UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

On 7/14/2021 at 6:57 AM, MisterPL said:

Speaking of companies that make promises they don't keep, it seems Paramount is adapting DST's business model of announcing projects but not following through.

Yet another Star Trek film is on its way!

No, really. They mean it this time. It'll be out just in time to tie in with the release of the long-awaited Enterprise-C.

I love the director's resume.

The writer's less so.

And I feel like JJ is a King MIdas these days (except he turns things to shit instead of gold). I did enjoy 1 and 3 which he produced so I'll cross my fingers for this one.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ is really good at getting the ball rolling. He's done okay with the Mission: Impossible franchise but, I agree, Into Darkness was a disappointment. Beyond felt like a solid episode.

That said, I still think Star Trek belongs on the small screen. Recent shows have proven they don't need a Hollywood blockbuster budget to have a cinematic quality. I was watching Discovery and one of my kids sat down thinking it was a movie.

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds.

58 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I have high hopes for Strange New Worlds.

I don't.

Honestly I don't have hope for anything produced these days. Hollywood seems so obsessed with injecting woke political statements into everything instead of putting storytelling first.

And if Discovery is canon for Strange New Worlds, they've damaged the character of Spock in my opinion. Anyway, let's hope I'm completely wrong and it has the spirit of Treks gone by.

And even if it has the TOS / TNG spirit, the fates of Spock, Pike, and any other TOS characters are known. Spock can't die in this time period so can never really be put in jeopardy. Pike has to end up in that mobile box. So if someone has a knife to his throat, you know he's getting out of it. Only original characters or those with unwritten outcomes can truly be in danger.

Again, forgive my negativity and let's hope I'm very very wrong.

Understood. But Star Trek has been injecting woke political statements into its stories from the beginning. The bridge of the Enterprise represented the United Nations. They were all cultural stereotypes but it was a significant first step toward representation and the hope that we could all work together. (McCoy's southern xenophobia notwithstanding.)

You're right about the fates of Pike and Spock. However, that's why I'm looking forward to new characters. Plus, "it's not the destination, it's the journey." Even knowing that Pike and Spock won't be in danger of dying, I'm interested to see how they deal with whatever strange new situations they find themselves in. I just enjoy watching characters like Spock and Number One interact in a broken turbolift.

Also, my ideal Star Trek takes place aboard the Enterprise, regardless of the crew, so I'm hopeful.

Optimism, Mr. Chaney. ??

I recall stories from DeForest Kelley and James Doohan about how fans had told them that McCoy and Scotty had inspired them to become doctors or engineers. But the stories from Nichelle Nichols weren't about fans inspired by Uhura to go into communications. It was about how important it was to see a Black person as a valued member of the crew, sitting on the bridge with the other officers, as an officer. 

I didn't expect it to be such a big deal 50 years later but here we are.

Would love to see "Plato's Stepchildren" variants of the Enterprise Crew in Minimates form.

Also, would like to see more Star Trek Alien Races and more Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise Minimates. As well as new Discovery and Strange New Worlds and Star Trek the Animated Series Minimates.

We have a full TOS crew with plenty of Kirk and Spock variants. I'd rather they go with TNG and forward. If they go back to TOS the only thing I'd probably want would be an alien 4 pack of some kind. Klingon, Romulan, Andorian, Salt Vampire. Something like that. Personally, I'm Kirked out. :)

The other series only have captains and an enemy really so there's a lot more they could do with recognizable characters.

I'm with Mr. Chaney. While there are an abundance of untapped (and IMO viable) remaining Kirk variants to anchor a number of SKUs, I'd sooner see DST jump into the 24th century and cover TNG, DS9, and VOY.

Assuming they still have the rights to offer 2" scale block-style figures, of course.

• 2 months later...

Would love more Star Trek minimates no matter what they are.

I would like to see a Minimate Enterprise-D and a Voyager, Defiant and maybe even NX-01.

Would like to see Discovery Minimates as well. Star Trek would be a great franchise to do Box Sets with extra parts as the uniforms are set to use for different characters with not much change. So you can buy four box sets and get a whole crew and the other characters you need from the extra parts in a box set or so.

