UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently DST is just squatting on whatever Star Trek rights they have left. They haven't said they've lost the license entirely despite other manufacturers clearly developing product in DST's wheelhouse. (Well, except for Minimates.)

Maybe they're waiting for new Trek content. You know, other than Discovery, Lower Decks, Picard, Strange New Worlds, and Prodigy.

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Maybe they're waiting for new Trek content. You know, other than Discovery, Lower Decks, Picard, Strange New Worlds, and Prodigy.

I watched every episode of every show that came before. Of these I watched:

• 2 seasons of Discovery and lost interest.
  • 1 episode of Lower Decks - to be fair probably was never gonna be for me anyway
  • 1 Season of Picard - disgusted by this one
  • 3 episodes of Strange New Worlds
  • All of season 1 of Prodigy

I actually liked Prodigy. Hated Picard. The rest just didn't catch my interest enough to keep watching.

I'd be unlikely to buy merch from any of them. And I have a Bread and Circuses Kirk minimate. (more than one actually)

1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

I watched every episode of every show that came before. Of these I watched:

• 2 seasons of Discovery and lost interest.
  • 1 episode of Lower Decks - to be fair probably was never gonna be for me anyway
  • 1 Season of Picard - disgusted by this one
  • 3 episodes of Strange New Worlds
  • All of season 1 of Prodigy

I actually liked Prodigy. Hated Picard. The rest just didn't catch my interest enough to keep watching.

I'd be unlikely to buy merch from any of them. And I have a Bread and Circuses Kirk minimate. (more than one actually)

I'm not a big fan of Star Trek but Mike and Rich from RLM are huge Star Trek fans and they hated Picard. They even tortured themselves and watched season two.

Picard season one I finished. Bad. 
I got four episodes into season 2 and bailed. 

three seasons of Discovery and it’s… adequate. 

every single episode of Lower Decks and it’s a fucking GEM. I laugh as hard at this as I do at Rick and Morty. 

Strange New Worlds if it keeps up will be my favorite Trek series of all time. Dazzling return to TOS form. 

Prodigy is there. 

5 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

every single episode of Lower Decks and it’s a fucking GEM. I laugh as hard at this as I do at Rick and Morty. 

That's the kind of praise that might convince me to give it another chance.

What I like about Prodigy is I think they found a good way to go in a new direction while still having some respect for older canon. It's not just another generic crew doing the same thing. And I give it a break because it's a kids show.

18 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

Picard season one I finished. Bad. 
I got four episodes into season 2 and bailed. 

three seasons of Discovery and it’s… adequate. 

Strange New Worlds if it keeps up will be my favorite Trek series of all time. Dazzling return to TOS form. 

Prodigy is there. 

You made it further into Picard season 2 than I did. I kind of liked season 1 for the nostalgia bits but S2 was just bad. Season 3 looks promising

I watch Discovery in drips and drabs. The story doesn't make much sense anyway so I don't really lose anything. (The replicator conversation almost made me vomit).

Both of these series has me leery of SNW but I may give it a chance.

Lower Decks is excellent!

1 hour ago, Padrino said:

You made it further into Picard season 2 than I did. I kind of liked season 1 for the nostalgia bits but S2 was just bad. Season 3 looks promising

I watch Discovery in drips and drabs. The story doesn't make much sense anyway so I don't really lose anything. (The replicator conversation almost made me vomit).

Both of these series has me leery of SNW but I may give it a chance.

Lower Decks is excellent!

Strange New Worlds is a proper Star Trek. 
Like they Trek to planets, solve a problem, and then the Enterprise goes to the next thing. 
There are season long character arcs (M’Benga in particular made me cry a lot) but very few episodes end unresolved. And honestly, though there are teases for exciting things to come, I’m satisfied with this finale as a finale. It really wraps up Pike’s arc gloriously and shows an unexpected and thoroughly exciting alternate future. 

If it’s been a while since you’ve seen the Original Series, the most important episodes that SNW calls forward to are The Menagerie, Arena, Amok Time, and Balance of Terror. Rewatch those before going into this.

