on the way and a comic wave that JUST hit

I probably said exactly the same thing when the last 'best of' wave came out, but these 'mates are fantastic and I'm absolutely looking forward to getting hold of them, even as someone who has been collecting for the best part of ten years.

These are bright, colourful, and (for me) that perfect sweet spot between simplicity and detail. While the 'intended target' may be the new/casual buyers starting collections or buying gifts, all the little extra parts completely feel like a cheeky nod to long term collectors... just a nice reminder we're being thought about.

These figures and pairings, as well as the previous waves (especially Spidey/Goblin from the first wave) really take me back to the first time I saw minimates in real life. I'd never heard of them before, but absolutely loved this big display of Marvel and DC figures, tiny and instantly recognisable. I bought a load, took them straight home and played with them. I was 19 and hadn't played with toys in years. As silly as it may sound, I try and imagine how I'd feel if I'd never seen a minimate before, then saw one of these waves in my LCS... I'd grab them all without a second thought.

Luke has been B+ since Bendis brought the character to the Avengers, he may have lapsed for a few months but now hes back leading an Avengers team

Iron Fist i'd say is also B list, maybe B- but he was on the Avengers for the last few years, then sorta declined after Defenders

It's like "sweet, after all this time we're getting them re-released"... and yet they're so close to perfect for fans of both looks but... not.

Well, Best Of is typically parts reuse. I don't think the old Iron Fist collar holds up to current stuff. Maybe the Morbius collar would work?

Morbius collar would need a teeny bit if retooling to make it pointy at the tops. I'd prefer that most of all but would be satisfied and happy even with the old chest cover.

OR... they could just cut the old collar off that chest block and use that new piece, modified so very slightly from an existing one.

Well, Best Of is typically parts reuse. I don't think the old Iron Fist collar holds up to current stuff. Maybe the Morbius collar would work?

Morbius collar would need a teeny bit if retooling to make it pointy at the tops. I'd prefer that most of all but would be satisfied and happy even with the old chest cover.

OR... they could just cut the old collar off that chest block and use that new piece, modified so very slightly from an existing one.

These are great! Luke and Danny are awesome! Hulk is superb. Ant Man would be cooler if he came with a painted puppet master puppet. The rest are good....

@Zach - BO2 Venom had a first-appearance Venom underneath, not a Black Suit Spidey. TRU's Ultimate Venom came with black purple suit Spidey.

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one hoping that Hawkeye comes with another set of arms in the darker color, so I can make both the long-sleeved, and one-sleeved, EMH look?

Of all the minimates shown so far, these are the ones I am hurting for the most.

At least until we get some more trek news...

Rex!

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, for all you OCD types:

From what I recall, the first "Best Of" was supposed to be a series that would always be available. They went " back to print" in early 2013. I did notice some slight differences in the figures. The date stamped on the leg reads 2013 instead of 2012. A more significant difference is that the stands are different. If you remember, the first time this wave hit the pegs on the stands were almost on the edge of the base. The newer versions have corrected this, so they're centered better like the second Best Of Wave. Haven't noticed any other differences between the two.

I'd like to see, in a future "Best of" wave, A dark blue Cyclops with parts to go from "Dark Pheonix Saga" Cyclops to 90s Cyclops, both with gold visors, and maybe the eye beam. I'd like to see it paired with a Giant-Size X-men 1 Storm, as that figure is pretty dated.

Rex!

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, for all you OCD types:

From what I recall, the first "Best Of" was supposed to be a series that would always be available. They went " back to print" in early 2013. I did notice some slight differences in the figures. The date stamped on the leg reads 2013 instead of 2012. A more significant difference is that the stands are different. If you remember, the first time this wave hit the pegs on the stands were almost on the edge of the base. The newer versions have corrected this, so they're centered better like the second Best Of Wave. Haven't noticed any other differences between the two.

oh wow - that is all kinds of cruel!

The X-Men movies have never really been targeted at kids, and there hasn't even been an animated series in a while, so the X-Men might not be the best subject of a line designed to bring in new collectors. And while there's no Avengers line this year, there are an X-Men movie line, a couple of X-Men box sets and a full X-Men comic assortment in development.

WHA?!?!?!? ohmy.png

Nessex? nothing?

How the bloody hell did i miss this?

He's fainted!

Luckily, i was lying in bed when i read this just now, or i very well may have!

So - we know the movieline-up, and we know the comic wave is based on the modern 616 stuff.... What are the two box sets? I'm guessing one is the upcoming Capullo X-force.... but the other?

• 3 weeks later...