UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

All this talk about Barclay laugh.png If Luke could put together some nifty decal sheets with different heads of characters that could use existing bodies and didn't need newly sculpted parts, that would be nifty. Of course, we still need gold TNG suits!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured it was a long shot asking for main crew. But with Zach not hopeful we'd get to the entire Enterprise or Voyager crew (DS9 too?), then this is a great idea. It would definitely help sales!

But I think I'd asked in a AskDST (maybe I'm remembering from MMMV instead) about lesser crew second heads, like Ro & Shelby or Barclay and that was met pretty well.

Honestly, the thought that rushing the main crews out might HURT future sales makes as much sense (to me) as saying the same about releasing Wolverine, Spiderman, Cap & Hulk too soon - look at how many refreshes we have!

I was just thinking how long it would take to get to all of the crews, and that was what had me concerned about your hopes for the line. But if Chuck says he likes multiple heads, hey, that's great!

I think comparing rushing out main crews to releasing Wolverine, Spider-Man, Cap and Hulk is an inaccurate comparison. Series 1 of Legacy IS Star Trek's version of Spidey, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Wolverine and Cyclops -- each one is the star of their own book. But if we put out a whole crew at once, that would be like putting out Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Vision, Tigra, Jack of Hearts and Dr. Druid, and would lock out anyone who doesn't like the Avengers, or DS9, or whatever.

I honestly like the two-heads idea -- not sure there's a true Marvel comparison -- but you'd only be putting out one additional crew member per show per series. Sure, you speed things up a bit, and yes, double your sales in the out-of-package collector market, but it also increases costs, decreases the profit margin, and you risk ending the line due to low margins long before the time you run out of recognizable characters. But I don't know the numbers, maybe they'd balance out.

I am all for getting the crews done and I hope we do get more Enterprise mates. I know Luke can do a darn good job making the decals for TNG because he made some for me and I love them. I have Data, LaForge, & O'Brien in gold TNG Uniforms. I even had Luke make me Blue Female and Gold Female chest decals for Yar & Dr. Crusher/Troi. I only wish we do get the hard to customize parts in the near future. I would like to see Worf made by DST as well as Odo and Quark, Rom & Nog and Hoshi Sato.

I am all for Box sets of mates that have three main crew members and an alien but have some extra heads for say Barclay, Wesley, Ro, Pulaski, and so forth. I would like to see Troi come with her blue Starfleet uniform but I would also like to see her in one of her more casual outfits (lavendar or blue or marroon). Then we would need some female gold chest blocks for Yar and to use for the various extras on the bridge. We could get a DS9 box set with Jadzia, Bashir, Morn, & Kira then there could be an extra head and shorter arms & shorter legs to make Ezri with Jadzia's chest block. We could have the major characters done and still have different variations of them for regular waves to have in packages with key alien races.

Just my thoughts.

I think there are ample viable variations of popular characters to keep each series anchored and interesting for retailers and collectors alike. Look at how many variations are possible with Picard alone:

First Season Uniform

Captain's Jacket

Second Season Uniform

First Season Dress Uniform

Second Season Dress Uniform

Movie Dress Uniform

Locutus

"Future Imperfect"

"Tapestry" I

"Tapestry" II

"Q-pid"

Fencing Picard

"All Good Things..."

First Contact uniform

Tuxedo Picard

Spacesuit Picard

Awkward Morning Picard

I think that's enough to ensure a couple more series.

If we don't get a Worf and Data because we didn't buy enough Left-Handed-Battle-Ravaged-Mirror-Universe-Bread&Circuses-Kirk, please don't say it's because we didn't support the line.

No, it would be because Trek fans in general didn't support the line. Remember, we need new collectors to make this work. The old collectors clearly weren't enough.

The problem with the last incarnation of this line was that it didn't target "Trek fans in general." It targeted TOS fans in general and only branched out to token 2-packs from TNG and DS9 after three series and a boxed set that featured exclusively TOS characters. I think this time around "Trek fans in general" are getting the message that variety is the new black in the mini frontier.

The only downside I see is that, in my own anecdotal experience, fans of the new movies won't be interested since they won't find the characters they're familiar with. Hopefully "new collectors" (who didn't support the line last time) will jump on board in great enough quantities to make the line much more successful now that DST's offering what they prefer.

