UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

11 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Agree about the set but the fact is it sat on “pegs” for a long time. I remember seeing it being solicited and I freaked out that I wouldn’t be able to get it. But it didn’t do that great. 

If I recall correctly DST committed Luke to a production run of 3000 . I do not have any inside knowledge on Minimate production runs but after many years of collecting/hunting/ buying & observing Minimates I have a reasonable amount of faith in saying that there are several Minimate sets (maybe not Marvel) that perhaps never made it to a 1000 run yet DST seemed able to produce them .   

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, stack32 said:

That pack tells us a lot about the market but since it's not the information we want to hear I think a lot of us ignore it.

I don’t ignore it, I just think it’s the perfect case study in not marketing it correctly. To me, the ad buy was faulty as they could have targeted it differently. I’m also not convinced that they have the proper websites píxeled for retargeting. If there was away l, I would have the master contract with Marvel and Disney allow for a tracking pixel for DST to use but that it pie in the sky as those companies are notorious for controlling their data. There are other seo tricks CPC that I also would have done on google ad words. To me that’s the challenge that DST is not really maximizing. In addition to the bunch of potential ad units that exist on social. The cost goes down overtime but to me there is a two prong approach they need. Overall brand which needs to be bought on frequency and then the actual product on reach. But again, without looking at the data this is all just a guess.

Back in my day villains didn't sell as well if only because elders would exercise their veto power and push kids to buy the good guys instead. Personally, I bought Kirk and Spock before the Klingon, Batman and Robin before Riddler, and Han and Chewie before a Stormtrooper.

However, that was before the bad guys were being glorified. These days you've got the Suicide Squad, Venom, and Joker all getting their own movies.

If the numbers BHM is offering are true, DST could pull a HasLab and see if there's enough support to offer a 4-pack of Minimates through their online store at a minimum quantity. If they offered a 4-pack that allowed me to create a dozen different characters, I'd be down for at least three sets. 

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

That still means you have to believe there are a lot of people who would have bought the boxset but didn't because they weren't aware of it. I find that questionable at best.

Considering the amount of money Spider-Man merch moves I don’t think it’s that far off. Also the reach/frequency plan is more for minimates as a whole. 

57 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Back in my day villains didn't sell as well if only because elders would exercise their veto power and push kids to buy the good guys instead. Personally, I bought Kirk and Spock before the Klingon, Batman and Robin before Riddler, and Han and Chewie before a Stormtrooper.

However, that was before the bad guys were being glorified. These days you've got the Suicide Squad, Venom, and Joker all getting their own movies.

If the numbers BHM is offering are true, DST could pull a HasLab and see if there's enough support to offer a 4-pack of Minimates through their online store at a minimum quantity. If they offered a 4-pack that allowed me to create a dozen different characters, I'd be down for at least three sets. 

I would buy the hell out of a Trek set. 

Since when is Mega Bloks dead? They were rebranded as Mega Construx and appear to be doing just fine. They just announced GoT and Ghostbusters among other lines. 

Unless you just mean Star Trek, and yeah the MB Star Trek line seems to have petered out, but only after getting a ton of product onto shelves. And best I can tell, the Star Trek line is still continuing in their min-figure line which has a variety of different licenses shuffled around a couple of releases at a time.

Anywho, I'd still buy some Trek Minimates.

6 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

Enlighten me. 

My take? There aren't that many serious minimate collectors, or at least not enough to make a boxset with a run of 3000 a sales success, even a boxset that many of us felt personally invested in and bought multiples of. If we can't make a desirable Marvel set like that a safe bet what hope do other properties have? While I think DST has made many blunders over the years in character selection across various properties the harsh truth is that when they say they don't think the demand is there for something they're almost certainly right.

Also, I can't count how many times I've seen someone post a crazy wishlist who would also complain about having to buy a character they don't like to get one they do in a two-pack. Plenty of us talk a big game about how much they care about a line but don't back it up with our wallets, which I suppose kind of goes back to that first point.

It's hard to accept what stack32 says but the truth often hurts .

Things change but 8 years ago X-Treme Toys (?) released a 4-pack set which consisted of 4 Marvel characters which were complete re-releases from a year or two previously , including (notably) the first Minimate Deadpool which IMHO is one of the finest Minimates ever .  My usual disclaimers apply but I'm fairly certain that that box set had a run of 5000 & IMHO sold out , I can't prove that but I'm damn sure somebody from DST could & when you ask them ask them how many Infinity War box sets were made :yes:.   3000 :no:

Star Trek Minimates ? Not my favourite line but they're yards ahead of any (for example ) Netflix Marvel pack & I wish you Trek fans well

On 6/9/2015 at 12:37 PM, MisterPL said:

While I think this is a pretty cool SDCC exclusive, I can't help thinking how fun a 4-pack of characters in spacesuits would be for the TOS-happy Powers That Be at DST.

tholian-web.jpg

Or if they didn't want to spend the money on the extra tooling, maybe a multi-figure set like Playmates Toys' Transporter Series with packaging that looks like the transporter room.

