UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you wrote:

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

They definitely need to move away from TOS. There's so much more material pre- and post-TOS. Hell, gimme Arex and M'Ress from TAS or ANYONE from Lower Decks before yet another ShatKirk in uniform.

What DST hears:

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I'd buy the crap out of shirtless Kirk.

Sadly, I'd probably buy it.

Edited by cylonchaney

On 4/12/2021 at 4:28 PM, cylonchaney said:

Sadly, I'd probably buy it.

I think I've already posted at length about what Kirk variants I'd be interested in so I won't bother Wishlisting them all over again. Suffice to say episode-themed sets would be welcome from any era so long as they didn't retread what we've already gotten SO much of. (Offer a "Best of" assortment for the uninitiated if needed.)

:sarcasm-1: 

I think I've posted at length about what Kirk variants I'd be interested in so I'm happy to say it all over again .....to date we have had 14 Kirks ,13 of which have black pants/feet/boots/crotchpiece . 

Star Trek isn't my favourite line but I do appreciate that it is a line with legs albeit black legs.

The above is lighthearted hereon I am being pragmatic as usual.

Isn't it about time that DST released a set of generic pieces , a customising package, that fans old & new could utilise ?

Regards the 'shirtless' ....... I can think of several bare-chest Minimate characters who could donate.

#BlackLegsMatter

DST has offered stands. I was hoping that would at least lead to accessories and tiny props. (Gimme an arsenal of firearms or melee weapons or PEW PEW! FX.)

For some reason they (Chuck) are reluctant to offer blanks. I'm guessing it's because blanks might be perceived as a construction set and that distinction is what has kept Marvel and other licensed properties in their portfolio.

12 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I can safely say I never want another Kirk mate again. TNG and up only!

I would take Kirk only if it is him from a specific episode where he was not wearing the standard uniform or variation of the uniform.  Kirk from "A Piece of the Action" or Kirk from "Plato's Stepchildren" or Kirk as a Romulan or Kirk in the environmental suit or such.  Same goes for Spock and Uhura and so forth and so on.

I would take any TNG and beyond and any ENT or DISCO sets and the more spare parts the more sets I would purchase as I could then make custom mates of those that are not produced.  But I want STAR TREK ALIENS: Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, Ferengi, Denobulans, Kelpens and more.  There are ways to make Klingons with a few extra heads and chest blocks to make us collectors and Star Trek Fans be happy with building up the Alien Races we want for our Mates.

Klingons would need a Lursa and B'Etor from the House of Duras, Gowron and Martok and then all the TOS versions of the Klingons.  Romulans could even include Troi, Data and Picard as Romulans along with Tomalak and a few others. The Ferengi would have to have Quark, Rom, Nog and the Grand Nagus as well as Quark's Mother.  Dr. Phlox and Saru would be needed as well as other notable aliens from DISCO and of course a Bolian and a Benzite would be nice to have.

But also to complete a crew from the series after TOS would be great as well.

I think it'd be challenging to launch a line of Star Trek Minimates a third time without Kirk. However, it doesn't have to be Shatner's Kirk and, as Captain Paco said, it could be an alternate version from any number of popular episodes.

But I agree, Shatner's Kirk is pretty low on my list thanks to all the Minimates I already have of him.

6 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I think it'd be challenging to launch a line of Star Trek Minimates a third time without Kirk. However, it doesn't have to be Shatner's Kirk and, as Captain Paco said, it could be an alternate version from any number of popular episodes.

But I agree, Shatner's Kirk is pretty low on my list thanks to all the Minimates I already have of him.

Personally that’s why I think they failed. There’s tons of TNG and beyond love that is dying for merch. But then again I’ve never been a TOS Fan

I thought Legacy was the way to go from the beginning. Give us characters from every era. But by the time Legacy came out, the line had already been so TOS-heavy that even a pseudo movie tie-in couldn't save it.

It's long past time to give TNG-era Minimates the spotlight, especially since TNG, DS9, and VOY were the longest running series, not to mention that new shows like Picard, Lower Decks and the upcoming Prodigy are set in the same timeframe.

• 1 month later...

Even if they were willing to try, I'm wondering what contractual hoops DST would have to leap through to offer playsets for Trek Minimates. It seems like the category is off limits for some reason or they'd have offered a Build-a-Bridge in the Select line by now, right?

Right?

Yeah, seems like.

I had read some chatter (far from definitive) that the high price point was due to this being offered overseas, and it basically being a premium for getting it earlier before it's more broadly available. I'm not sure how true that is, but I agree that $500 is too much for this piece, its size notwithstanding.

I can see it being de-contented (no figures or electronics) and being offered for considerably less but skimming is a solid market strategy. The franchise doesn't seem to be able to support volume sales at this time.

Hopefully Prodigy will generate more interest in Star Trek.

I'd have to see it in person but even at $250, I'd probably pass.

Honestly, I'm much more interested in individual dioramas specifically tailored to my 'mates. Yeah, gimme the bridge, sick bay, engineering, the transporter room, and maybe the brig. I don't need a big, fancy, electronic display piece that's the size of furniture.

Besides, I already have one of these. :whistling:

It must be a very affordable license knowing that DST has to pay an annual guarantee either way.

I understand that the rights were segregated prior to the reunification of CBS and Paramount but it seems like both parties could now find a way to take advantage of Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, the upcoming Prodigy, Strange New Worlds, or maybe even pick up where the Legacy line left off.

I agree, so much opportunity to seize money from a somewhat reinvigorated fanbase with this increased media presence. 

I've beat my drum for TNG timeline mates (TNG,DS9,VOY) for years now but I have to admit Id even take some redoes on classic Trek if need be (just gimme a red shirt). The thought of mates of Picard, Discovery or other media does make me wish they would pick up Legacy like MisterPL mentioned and just incorporate a nice mix of properties....after my TNG Box set, of course. Heh.

• 2 weeks later...