UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say a best of troop builders wave should happen. With the right characters, it'd be a no-brainer for selling (especially by the case).

This this this this this

It's just not possible for new collectors to get decent (or any) army builders from previous waves.

If I were in charge of DST, I'd brush off the army dumps and do one with the heavy hitters. Single packs of Spidey, Cap, Iron Man, and Wolverine, designed to sit next to the register on a counter. Great impulse item.

THIS!!

but I would also do a best of army builder re-release, as they would sell like hotcakes too!

Jeff of the Miniacs

Zach, I posed this qustion a couple of pages back but no one responded to it so, at the risk of bad forum form I'll ask it again. The best of wave appears to feature new parts specifically new torsos with the double "V"s now closer to the bottom opening. Also, the round pegs the the legs connect to no longer appear to have a small "neck" but instead are almost flush with the pelvic (hee hee) piece which, IMO, will reduce chances of breakage when taking the legs off. If I am correct are these changes permanent and will all future MM waves use these molds?

Edited by thatblockoguy

I'm amongst those that that have clamoured for army-builder re-runs especially the obvious AIM & SHIELD guys. I'll also admit that the Sentinel sensation completely outflanked me ,probably cemented Chuck's fixation with "the 2 inch rule" & wrecked any argument that nobody would army build out of scale figures

However......at the height of the BSG fervour the Cylon 5 packs ended up on clearance whilst Cap & Thor movie dumps still abound relatively cheaply,what we nutters here might devour might not equate with what non-nutters might buy. Just saying.

Edited by buttheadsmate

"......... entire mate has been painted red instead of being cast in just red plastic." - Mini_Myte

I'm NOT complaining & I haven't seen anything but pictures but the fact that this Deadpool has been painted red rather than cast in red is quite surprising to me. Whether it's the 'wrong' red is perhaps a matter of opinion especially if, like me, you feel that the first DP in Wave 28 is the definitive version & everything that followed was 'not quite right' ? The 'Heroes & Adversaries' DP replicated perfectly the Wave 28 DP !

I wouldn't go as far as calling Deadpool orange, but it's definitely the lightest red we've had so far. Under the right light it might look a little... orangey?

I know there's a pretty extensive conversation about paint and plastic in another thread, but does anyone else think these 'mates are a better quality plastic? They seem less rubbery to me. The bases are definitely much better quality than what we've had in the past.

There is certainly more orange in this red paint job that in the other releases. I don't have the Deadpool Corps DP that this is a near dupe of accessory-wise, so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison.

Very happy with the rest of this wave, now that it's in hand.

Got mine this morning, and they're all pretty great looking mates. My favourite might well be Hulk, but unfortunately mine has 2 left thigh pieces, so looks a little weird. I don't suppose anyone got a Hulk with 2 right thigh pieces, or got two sets to make Banner as well? Either way, we should enter negotiations, if you know what I mean.

thigh bones connected to the hip bone, the hip bones connected to the back bone...

Jesus.

This is going to be a bitching post, so avert your eyes if you don't want to read.

I've really been looking forward to this wave and because my custom case was delayed at Luke's due to the series 48 mix-up, I splurged and ordered the three sets I was most looking forward to Loki/Hulk x2 and Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Doom off of Ebay. They arrived today and I was so excited to get them open.

Unfortunately, "best of" doesn't describe the quality control on the Loki/Hulk set. I spent $30-ish bucks on these three sets, plus another $90-ish on the custom case at Luke's. For someone who has supported minimates since the beginning, it's becoming increasingly tiring to "fix" brand new toys out of the package. It may not seem like much, but it really gets to be a big turn off when you have to do it for each series released. If the Hulk set I got was my first dip into minimates, it'd also be my last.

What was wrong with the Hulk?

Feet and legs: The foot slip-on's were incredibly loose and don't stay on the figure when you pick him up. Even applying a little sticky-tack doesn't help as much as you'd hope. Eventually they still fall off when you try to pose him or even move him around. The thigh covers rub too closely to the crotch piece, meaning the purple paint rubs off and already after moving them half a dozen times you can see the white plastic underneath.

Crotch: The crotch slip-over piece is warped so it doesn't even fit over the crotch piece snugly. Have to heat that up in boiling water to make it fit properly. And even then, the front and back horizontal parts don't fit down onto the crotch piece underneath. The slip-over is just too small and makes it look like a cheap product.

