UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

MMHQ: Malware Warning

Jatta Pake

I just got a warning as well

Sorry to hear that, drgnbrn. I remember a similar thing happened to both AFI and Fwoosh a few years ago; it can be a real nightmare to fix. You might have to shut down and relaunch a new page. :( Hopefully, someone here can help you out.

I will NEVER understand why people out there want to !@#$ around with harmless web pages.... :verymad:

I will NEVER understand why people out there want to !@#$ around with harmless web pages.... :verymad:

Not to condone the actions, but smaller websites are simply easier targets. The sites aren't hardened either because of inexperience or a (perceived) lack of risk. Just because small sites are not handling money or user accounts doesn't mean they're not a target. The users' computers are what they are ultimately after. If they can infect a user, that's one more computer in their botnet that they control. It can then be used for many different activities.

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little ones and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Looks like there might have been a hole in the Word Press code for a theme we were using that someone might have been able to get through.

Problem is, I have no idea what might have been compromised and lack the knowhow to fix it, let alone the time to work on it.

Most people using blog-templates and easy to use stuff like that don't have a clue how it really works - that's why they choose to use it in the first place. And that includes me. But you might want to check a Word Press forum or faqs to repair your site. I doubt you're the only one being hijacked. Maybe it's just the index page of your site that redirects people and everything else is fine. That shouldn't be too complicated to fix with a little help from a forum. :confused:

Based on what Google's webmaster tools are saying, its not restricted to just the index page.

What I'll probably have to do is wipe it all out and start over. Again. Meaning I'll have two sets of archives to try and restore.

On the bright side, it would give me good opportunity to resolve some of the other issues I've been having with the site.

On the down side, it would require more time from me, time which I already don't have to spare on the day-to-day running of the site, let alone a massive upgrade.