21 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

Strange New Worlds is a proper Star Trek. 
Like they Trek to planets, solve a problem, and then the Enterprise goes to the next thing. 
There are season long character arcs (M’Benga in particular made me cry a lot) but very few episodes end unresolved. And honestly, though there are teases for exciting things to come, I’m satisfied with this finale as a finale. It really wraps up Pike’s arc gloriously and shows an unexpected and thoroughly exciting alternate future. 

If it’s been a while since you’ve seen the Original Series, the most important episodes that SNW calls forward to are The Menagerie, Arena, Amok Time, and Balance of Terror. Rewatch those before going into this.

Alright, I'm convinced! Thanks!

I get it. I used to consider myself a fan of Star Wars until I walked away from Return of the Jedi shaking my head. Then the prequels came and made Episode VI look like The Godfather. Despite my profound disappointment in most of those movies, I found the designs therein to be fun and perfectly toyetic.

The Trek fandom has been fractured since the 70s. I happen to be one of those viewers who can enjoy all of it – good and bad – though I'll admit much of it doesn't inspire repeat viewing. (Sorry, Voyager.) Still, as a kid at heart who likes toys based on Star Trek, I'd buy Minimates from any series, even Lower Decks

The point being; you can't please everyone but there's enough content available from this franchise to at least TRY something beyond TOS and a handful of TNG characters.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, MisterPL said:

I get it. I used to consider myself a fan of Star Wars until I walked away from Return of the Jedi shaking my head. Then the prequels came and made Episode VI look like The Godfather. Despite my profound disappointment in most of those movies, I found the designs therein to be fun and perfectly toyetic.

The Trek fandom has been fractured since the 70s. I happen to be one of those viewers who can enjoy all of it – good and bad – though I'll admit much of it doesn't inspire repeat viewing. (Sorry, Voyager.) Still, as a kid at heart who likes toys based on Star Trek, I'd buy Minimates from any series, even Lower Decks

The point being; you can't please everyone but there's enough content available from this franchise to at least TRY something beyond TOS and a handful of TNG characters.

I really do admire this spirit Mr. PL. I need to be less of an angry fanboy sometimes. LOL

On 12/15/2022 at 7:30 AM, MisterPL said:

this so much this...it's weird they're not taking the plunge with so many places to stab.

the new VHS style packaging, to me, just begs for TOS/TNG love at the absolute least, though me i'd even love some DS9 love but just incase anyone important is aggregating, i too would buy minimates from any series, even lower decks (shit, even The Orville)

Someone asked me to weigh in. Maybe we'll tackle Trek again one day, but not any time soon. I'm not even a BIG Trek fan, but I like the OG movies and TV and I watched a lot of TNG and DS9, so I would certainly love to see Minimates of Troi, Riker, Worf, Data, Kira, O'Brien, Odo, Quark, etc. I just don't know how well they would sell in this day and age.

On 12/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, MisterPL said:

I call The Orville "Cringe Trek." I was totally open to something like Galaxy Quest but Seth MacFarlane's love letter to the franchise is clearly more an homage to early TNG than a parody.

It's not supposed to be a parody and never was. Fox tried to market it like that because they assumed that people wanted that from MacFarlane and Fox has never known how to market sci-fi, but instead he did a very serious Trek show that is better than any Trek modern show. The stuff in season 4 is as good of sci-fi, as well, has ever been produced anywhere, Trek or otherwise.

2 hours ago, SCW said:

It's not supposed to be a parody and never was. Fox tried to market it like that because they assumed that people wanted that from MacFarlane and Fox has never known how to market sci-fi, but instead he did a very serious Trek show that is better than any Trek modern show. The stuff in season 4 is as good of sci-fi, as well, has ever been produced anywhere, Trek or otherwise.

Yeah, Fox has never done any favors to the genre when it comes to promoting such series. However, I have to take exception with Orville being "very serious." He's got a terrific group of creators who are giving him great Trek material but it still seems like MacFarlane then injects his low-brow humor wherever he can. The tone often feels off and out of place, which is what makes me cringe.