Torso: The torso slip-on is warped and fits poorly on the figure. To fix this, you have to do the old "boiling water/ice water" trick. What also doesn't help is that there's no crotch riser part built in to the crotch slip-on OR as an extra piece like previous versions had. That helps so that he can twist at the waist without the bottom of the torso slip-on bumping into the top of the crotch piece. So to fix that, you have to find an extra riser you have, whittle it down with an Exacto knife to make it the right height so it's tall enough but not too tall. And to keep it from moving around on the torso peg? Yep, gotta super glue it down to the top of the crotch slip-on.

Hands and arms: The hands were both stuck on the arms due to dried paint or some such at the factory and no amount of carefully twisting them would pry them loose. One of the elbow joints was also stuck and, hey, guess what? The joint ripped when I finally was able to get the arm to move. For the other arms, all that working only made it loose so that now they want to come apart when you try to move the hands... which you had to boil to get loose in the first place.

Only the bicep covers are an improvement, as they fit all the way around the arm and don't want to be loose and fall off. So we have ONE improvement.

Overall: I really tried to keep an open mind, but both Hulk's I received were the same quality. So much for looking forward to that new, classic Hulk with the improved hands with fingers.

To keep the Hulk's feet and crotch slip-on's in place you have to super glue 'em on to really make sure they fit. If you want to pose or play with this guy, there's a good chance you'll spend half the time picking up the feet that fall off. So yeah, glue it... and now they won't move, which is good... but I also don't have the option to take the pieces off the basic legs and display him as Bruce Banner, which is really bad. And after spending 45 minutes "fixing" this figure, it really takes the "oh boy, what a cool new toy!" feeling out of it all. That feeling gets replaced with the "oh man, why am I still supporting the company that makes these?" one.

Perhaps Minimates just aren't the line for me anymore.

Sorry to hear you're having all those issues with your 'mates Mystery Man, I know the feeling, a lot of the most recent minimates I've purchased have had loose parts.

The Expendables, Ken Masters, Yoshimitsu, Phoebus, and other regularly loose one of the feet, helmet, or hands.

I've been there too, MM.

I've given this a lot of thought over the years too, and I can honestly say that I've never collected a toy line that was as consistently inconsistent as Minimates. One pack will be near flawless with bright tampos, clean paint, tight joints, while another pack will have mis-colored tampos, sloppy paint, and loose joints, and they both supposedly came from the same factory.

The only advice I can offer is make your voice heard through the proper channels, and then decide if what makes you happy about the line outweighs the problems.

Parts that are either too loose to stay on the figure, too warped to look how it's 'sposed to or too tight and end up breaking the figure when you try to move them just aren't doing it for me.

I don't want to be a whiny, bitchy fan... but I will soon have 5 "Best of" Hulks that I purchased to be my "perfect version" of the character with the new hands-with-fingers. Meanwhile, I've got 5 "Mega-Rage" Hulks in my closet that don't have any of these problems (but does have the loose bicep cover issue). And because the paint colors don't match, I can't swap parts out to kit-bash a perfect version either.

I used to be bummed out that characters I think are deserving of being made aren't made in favor of ones I don't care much about (or have been done multiple times). But that can't be helped, you know? Just because I think the Inhumans kick so much ass doesn't mean others do. But when figures that do get made have these issues and I put down money in good faith for them and even buy more than I really *need* so that I can support the line (and hope we'll see those Inhumans I already mentioned), that's something else altogether.

Sorry, all. I'm just really frustrated with this today.

Edited by Mystery Man

Sorry to hear you've had all those problems with the wave MM. However, I really hope you don't stop collecting - there aren't many board members who seem to want almost the exact same classic marvel characters as me and that even coordinate campaigns to askdst for them! Let's stick with it and hopefully one day we'll get those inhumans and those thor characters! smile.png

Parts that are either too loose to stay on the figure, too warped to look how it's 'sposed to or too tight and end up breaking the figure when you try to move them just aren't doing it for me.

I don't want to be a whiny, bitchy fan... but I will soon have 5 "Best of" Hulks that I purchased to be my "perfect version" of the character with the new hands-with-fingers. Meanwhile, I've got 5 "Mega-Rage" Hulks in my closet that don't have any of these problems (but does have the loose bicep cover issue). And because the paint colors don't match, I can't swap parts out to kit-bash a perfect version either.

I used to be bummed out that characters I think are deserving of being made aren't made in favor of ones I don't care much about (or have been done multiple times). But that can't be helped, you know? Just because I think the Inhumans kick so much ass doesn't mean others do. But when figures that do get made have these issues and I put down money in good faith for them and even buy more than I really *need* so that I can support the line (and hope we'll see those Inhumans I already mentioned), that's something else altogether.

Sorry, all. I'm just really frustrated with this today.

I understand .