7 hours ago, Captain Paco said:

Would love more Star Trek minimates no matter what they are.

I would like to see a Minimate Enterprise-D and a Voyager, Defiant and maybe even NX-01.

Would like to see Discovery Minimates as well. Star Trek would be a great franchise to do Box Sets with extra parts as the uniforms are set to use for different characters with not much change. So you can buy four box sets and get a whole crew and the other characters you need from the extra parts in a box set or so.

You make an excellent point here Cpt. Paco; with a few key choices of Starfleet uniform bodies and a smattering of alternate heads and hairpieces (and accessories!), DST could provide the possibility of rather complete Trek crews in singular box sets, while encouraging we hardcore fans to purchase multiples of these box-sets so as to be able to display all the variations simultaneously.

Personally I feel like a well designed Next Generation four pack with the alternate heads to fill out the rest of that program's bridge crew would be a good testbed for this concept, as TNG remains popular/fondly remembered, it has colourful uniforms with both striking and more 'vanilla' people to feature as the two alternate heads (e.g. O'brien as an alternate head for Geordie LaForge, Beverly Crusher as an alternate head one could put on a Jadzia Dax body etc)

It would also be very fitting, as the multiple outfit choices DST presented us with for Picard when he was in a two-pack with Hugh I consider to be one of DST's most successful exploitations of the modularity of the minimate, and Cpt. Paco's proposed 4 pack would be another efficient, enticing use of the interchangeable body parts on a slightly larger scale.

SignatureChoice, Thank you for the support in my idea. I think DST would satisfy all the True Trekkie Collectors with minimates if they did the box sets to complete at the very least the bridge crews for each series.

For TNG they could do Dr. Crusher (then remove the lab coat and head/hair) to add a spare pair of science blue arms and a second head/hair to make Deanna Troi in duty uniform. Data with a spare set of hands and a second head/hair for Geordi LaForge, Worf (then remove his sash and hands and head) then you can use spare hands and head/hair to make O'Brien or Barclay. Then you have Riker, and he could have a unbearded head and a bearded head to have both his first season look and then how he was for the remainder of the show.  That is basically the bridge crew for TNG, DST would have sold two sets to one person, but I myself would likely get four to six sets.

For DS9 they could do Jadzia and the have the spare head be for Dr. Bashir. They could then make O'Brien and have him have a spare head to make Thomas Riker as he was on DS9 for an episode. They could make Major Kira and give her a second uniform for when she become Colonel and wore a different color. They could make Odo and maybe make an different head or such for him that could show him changing shape (a reuse of the parts from the one Terminator series.) 

Alien mates, a boxed set could be Quark and a Ferengi uniform from their first appearance in TNG. Gowron with an alternate Klingon head and the parts to make him wearing the ritual Klingon garb. (thus it would help make a second Klingon with a few extra parts that may be from other mates one may have laying around.) Also any alien crewmembers in duty uniform would just need crew parts and extra hands or such.

Voyager: basically B'Ellana with extra head and hands for Tuvok, Paris with parts for Chakotay, Kim with parts for an extra crewmember, EMH with parts for extra science crewmember.  Then there is Neelix, Kes and Seven of Nine

Could also do a set with dress uniforms: Riker, Picard, Sisko could all have the same parts more or less. O'Brien, Data, LaForge could all have the same parts more or less. Crusher, Troi, Bashir, Dax could all have the same parts more or less.

I would love to see DST make a Minimates Bonus Parts for the collectors to make the final sets we all want for Star Trek. It would basically be a few parts that would allow us to make the figures they don't want to make in sets but give us the means to do it ourselves.  And one collector could purchase a number of the part sets and make what they want, the variants they want.

I repeat myself over and over, I know but I LOVE TREK and MINIMATES and want more TREK MINIMATES!!!!

