UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

So I was asked today about 'the best of Marvel' wave & d'yknowhat I'm not sure whether I know enough about it.....did we have a thread ? Scariest thing for a completist is to miss out on something that appears to be ordinary that might turn out unique.These are retreads right? Are we sure?

....& while I'm at it why won't my avatar update ? :(

Edited by buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the love for these? Well.... what's to love? :) Seriously, these are all very nice, but none of these scream "must have" to me. DST has already made very nice versions of all these characters, so at best these are lateral movements rather then upgrades.

But this isn't a set aimed at us, it's aimed at the newer collector. And that's just fine. It's a supplement to the regular release schedule, much like the Heroes and Adversaries box sets from a few years ago, and I hope these do really well.

How DARE dst NOT consider the poor, obsessive-compulsive completionusts by releasing this wave. Classic characters in (arguably) their best ever minimate form released, but with subtle differences. Oh, the humanity.

On a serious note: i actually quite like the manic new goblin face and the evil grin 'Tooth is sporting. If i pass on this wave, i may have to buy those two on ebay.

The 'Heroes & Adversaries' set from 2010 was a set of exact retreads ,I remember asking "who would buy them ?" . For the record they sell pretty well at between $20-40 whilst the Wave 28 pairing of Deadpool/Wolverine still seems to find this sort of figure http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Minimates-Wolverine-Deadpool-Wave-28-Rare-/180783651103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a178b991f :rolleyes: No......I don't get it either.

However the 2 box sets 'Marvel Heroes to The Rescue' & 'Bring on the Bad Guys' from 3 years ago featured characters that were only repeated at TRU (Wave 2) whilst 2 characters ( 1 from each set) were completely unique ,Cap & Skull. Correct me if you think I'm wrong :no: but if you're a completist these two box sets & TRU Wave 2 are rare...are nice... & are collectable...no runts in those sets at all.

Soooooo we now have a wave that apparently contains 8 variants that is disinteresting :no::rolleyes:

I still think that Wave 28 is widely regarded as one of the best series released, and I had a really tough time finding them thanks to a major snafu by AFX. I was able to secure my sets from another store, but Deadpool was already going up in value at that point. You are correct about Heroes & Adversaries being the better 'deal', but I wonder if the Wave 28 Deadpool set is still desired because of something you already mentioned: completists want the set MIB for their collection.

Edited by youbastards

I don't mind them releasing sets like this to appeal to newer buyers, it makes perfect sense. My only issue is the following:

While nice, none of these characters is that hard to come by, and while this is certainly geared to new collectors, it really draws attention to other waves. I won't call it out specifically but it begins with a 4 and ends with a 4, that feature versions of some of these characters which will hit around the same time. If they're going to rerelease certain characters in sets like this for the new or casual fans, wouldn't it make more sense to not include those same characters again in waves both before AND after them?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't get where the market is coming from for all these retreads. I can go to TRU right now and have my choice of 3-4 versions of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc. and it seems like putting out more of the same characters so often just dilutes the brand overall. I know the big names sell well to kids/casual fans/new fans, but they also warm pegs harder than anyone else. The TRU Crossbones/Secret War Cap sells really fast, and I don't think it's just because it has Captain America in it.

Make your big names if you must, but give those of us who have been with you for years a reason to want them, and everyone wins. Just a thought.

I should say, as the guy that brought up Heroes and Adversaries... I meant those other two sets. The ones that had the first Red Skull, and that nice new Green Goblin, and... whomever was in the heroes one. I forgot all about the set actually titled "Heroes and Adversaries". My bad. :blush:

The heroes one was Hulk, Cap, Spidey, and Wolverine. The Wolverine is the only one done to date in his X-Men Team Uniform (you know, the updated original team uniforms everyone wore around Uncanny 250). And he had spare, non-clawed hands, which IIRC was the first time they did that too. It's been used as the base of many, many Forge customs since.

I like this wave, but plan on passing for mostly monetary reasons. There's an almost cartoony quality to the bright color choices that somehow appeals to me though... we'll see.

That THING will be a must-have for me if the orange matches from headpiece to head, etc. That Iron Man is going to become my #1 Shellhead as well. I can't wait for that set.

I'll likely get the Spidey/Goblin too due to Gobby's facial expression.

Between this Thing, Iron Man and the soon-to-be Daredevil and SHIELD Agent (Nick Fury), there's 4 really big must-haves right around the corner for me.

I've ordered the Wolverine/Sabertooth set, as I love the new face, and plan on sticking the Wolvie with my Byrne X-Men. I only bothered as I was ordering a few other bits from Luke at the time.

