UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think TOS is pretty much what sells with ST, but I suppose DST could do something with Strange New Worlds and sort of get into that TOS space.

I'm digging the new Playmates reveals, although we just basically got sneak peeks and we need to see a lot more to see if those figures will be any good or not. I think they look swell, but unless they have alternate hands they're going to be pretty drab.

Anyway, I think DST is done with ST. But maybe the new box set formula could work.

DST's new box sets might force them to do the kind of episode-specific sets that some of us have been asking for. A four- or six-pack could easily allow them to offer an entire bridge crew if they included alternate noggins, etc.

I can't believe I'm admitting this but if DST offered a TNG/DS9/VOY TV/film-era set that allowed me to create several different characters from the same set, I'd be spending at least $100 on those.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:51 PM, MisterPL said:

DST's new box sets might force them to do the kind of episode-specific sets that some of us have been asking for. A four- or six-pack could easily allow them to offer an entire bridge crew if they included alternate noggins, etc.

I can't believe I'm admitting this but if DST offered a TNG/DS9/VOY TV/film-era set that allowed me to create several different characters from the same set, I'd be spending at least $100 on those.

I would purchase a box set that allowed the creation of several different characters from the parts in the set, but I would not pay $100 on one set as I would want at least four sets to have the ability to make all the variations and yet still have the mates that came in the set, so I think $50.00 a six pack is a little on the steep side.  I would do $40 or less a six pack and I would then purchase at least four sets if I could get the parts to make multiple figures by doing so.

I do think however, that a six pack to finish off the crews for each series would be great.

I'm not sure how viable any of those are but if a SKU needed a Picard, I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

I purposely left out:

"Lessons" and "Attached" (Yes, this shows up twice in two different seasons!) 

"Devil's Due" (Not sari I left it out.)

"Captain's Holiday" (Hey, if Wolverine can bare his chest...)

"Q'pid" (Although Picard with a Van Dyke might beg for a Mirror Universe QC.)

"Starship Mine" (The swashbuckling equestrian look could come with a space horse!)

But, yeah, Picard's had a few costume changes over the years, some more memorable than others. Playmates Toys managed to produce quite a few.

• 5 months later...

I cannot argue that the TNG Star Trek era is most in need of MiniMates. So to the extent that it's ever possible, I support you, TNG fans.

But I am also hopeful that the success of "Strange New Worlds" returns some focus to my favorite Star Trek era in TOS, because there are still a lot of characters to mine there IMO. 

• 3 months later...

Not sure if anyone is interested, but the Playmobil Enterprise can currently be had for half off on Amazon if one applies the coupon upon checking out. I have been debating getting it for weeks now; I'm not a Star Trek guy, but it's such a cool toy. Still, $250 is too much for me, but I would imagine some of you would pull the trigger, and I am eager to see how the ship looks with Minimates.

• 2 weeks later...

That would have been more tempting four years ago. It's a MUCH better price. I can imagine someone buying an extra one to customize somehow.

Speaking of imagination, I had a dream I found a new Star Trek SKU at retail. It was yet another offering of the original series characters in a hexagonal package. The cool part was that the package looked like the transporter pad (including the accompanying stands) and the figures appeared to be energizing except for Scotty, who was in the middle at a cardboard control panel.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

That would have been more tempting four years ago. It's a MUCH better price. I can imagine someone buying an extra one to customize somehow.

Speaking of imagination, I had a dream I found a new Star Trek SKU at retail. It was yet another offering of the original series characters in a hexagonal package. The cool part was that the package looked like the transporter pad (including the accompanying stands) and the figures appeared to be energizing except for Scotty, who was in the middle at a cardboard control panel.

I wish your subconscious would get a job at DST! 😂 

9 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I was tempted! But can't swing it in good conscience, mostly for storage concerns. Impractical.

10 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

I wish your subconscious would get a job at DST! 😂 

From your keyboard to God's inbox! But I doubt they have an opening for a product developer with over 25 years of designing licensed consumer products specializing in the kids market. 

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

We've hired product development types in the not-so-recent past, but I'm not sure if they're still hiring. If you're interested in contributing in a freelance capacity, you should reach out!

It's worth a try. I've already dealt with most of the same licensors and I do enjoy working from home. 🤓

This thread always delivers in spades! MisterPL's dream/vision/prophecy is an absolute treat, just wanted to say I think the transporter aspects an ingenious use of the hefty hex box (& that any rev-heads on the fence about googling bhm's suggestion totally should!)