I have very high expectations for this line. The mix should attract fans of all eras. (Except TAS. They can suck it. Both of them.) The Trek brand is in everyone's face thanks to that fancy movie and even Enterprise is getting a Blu-ray release of its second season soon. It's not 1991 again but it ain't 1975 either.

This won't be as mass market-friendly as Marvel and won't have the same kid appeal but with any luck it'll catch the attention of all those Trekkers and their disposable incomes looking to start (or continue) a collection that's fun, affordable, and doesn't take up a lot of space.

(But just in case, I'm probably going to buy a shitload of these things as soon as I can.)

If we don't get a Worf and Data because we didn't buy enough Left-Handed-Battle-Ravaged-Mirror-Universe-Bread&Circuses-Kirk, please don't say it's because we didn't support the line.

No, it would be because Trek fans in general didn't support the line. Remember, we need new collectors to make this work. The old collectors clearly weren't enough.

Kirk in a yellow shirt will be with absolutely zero doubt in my mind the most attractive Star Trek Minimate to a new collector, given the current film buzz. We probably should have done a Spock, but I imagine he'd anchor Series 2. And TWoK Kirk is from what is widely recognized as the greatest Trek movie, is a distinctively different look, and has his own ties to the current film (no spoilers). I honestly expect those two sets to sell the best.

The Captains are the stars of their respective shows, and aliens are the most visually interesting characters on the shows, so both are theoretically the most appealing to casual fans of the shows. Focus on one crew and you only get that show's fans. Touch on all crews and you get everybody's attention. Hypothetically.

Obviously, doing all the captains here leads to concerns over Series 2. Would we need a BD (or, preferably, Motion Picture or Tholian Web) Kirk to anchor the wave, Heaven forbid? Or is the second tier -- Spock, T'Pol, Tuvok, Data, Riker, Worf and Odo -- enough to support it? Do you do more aliens? Ferengi, Andorian, Klingon, Chiron, Talosian, Species 8472, another Borg? I have no idea. I look forward to finding out, and to seeing how the series sells overall.

I don't envy the decisions you guys have to make. It's soooo much easier to armchair quarterback it. :) I'll just be happy if we get enough uniform variations that we can customize any characters we want but don't have. While I did bash your choice of another TOS Khan, I will also buy the crap out of him in hope of spurring future waves.

Zach, thanks again for taking the time to answer questions for us.

I kind of assumed if the line continued we'd get "anchors" of at least 1 Captain per wave (or Spock). I know Kirk is still the face of Star Trek to the world at large. I love that you gave us a different look for the TWOK movie Kirk.

What I remember of the first Trek MM line, was that series 1 & 2 sold incredibly well. It was focused only on the TOS crew and covered them all in 2 waves. Then came wave 3, which is the one wave I find still more frequently for sale than any other. Then wave 4 which finally branched out of TOS into one TNG pack, which at the time sold phenomenally well, as did wave 5's DS9 pack. People were complaining at the time about Kirk & Spock fatigue, which is understandable, but the variations were still very similar in terms of color, and we weren't getting the really visually interesting variations with rare exceptions. One problem the original line had was the aliens only came one per wave (not counting the crew here). And the army builder ones only came once with the variant.

I think you guys knocked it out of the park with Legacy wave 1. Maybe a few characters or looks I would have switched out, but I love what I see.

Now, the Captains are the face of each show, so it's fair that both Specialty and TRU each get a full assortment of Captains. So now, I think going forward, there doesn't need to be duplicated characters across each market. So if TRU gets Riker, then specialty can get Data for their TNG pack that wave. Because if it continues with 2 variations of the same crew each wave, that'll get old fast and I think will really hurt sales. Like what you did with your Enterprise & Voyager packs for wave 1, I love the distribution between markets and think that'll do well. Because casual Trek fans won't feel the need to buy 2 Rikers at once, and so on especially once we get to the "Dr Druid" level characters :)

So then, if we're not beholden to copying characters across TRU & Specialty in the same wave, then we're open for more "Anchors". I'm okay with and have come to expect to see the "Anchors" like Kirk & Spock, I just want them a bit more visually interesting than the variation of color uniform that we got the first go-around. Tholian Web Kirk is an excellent idea - it's not been made, it's visually striking, and it's a suit worn by multiple members so the customizing community would buy extras. I would forego extra heads for sure if it mean getting new sculpts like a space suit helmet!