It reminds me of having an engaging, philosophical discussion in college and the kid who was the class clown in middle school throws in a fart joke just so he can say he was part of the conversation. Forced humor makes me cringe, like Jar Jar stepping in poop. The material deserves better.

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Yeah, Fox has never done any favors to the genre when it comes to promoting such series. However, I have to take exception with Orville being "very serious." He's got a terrific group of creators who are giving him great Trek material but it still seems like MacFarlane then injects his low-brow humor wherever he can. The tone often feels off and out of place, which is what makes me cringe.

It reminds me of having an engaging, philosophical discussion in college and the kid who was the class clown in middle school throws in a fart joke just so he can say he was part of the conversation. Forced humor makes me cringe, like Jar Jar stepping in poop. The material deserves better.

My feeling is almost the opposite. I think MacFarlane loves Trek and the jokes were the only way he could get it made. I really felt the clash of styles in the early episodes. But this last season was better Trek than any so-called real Trek made in recent times. I hope it gets more seasons.

BTW, if you are a Scifi fan and have not seen The Expanse, you're missing out. One of the best scifi shows ever IMHO.

There's no doubt in my mind MacFarlane adores Trek. I agree; the tone shifted in the last season, ironically once the show was put behind the dreaded paywall. 😁 I wouldn't mind seeing him develop an actual Trek series though I'd prefer the aesthetic to be more contemporary. Those late-80s/early-90s production values are another part of the cringe.

And yes, I'm missing out. Amazon Prime is one of the streamers I don't have but I keep hearing The Expanse is consistently satisfying.

@MisterPL and @cylonchaney this is a good yarn you're having here fellas, certainly had me pondering how much of MacFarlane's signature lowbrow stylings, for better or worse, slip in because that's just how he rolls as an artist, or if because of his success with that kind of of humour, his hands get tied to some extent and he has to inject into what is, as I'm glad we all agree, an absolute labour of love for the bloke

also the biggest thanks as ever to Zach for sending a despatch all the way out here to the Trek thread! we should be ablaze with such a development

On 12/22/2022 at 4:47 PM, DSTZach said:

I just don't know how well they would sell in this day and age.

How would DST find out? In my experience that's what a marketing professional would be tasked with.
Would DST come up with digital renders of the Minimates and maybe the packaging to show retailers? Would they offer pre-orders through Previews?

On 12/20/2022 at 5:49 PM, minimateship said:

this so much this...it's weird they're not taking the plunge with so many places to stab.

the new VHS style packaging, to me, just begs for TOS/TNG love at the absolute least, though me i'd even love some DS9 love but just incase anyone important is aggregating, i too would buy minimates from any series, even lower decks (shit, even The Orville)

Today is the 30th anniversary of DS9. It doesn't appear to be getting much attention from the studio beyond social media.

I wonder how the new Playmates line is performing. Target is treating it as an adult collectible, merchandising the figures amongst NECA, Bandai, and Super7. It'll be odd seeing Prodigy toys there.

• 1 month later...

Hiya Toys is "brovely [sic] going where no man has gone before" according to their social media pages. They're mostly known for their highly detailed, fully poseable 1:18 scale action figures and the occasional vehicle. No product announcements yet but I'd be surprised if they got the 2" scale block figure category away from DST.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CowpJ7mAvvY/

On 1/3/2023 at 4:32 PM, MisterPL said:

How would DST find out? In my experience that's what a marketing professional would be tasked with.
Would DST come up with digital renders of the Minimates and maybe the packaging to show retailers? Would they offer pre-orders through Previews?

Nope, in our company that would be on Sales. Maybe we'd provide them with the art and mock-ups, but Diamond Comics' sales team would run it by the big retailers to see if there was interest. I can really only provide them with anecdotal fan interest, they're the ones who can see how other Diamond-distributed Trek products are selling right now.

If we were doing gangbusters with Minimates, and Diamond was doing great with Trek, I'm sure we'd give it a shot, but at least one of those is not true, and I have not seen any requests. With Picard bringing back everyone from the old crew, now would probably be the time to try it, but there's a lot of other stuff going on.

That said, I'd buy 'em.

• 2 months later...