723kirkmain.jpg

Technically both these concepts could be offered for every era of Trek, from TV and films.

If DST had wanted to put forth a modicum of effort, this is how they could have refreshed the same old TOS Minimates they tried (and failed) to lure retailers with.

Beam this up, Chuck.

If you did a box set of the TOS space suits / environmental suits with four figures, you would get a Kirk and a Spock in the suits from TMP and a Chekov and McCoy in the suits from the series and then have the parts to make them in their uniforms from the respective appearance, but you would get a second set to head swap Kirk and Spock to make the space suits from the series.

Don't recall any space suit/EV suits from TNG until the movies, but the same thing, Picard, Worf and Lt. Hawk in the suits with parts to make them in their Movie Uniforms, the the fourth figure could be Cochrane or Lily Sloan.  Then we would get Worf and maybe there would be parts to make his TNG uniform as well to encourage multiple purchases.

Not sure about EV suits on DS9 either, but I know Voyager had them.  Paris and Torres in EV suits with parts to make them in their standard uniforms with The Doctor that is transparent to some effect with parts to make him the ECH and then maybe Tuvok with parts to make him Tuvix.  This would get some more crew members to join Janeway and Seven of Nine who were already made.   Worf and O'Brien were on TNG so there could be a way to make these two in a special two-pack with parts from TNG and DS9 which would contribute to multiple purchases to get all the variants.  Worf in TNG & DS9 and TNG Movie/later seasons of DS9, O'Brien in TNG, DS9 and later DS9 seasons.  Thus it could have extra heads to make Barclay and LaForge. 

Enterprise, you could have Archer, Sato, Tucker and Phlox in EV suits with parts to make them in their standard uniforms and then a head for T'Pol for Sato's Suit, a head for Mayweather for Phlox's suit and then a head for Reed for Tucker's suit. this would allow multiple purchases as well and also round out the primary crew.  Granted you would have an second Archer but the extra body could be alternate look he had on the series.

A Transporter Series box set would work for each series as well.

TOS: Kirk, Spock, Scotty and Uhura as they only need some transparent legs and arms really and maybe some glitter in the mix.  Could give heads to make Sulu and Chekov but need more Kirk bodies to do head swaps, but could also have a Rand head to swap with Uhura if the arms and legs don't have flesh coloring on them.  

TNG: Picard Data, Troi and Worf as they also would need some transparent parts like TOS.  Could give head for Riker to use Picard's body, LaForge for Worf's body, Dr. Crusher for Troi's body and O'Brien or Barclay for Data's body.

DS9: Sisko, Dax, Kira and Bashir with Worf head for Sisko's body, and not sure what other characters you could do with this set.

Voyager: Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok and Torres, with Paris head for Chakotay's body, Kim head and hands for Tuvok's body and Seska head for Torres' body.  Could have an extra body for an alterate Janeway if needed. 

Just sharing my ideas like everyone else does on here.  I know they likely will never be made into reality by DST, but that should not mean people have to be mean about it.

I don't shoot down the other Wishes and Dreams that others share.  I enjoy reading on here what others are thinking and wishing for that is what this forum is for.  I for one really like Star Trek and Minimates and would like more official Star Trek MiniMates without the customizing I am attempting all the time for Star Trek with lots of creative licensing on my part.

Edited by Captain Paco

As much as I love those EV suits, the transporter effect that Playmates did was brilliant. Same tooling, translucent plastic with metal flakes, and light-up bases with sound FX.

I wouldn't expect that from DST for Minimates but it seems like the translucent plastic and transporter pad bases would be pretty easy. Put them in packaging that looks like the transporter room and you've got something a lot more interesting than another assortment of the same TOS characters.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

As much as I love those EV suits, the transporter effect that Playmates did was brilliant. Same tooling, translucent plastic with metal flakes, and light-up bases with sound FX.

I wouldn't expect that from DST for Minimates but it seems like the translucent plastic and transporter pad bases would be pretty easy. Put them in packaging that looks like the transporter room and you've got something a lot more interesting than another assortment of the same TOS characters.

For example you DST could use the transparent yellow legs and arms from the Astral Dr. Strange and put them on a Kirk torso and with standard Kirk head and hair and you have one similar to the Playmates Transporter Kirk in the pic before this post.  If I had more of the transparent promo minimates, I would try to make Transporter Effect Star Trek MiniMates for sure.

That's not a bad idea for fudging a QC. 

And honestly, if DST gave us Star Trek EVA suits, I'm the type of collector who'd buy multiples either to outfit an entire Away Team or just put them into lockers in the background of a staging area. I've lost count of how many EVA suits I've got from Alien.

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

That's not a bad idea for fudging a QC. 

And honestly, if DST gave us Star Trek EVA suits, I'm the type of collector who'd buy multiples either to outfit an entire Away Team or just put them into lockers in the background of a staging area. I've lost count of how many EVA suits I've got from Alien.

I have used parts from Halo and the Ripley Space Suit to make a Michael Burnham in a suit that resembles the one she wore in the first episode of Discovery.  I only have seen images as I did not get to watch the first episode nor do I subscribe to CBS All Access.  But I am not sure whose head I used but it was a African American Female head I found in my parts container.