But the important thing I personally want to stress is that I feel people are starved for STTNG and other show merchandise. It's been the TOS / Kirk & Spock show for a long, long time (deservedly so). But every show has "their" audience - each show was someone's first Star Trek show. I'm stoked that this Legacy line incorporates every TV show & the TOS & TNG movies. And I like that wave 1 has something for everyone. I don't feel like Kirk & Spock have to anchor everything anymore. So feel free to use TNG to anchor once in awhile, and put Kirk & Spock in their visually interesting (but not as immediately recognizable to the casual person) outfits like the Tholian Web suits, gangster suits or anything non-Starfleet.

If DST continues like they started with Legacy wave 1 and we get at least 4-5 waves, I think there'll be a lot of happy Trek fans. I can't wait to see what's next!

Okay, I like what monkeycrumb just stated. I see exactly what he is going for. I could support this method and would encourage it.

I would like to see a box set or two of the TNG crew as they were seen in "Q-Pid". Picard, Data, Troi and LaForge in one set; Riker, Worf, Dr. Crusher and Q in the second set. Then Collectors would likely get two of each set and then the minimate collectors looking for Robin Hood minimate may even get a set or two. I personally would buy three of each set. One of each to keep sealed, one of each to open for display and then one of each to open to use for customizing.

Then there could be a box set or two from a specific episode of DS9 that had the crew in very different costums. Then the same could happen for Voyager and Enterprise. Then we could maybe see a box set of the TOS crew in movie uniforms (ST2 Uhura, ST2 Chekov, ST2 Spock, & one other character from the movie.

I personally have a case of the LCS Wave 1 coming from Luke's Toy Store. I have some funds set aside to get a case (hopefully) from TRU.

Looking forward to getting my customizing on.

Most collectors don't buy multiples, even when a single figure can be two characters, so we can't rely on that as a sales possibility.

And I would hope that we wouldn't make two of everybody going forward, but I think there are plenty of important characters who could benefit from it (Worf in different uniforms, Data/Lore in all of his variations). Again, no idea what the plan will be.

And that list of Picards Mister PL posted may have been intended to show us that we could always make more Picards, but I don't think that should be the goal of the line, to double up on heads so we can make sure we get in plenty of Picard production. Most of those Picards don't have the value of a Picard -- without recognizable uniforms, they're just old bald men.

The same applies to Kirk in 1920s or 30s clothing. A uniformed Tom Paris would, in my opinion, have greater recognition and appeal as a Trek character than soup kitchen or gangster Kirk, so hopefully, paired with the right alien, we can make most crew members work... even if it's in a later series. (The Enterprise uniform doesn't exactly scream "Trek," and MInimates of Malcolm Reed and Trip Tucker are gonna look a LOT alike.)

But nobody wants to see a repeat of Series 3. Never forget.

Most collectors don't buy multiples, even when a single figure can be two characters, so we can't rely on that as a sales possibility.

(The Enterprise uniform doesn't exactly scream "Trek," and MInimates of Malcolm Reed and Trip Tucker are gonna look a LOT alike.)

Sorry, I forget that. So many of us here buy multiples for alternate looks that it seems weird that the majority do not. As for Reed & Tucker, they're a perfect example of needing an alternate head, since there don't need to be many Enterprise 2 packs anyway. I think the only non-crewmember I want from Enterprise is Shran the Andorian anyway, and that's mostly for customizing. No hurry on that Enterprise crew, I think a sharpie on the stripes will work in a pinch for us.

As for Series 3, it's incredibly comforting to know DST recognizes the shortcomings of that wave (who needs 2 Sareks?)

Back the comments on Series 3 of the original release of Trek Minimates: I found a use for my extra Sareks. I used them for customizing TOS Romulans I used the face for one and the hair for another. I have two more Sareks due to arrive in about a week because part of that order is on backorder, but I hope to make one more TOS Romulan and then one TNG Romulan as for the Sarek bodies, they are great for making customs you have to apply decals or paint to.