Wow Captain Paco, excellent write-up, you've really thought this through. Especially your TNG bridge crew boxset proposal, you've really come up with an efficient, one and done way to fill out the remainder of that cast in the space of one four mate boxset. It certainly has much multiple purchase potential as you mention, and I've no doubt that in addition to those purchasing two in order to be able to have one of each option assembled, many more would be purchased to create 'extras' from these complete uniforms and spare heads they may have lying around. Once again, fantastic stuff.

I also very much love the idea of re-using T-1000 body parts to give DS9's Odo a more customisable look, a very good fit indeed, and you make a salient point about including a variety of heads and hands in your alien pack to make a very customisable 'duty uniformed alien crewmember' base body, as is the versatile concept of a dress uniform pack (which would also include extra expression heads, for further customisability of those crew members already represented. No two need be alike! indeed.

Your alternate suggestion of simply making a more collector targeted parts pack including the more essential parts necessary for completionists is a very solid compromise, especially with the 'to order', small run nature such a thing might entail. I've no doubt that there would be large amounts of multiple purchases for this option also, especially us minimate fans being as we are :P I will admit, that I had Trek minimates (3 inch!) before I had ever seen Trek, and that much of my experience of the numerous series and media was driven by my love for those figures. The colourful, yet uniform, uniforms and the gaggle of exotic, yet humanoid, aliens are both perfect fits for the iconic, and modular, minimate base body, and I too hope that DST will one day once again tap into this perfect fit for their versatile mini figures, even if just as a swan song.

Man, I love all of these ideas...but at this point I have to ask the question. Beyond any current intention or prospect for new Star Trek Minimates does DST even still have the rights to produce Star Trek Minimates? 

Also, if they do have the rights and a time comes that they would consider a TNG box set like has been discussed above I can almost guarantee that DST would have to put a Picard in that package. I know he has gotten a lot of releases already but much like Kirk he is a staple of the franchise and even has a current series bearing his name for recognition.

I always imagined a future 4 pack crew builder set to have Picard (S3 Red Torso), Worf (S3 Yellow Torso), Geordi (Generations Yellow Shoulders), Dr. Crusher (S3 Teal Torso w/Coat). Then i would hope that they would include 5 additional torsos (Generations Red, First Contact Red, First Contact Yellow, Generations Teal, First Contact Teal), I know not likely but its my dream...then 4 additional heads (Riker, Tasha, O'Brien and Troi. A few extra hands to match skin colors and you have the perfect set to crew build with. With this set up you could create versions of each of the main crew (minus Wesley and Pulaski) from the series and movies. Customizing additional crew and other starfleet would be easy with the right head swap. I know, it's a dream and wed likely get the bare minimum but a deluxe set like this is the only chance we have to ever complete the Next Generation crew in any significant way and that just makes me sad.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:42 AM, jettstorm said:

Man, I love all of these ideas...but at this point I have to ask the question. Beyond any current intention or prospect for new Star Trek Minimates does DST even still have the rights to produce Star Trek Minimates? 

Also, if they do have the rights and a time comes that they would consider a TNG box set like has been discussed above I can almost guarantee that DST would have to put a Picard in that package. I know he has gotten a lot of releases already but much like Kirk he is a staple of the franchise and even has a current series bearing his name for recognition.

I always imagined a future 4 pack crew builder set to have Picard (S3 Red Torso), Worf (S3 Yellow Torso), Geordi (Generations Yellow Shoulders), Dr. Crusher (S3 Teal Torso w/Coat). Then i would hope that they would include 5 additional torsos (Generations Red, First Contact Red, First Contact Yellow, Generations Teal, First Contact Teal), I know not likely but its my dream...then 4 additional heads (Riker, Tasha, O'Brien and Troi. A few extra hands to match skin colors and you have the perfect set to crew build with. With this set up you could create versions of each of the main crew (minus Wesley and Pulaski) from the series and movies. Customizing additional crew and other starfleet would be easy with the right head swap. I know, it's a dream and wed likely get the bare minimum but a deluxe set like this is the only chance we have to ever complete the Next Generation crew in any significant way and that just makes me sad.