But I would like to get more Star Trek minimates so I guess I have to scavenge to get parts that may work to customize for the rest of the time I am able to do so.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, stack32 said:

My take? There aren't that many serious minimate collectors, or at least not enough to make a boxset with a run of 3000 a sales success, even a boxset that many of us felt personally invested in and bought multiples of. If we can't make a desirable Marvel set like that a safe bet what hope do other properties have? While I think DST has made many blunders over the years in character selection across various properties the harsh truth is that when they say they don't think the demand is there for something they're almost certainly right.

Also, I can't count how many times I've seen someone post a crazy wishlist who would also complain about having to buy a character they don't like to get one they do in a two-pack. Plenty of us talk a big game about how much they care about a line but don't back it up with our wallets, which I suppose kind of goes back to that first point.

Minimates are kind of a leftover from a briefly popular toy craze-block figures- that the rest of the toy collecting world has long since forgotten. We're honestly lucky that we're still getting them at all, and I suspect that if and when Marvel ever decides "that's enough", there won't be enough demand left to sustain them.

I think that a Star Trek Next Generation anniversary set featuring a few standard bodies and lots of extra heads probably would have sold pretty well, but you're right that DST probably has good reasons to think it won't. They've certainly given Star Trek Minimates their fair shot, so I understand why they wouldn't want to jump back in again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:55 AM, hellpop said:

They've certainly given Star Trek Minimates their fair shot, so I understand why they wouldn't want to jump back in again.

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think they actually have given Trek a fair shot. I think they have given original Trek a shot. To me, “real” Trek is TNG through Voyager and those parts of the franchise have been  really ignored. 

14 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think they actually have given Trek a fair shot. I think they have given original Trek a shot. To me, “real” Trek is TNG through Voyager and those parts of the franchise have been  really ignored. 

That's fair. I meant more that they've tried the line three times now, which is quite a lot. But I agree that focusing so closely on the original was a mistake, and I think that a Next Generation focused wave or box set probably would have done pretty well.

They've given TOS three shots; the 3" line, the first 2" line, and again in the Legacy assortment. Out of 69 Star Trek Minimates, 51 have been from TOS. That's almost 75%.

I love TOS. There's still plenty I'd like to see from TOS, from television episodes and films.

However, the 24th century deserves a LOT more attention.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 9:28 AM, MisterPL said:

They've given TOS three shots; the 3" line, the first 2" line, and again in the Legacy assortment. Out of 69 Star Trek Minimates, 51 have been from TOS. That's almost 75%.

I love TOS. There's still plenty I'd like to see from TOS, from television episodes and films.

However, the 24th century deserves a LOT more attention.

I agree, we want more Trek Mates from the expanded Trek Universe, not just TOS.

There are a still TOS mates that could be made for specific episode looks, like the environmental suits or such.

But TNG has more crew to produce to join Picard as well as any special adventure costumes that appeared especially when Q was involved.

I know that the fans of Star Trek MiniMates (or at least me) would love to see the main crews completed in MiniMates form to compliment their captains which were made already.

The fact that with Avengers: Endgame having a box set that come with heads would be beneficial to the completion of the basic crew for each series.

TNG Box Set could have Picard, Troi, Data and Worf with a Riker head to use on Picard's body, Dr. Crusher head to use on Troi's body, LaForge head to use on Worf's body and a Barclay or O'Brien head to use on Data' body.  A bonus two pack could have Yar and Guinan.

VOY Box Set could Chakoty, Tuvok, B'Elana and the EMH, with a Kim head (and hands) to use on Tuvok's body, Seska head to use on B'Elana's body, Paris head to use on Chakotay's body and the EMH's body could have a Seven of Nine head to use to create her character from one of the temporal episodes.  I am basing this all on the fact that Janeway's body was basic enough to use for either gender in her release in the Legacy wave.  Also, if the Barclay's head is in the TNG set, it could use the B'Elana body if it is the basic type not showing gender.

DS9 Box Set would be using the basic body that Janeway had in the Legacy wave for Worf which would be a head made for the TNG set.  So continuing on the basic body, Bashir and Jadzia/Ezri Dax would also have interchangeable bodies.  Then O'Brien could also be a head reuse from the TNG set if his character was in that set.  So this set would be interesting as to just which characters would be in it as you need Kira, Quark and Odo, but Rom and Jake would be nice additions as well.

ENT Box set, would need T'Pol, Tucker (with a Reed Head), Hoshi, Archer (with Mayweather head and hands) and Phlox.  That would fill out the crew for this series.  The crew with environmental suits would be nice but not necessary.

DISCO: need the crew from Season one and the new crew from season two as well as the mirror universe.

21 hours ago, WookieFodder said:

I've been thinking about making a custom of Q using Time from Alice Wonderland Movie and trim off the bottom of his hat. Maybe pair that with Imperious Leader from Classic BSG boxset

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=543&n=Imperious+Leader

But who for the face?

Make that TNG crew DST

Considering the buzz Picard got at he Upfronts I would think they would be on it.