Anyway, I see Zach's point about multiple purchases, but I guess I fall in the apparently small minority as I will buy duplicates because I wiill work to customize until I get at least a much of each crew I can get without having to sculpt too much. I now have to wait to get extra Archer Mates for my Enterprise crew customs that I am already working on, as well as my Sam Beckett Customs for Quantum Leap. I loved that show as well and with the Scott Bakula face I can now make one, if I could only remember where my Dean Stockwell face from BSG disappeared to, I could make Hal as well.

Thank you.

(The Enterprise uniform doesn't exactly scream "Trek," and MInimates of Malcolm Reed and Trip Tucker are gonna look a LOT alike.)

As for Series 3, it's incredibly comforting to know DST recognizes the shortcomings of that wave (who needs 2 Sareks?)

A Sarek head could always be used for the Romulan Commander from "Balance of Terror", and with a bit of work a Klingon Captain (ST:TMP) and the elder Sarek (movies & TNG). Mark Lenard was all over the Star Trek universe

A Sarek head could always be used for the Romulan Commander from "Balance of Terror", and with a bit of work a Klingon Captain (ST:TMP) and the elder Sarek (movies & TNG). Mark Lenard was all over the Star Trek universe

I get what you're saying, but we're still the minority. The majority of buyers didn't want two Sareks. He's one that you should choose to buy extras of, not be forced into it if you want a full set. Wave three would have done better if the variant were packed with the Klingon. (I can use my extras, but I didn't *need* them)

Random Thoughts:

- I'll take two army-builders (Starfleet Security, generic aliens, et al) over two Sareks any day.

- The point of my list was to illustrate how many variations there are of a single, popular character to anchor series. If retailers insist on a Picard, there you go.

- Obscure variations of popular characters probably deserve to be sold in episode-specific 4-packs rather than in series. If we don't see "A Piece of the Action" or "City on the Edge of Forever" after getting "Mirror Mirror," we didn't learn what went right with the last line.

- I'd like a Mini-Horta, please. cool.png

Random Thoughts:

- I'll take two army-builders (Starfleet Security, generic aliens, et al) over two Sareks any day.

- The point of my list was to illustrate how many variations there are of a single, popular character to anchor series. If retailers insist on a Picard, there you go.

- Obscure variations of popular characters probably deserve to be sold in episode-specific 4-packs rather than in series. If we don't see "A Piece of the Action" or "City on the Edge of Forever" after getting "Mirror Mirror," we didn't learn what went right with the last line.

- I'd like a Mini-Horta, please. cool.png

1) You, me, and everyone else not related to Mark Leonard

2) I liked your list. The next Picard minimate MUST be Locutus!

3) AMEN!!!

4) Yes Please! Mini-Horta!

While I'd love to see more box sets as well, I'm not going to 100% sweat it because we are getting 16 figures/wave between LCS & TRU. But damn, it would be a great place to put 1 "Dr Druid" in with 3 winners! Theme it to specific episodes and go nuts smile.png

City on the Edge of Forever - Kirk & Spock in civilian clothes, Edith Keeler, and McCoy with alt screaming diseased face! Make the package background a clear photo of the Guardian. (maybe not the best retail seller unless they include pieces for the iconic Kirk & Spock uniforms)

Tholian Web - Standard Space suit with any other crewmember (Spock?), a "Phasing" half-painted on translucent plastic Kirk in Space Suit (so 2 suits in a 4-pack to spread out costs), and 2 crewmembers in their bridge uniforms (Scotty & Chekov) - a very colorful presentation on package

Best of Both Worlds - Locutus!, Shelby (maybe alternate Ro head?), Riker & Guinan

Q-Pid - Q as sheriff, Picard as Robin Hood, Vash as Maid Marion, Data as Friar Tuck (then finish the crew in the 2-packs, or do another 4-pack with Riker, Worf, Geordi & Troi then work Crusher into a 2-pack)

Edited by monkeycrumb

So, we will be seeing:

Star Trek Legacy wave 1

Star Trek Legacy wave 2

Star Trek Legacy wave 4

Star Trek Legacy wave 5

;)