Finally, someone puts voice to the age old, and elephant in the room question; do they have the right(s)! Very salient point on the near necessity of having a Picard in any potential TNG box jettstorm, absolutely so if going to retail. Some of us fans (myself included) may have Picard mentally filed away as easily available and much produced, but I had to remind myself how long ago that was in the scheme of things (and indeed, the captain himself could very well be the clincher for many a casual, parental or gift purchase of the proposed bridge crew set).

Thank you also for jogging my memory on Amazon's (?) Picard, I recall seeing the ad campaign at the time but had completely forgotten it's existence and as much, I'm not so much a 'true' Star Trek fan (I've only seen the TNG films and a handful of the more zeitgesity/pioneering Trek episodes) as I am a Star Trek minimate fan lol perhaps it's time I went the rest of the way down The Next Generation rabbit hole, I believe they have a few DVD box sets at my local library.

Your dream boxset concept though jettstorm, my gosh is it elegant. Most especially as you include a simple handful of additional torsos and cover the film looks also! (though I must say, the concept of 'TNG series crew' box and 'TNG film crew box' as separate, even staggered SKUs might seem appealing, especially with the potential re-use (or on our end, overlap) although that being said, this proverbial, essentially complete, (provided one buys two sets), TNG Bridge Crew shaped apple could most certainly warrant more than a few bites by definition. Of course, I'm only played D(ST)evil's advocate on splitting them, your torso idea is truly clever and utilises the modularity of minimate arms to great effect in reducing components, imho.

Also, I've not spent much time with the series but spent much time with the fans and from my limited understanding, Wesley and Pulaski would not be overly missed? :P 

I imagine it makes many of us sad, especially those who've truly stuck with Trek mates (I'd no idea the true scope of the series releases until a recent dive into MMDB) without getting anywhere near full numbers on the bridge crew. From what I understand TOS got quite fleshed out in terms of its bridge crew and it's also my understanding that TOS/TNG is one of those line-in-the-sand fandom questions like Beatles or Stones, Coke or Pepsi. Indeed, from what I gather the only question that Al Yankovic found hard was whether he liked Kirk or he preferred Picard. Not tapping into both sides of such a dichotomous well when both halves are (hopefully not were) licenses DST holds (hopefully not held) and indeed, both halves are revered enough to generate such a debate among Yankovic and others, seems like not only a missed business opportunity, but also one of those unfortunate instances where the true completionists were robbed of the chance to complete.

That being said, the truly finessed ideas presented by both jettstorm and Captain Paco highlight the ease of rectifying this to varying degrees and indeed, with the inclusion of Picard himself, jettstorm engenders the possibility of the hypothetical boxset not only fulfilling the wishes of many minimate/TNG/TNG minimate fans, but potentially creating scores more with such a comprehensive yet modular set that would be able to sit both timeless with the other ubiquitous TNG merch on comic book/toy store etc store shelves, while also intrinsically encouraging the purchase of an additional set for those who enjoyed the first and would like to have a full roster of bridge crew at the same time. Both of these factors make a large production run of a solitary, comprehensive and modular 4 pack seem like an exceptional option for a minimate product that could 'warm shelves', maintaining/building awareness of our favourite block figures in IRL spaces, while still remaining moreish and impulse buyish enough to both attract new fans and appease loyal ones. All under a single SKU.

A dream indeed, but with your proposed packages it becomes all the more vivid. Anyway the defense rests lol again, apologies on the mega post. I promise I'll paragraph better.

To be honest with y'all I am not overly informed on Diamond Select outside of minimates, and from a (very cursory, internet troubles) glance it seems the 'VIP club' only features more platform and transactional benefits. Big digression incoming

Is there any history of more fan targeted, direct-to-collector items (even if not minimates) ala the Art Asylum, McFarlane, Palisades fan clubs etc of yore? Full disclosure I have no idea if those kinds practices are still a thing, and knowledge of them is overwhelmingly apocryphal, or if the whole 'toy company fan club' special releases model/concept is as prominent over there (by which I mean, in the USA) as it once was.