Not bothered by this wave, as it just isn't meant for me... I see it, like others, as an add-on for new collectors. The mates themselves do look very nice, and can see them attracting new collectors, which can surely only be a good thing.

That said, I think its the fact these guys are getting made that makes wave 44 even more frustrating. Like Valo said, that seems like it was supposed to be the new collectors wave.

I'm not doing complaining at the moment, not after those lovely ToyFare mates, all is well.

I didn't order this series in our usual numbers, but I still think it will sell well. People have been buying the Heroes and Adversaries 4-packs from our store for $23.99 a pop for a long time, and I have to keep going back to Super Hero Toys for more. Personally I will only be keeping a Thing/Iron Man set.

I think Cap is the biggest disappointment here; not his most Classic nor Iconic look to me.

A darker blue, a better mask, and what's with that expression on his face?!?!

I think he's bewildered because he didn't put on his mask properly.

I don't mind them releasing sets like this to appeal to newer buyers, it makes perfect sense. My only issue is the following:

While nice, none of these characters is that hard to come by, and while this is certainly geared to new collectors, it really draws attention to other waves. I won't call it out specifically but it begins with a 4 and ends with a 4, that feature versions of some of these characters which will hit around the same time. If they're going to rerelease certain characters in sets like this for the new or casual fans, wouldn't it make more sense to not include those same characters again in waves both before AND after them?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't get where the market is coming from for all these retreads. I can go to TRU right now and have my choice of 3-4 versions of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc. and it seems like putting out more of the same characters so often just dilutes the brand overall. I know the big names sell well to kids/casual fans/new fans, but they also warm pegs harder than anyone else. The TRU Crossbones/Secret War Cap sells really fast, and I don't think it's just because it has Captain America in it.

Make your big names if you must, but give those of us who have been with you for years a reason to want them, and everyone wins. Just a thought.

If this wave does not appeal to collectors, that is because collectors were not the target audience. This wave's line-up was selected to appeal to comic shop owners and to their customers, and it was designed to incorporate their most famous looks, the ones most recognizable to kids, parents and casual collectors. It did not take the place of anything intended for die-hard collectors, and was created expressly for Diamond Comics Distributors.

If you guys can get anything out of it, that's great. But the line was meant to appeal to comics fans whose LCSs did not already order in Wave 41, 42, 43 or 44. Yes, there is a fair amount of Avengers overlap with Wave 44, but this wave hits next week, while Wave 44 is still a couple months off. Besides, the Avengers have never been more popular than they are right now. Also, while certain characters may be easy to find elsewhere, there are many comic shops that simply do not order Minimates, where ALL Minimates are hard to find. This will hopefully remedy that.

Since it is not numbered, it will be a timeless wave that can be ordered (and sold) for months and even years to come, and one that, hopefully, series completists will not feel obligated to collect. If they do, well, hopefully they can forgive us. We are, after all, making Vindicator.

If this wave does not appeal to collectors, that is because collectors were not the target audience. This wave's line-up was selected to appeal to comic shop owners and to their customers, and it was designed to incorporate their most famous looks, the ones most recognizable to kids, parents and casual collectors. It did not take the place of anything intended for die-hard collectors, and was created expressly for Diamond Comics Distributors.

oh aye, this is exactly why it isn't a biggie as far as I'm concerned. There are some lovely looking mates in this wave, imagine some kid being bought that Spidey/Goblin set, whether they'd heard of minimates or not... what is not to love. I'm just surprised Thing got the nod over Hulk.

... Vindicator is Captain Canada from TrU 14, right?

I don't question this wave at all Zach, like you said it's designed to appeal to new collectors. My question is that it seems like there's a lot of 'mates that are made for that reason, including some of these same characters just recently, and the number of 'mates made to draw in new collectors seems to vastly outweigh the new characters at times. I know you guys are making Vindicator, and I applaud that and will be front and center to pick one up when it hits the shelf. I guess my wish was that every once in a while we'd see a wave that was just for long term collectors, with nothing but new characters. We come close with some of the TRU waves, and don't think I don't appreciate it, but it seems like there are a lot more Age of X and Curse of the Mutants style sets than Galactus sets, which was AWESOME by the way.

When was the last time a wave was all new? I'm not being cynical, I'm trying to remember.

@ Zach: To your knowledge, will any of the mates in this wave come with any surprises accessories or features? Example, will this version of the Thing have a human Ben Grimm underneath his rocky coverings like the wave 37 one was originally intended to have?