I guess with it being quite commonplace to be expected to create accounts with retailers, and in that process being offered a newsletter and other exclusive offers with the tick or untick of a box, the idea of a more exclusive, even paid membership, fan club would presumably be less attractive to companies and customers alike. Thinking about it now, fan clubs perhaps run up against rewards programs as well. But I (heavily digress). Just thought seeing as we got the rights question on the record I might have a go at interrogating the idea of contemporary fan targeted, non-mass-retail releases, despite having no real clue and doing no research. If you're still reading cheers for your indulgence, (Vulcan salute) :) 

UPDATE: had a stickybeak online, apparently after much time without it it seems OG Trek toymakers Playmates recently regained the Star Trek licence, angling to launch their new line(s) in 2022.

I'm very much not across the action figure/block figure argument in a legal sense, but if minimates are considered the former in this case our pipe dreams may be laid to rest as action figures are on playmates slate.

That being said, between the nebulous/unique nature of minimates and there clear difference from genuine, proportional, sculpted etc. Action Figures and DST's variety of and track record with Trek merch, I, as a completely unqualified armchair speculator, feel that it's not implausible DST and Playmates could potentially strike a deal, as it seems is and long has been all the rage in the USA and it seems like they wouldn't particularly be stepping on each other's toes, considering the somewhat different markets each's items/approaches are geared to.

Again though, all this is speculation, and for a final, resounding conclusion: in a relatively recent dispatch from DST themselves it's said that the roadblocks that the company hopes to work through with the Trek licence are not a result of Playmates. Here's a link if you fancy https://www.diamondselecttoys.com/blog/ask-dst-433-star-wars-avatar-marvel-select-and-more/ 

"That sounds a lil like a contractually obliged statement!" I hear some of you say, and I hear others say "Offical public communications concerning competitors will always be deliberately worded, it doesn't mean their hands are tied!" and others will say "In the event these "roadblock" Trek negotiations are with Playmates, and ongoing, it stands to reason all parties would be amicable and professional!".

Others I hear just yelling about how "you've already sunk so much on moulds and such! re-use! re-paint! re-cycle!" while others whisper conspiratorially about third party possibilities and trade tips on where to find starfleet torsos cheap aftermarket, before all leaving the meeting early with their collars turned up and their expectations for DST surmounting these roadblocks low. Some blasphemous types would even say DST has stopped caring about Star Trek minimates, that it's not something they're interested in pursuing as they attempt to slalom these 'roadblocks', and I'm sure others would express that  boldly going in a new direction with the Hasbro 4 packs might just be the shot in the arm the line needs, optimistic and confident that we'll focus on Trektifying the untapped vein of starfleet bridge crew sets once the dust settles following the minimate revolution.

I'm sure there are others just hoping I'll shut up.

Personally I imagine the mechanics of the Star Trek merchandise licences are some of the most complex, long-standing things of their kind and have no doubt Diamond Select Toys are doing their very best to be able to keep doing the magnificent work they do with Trek product, minimates included.

Personally, I hope DST appreciates the long formed love of Star Trek minimates; an iconic collection of products that has existed and evolved over almost two decades and across two Minimate height scales, with so much potential left in the tank.

With the twentieth anniversary of the Star Trek minimate approaching, perhaps the commemorative, comprehensive, completionist TNG mix and match Bridge Crew army builder boxset could have a chance. As the line sleeps, perchance, we dream.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been disappointed with Picard, Discovery and Lower Decks. But I would selectively buy anything that I might be able to use with other Trek mates.

I've been watching Prodigy. It's not really what I think of as Star Trek though it exists in the Trek universe. It's the first modern Trek production that has not completely disappointed me and I hope it stays that way.

I'd buy anything from any Trek show prior to Discovery.

• 1 month later...

Given the price hike in Minimates to essentially $10 each, I’ll be paring down the scope of my purchases. I was fully prepared to jump into GI Joe and Power Rangers as a completist despite being far from a fan of either franchise. Now I’ll be stopping at the 2021 SDCC Joe set and I may only collect the original Morphin’ rangers. 

That said, the only current license DST holds (?) that could bring me and my cash back in full force is Star Trek. I wouldn’t hesitate to cannonball into the pool if DST decided to offer Trek assortments beyond TOS.