UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

I love Martin-Green, but I am not paying CBS for content. Give me The Orville instead!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty excited and apparently so is CBS. They've extended the season to 15 episodes and announced a "Talking Dead" after-show to accompany it. 

Initially I was planning on waiting for the season to end before getting CBS All Access for one month and binge-watching it. Now I'm not sure I'll be able to wait.

I was looking forward to the show but I don't want to subscribe to CBS All Access,  I already have Netflix, Vudu and Amazon Prime.  I don't want anything else.

I do hope to catch the pilot which I read is going to be televised on CBS and if I feel it is worth it, I will wait for the season to end and do the one month trail and watch it all at once.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CBS All-Access a 1 week trial? That is what I thought I was looking at when CBS inexplicably decided it wasn't going to allow AT&T to air CBS content for over 3 weeks.

So, 7" articulated figures of Kirk and Picard....

Sounds like the Select scale. Does this mean DST lost the Trek license entirely?

Well, DST kinda went "plastic statue style" with Star Trek Select for some reason. That level of expectation might be part of what attracted Todd to the property.

There's articulation in Todd's 7" figures but, yeah, it's pretty limited.

I gave up on getting more Trek Minimates years ago. The lack of retail interest in Trek, DST's obsession w the original series & lack of creativity in Trek offerings doomed the chances.

DST having the licenses for so many years and the only bridge crew we got from TNG is Picard and Sisko from DS9 is depressing. As people stated here numerous times 4-packs w extra heads should have been offered. With good character variety they would have been successful. DST is seeing now that 4-packs are easier for comic shops to sell. Shame they didn't see it then. ?

Mcfarlane won't do much w the license. Interest is still low from retail and their current "red top/blue top" strategy is a dud.

Edited by fwoosheyman

I thought DST's Select line had a solid business model. Ghostbusters seemed to be doing gangbusters, especially with the diorama pack-ins, and Marvel kept enjoying more articulation over the years. Even The Munsters seemed to do well considering it wasn't exactly an in-demand property.

But, hey! For Star Trek Select let's offer figures with limited articulation. And instead of a bridge diorama that would encourage collectors to "buy them all," let's stick to bases and props that are relatively scene-specific.

Marvel Minimates Series 60 took full advantage of a team's uniform look. I don't recall hearing anything from DST or retailers about how terrible sales were on that assortment. Luke's had to order more! 

But, hey! For Star Trek's 50th anniversary, let's offer the same seven figures we've offered before instead of an assortment of new ones that would allow collectors to create even more characters, encouraging them to buy twice as many SKUs as they normally might.

Not that DST has lost the 2" action figure category. Ironically, that may be the only category Todd's not interested in.

And they'd probably be a welcome addition to the 5" Playmates line except that they'd look nothing like this:

7843d0e7a611c2fc19c445cd8072c514e9c9c83b

Not that Todd has announced a fully articulated line of 5" scale figures yet. I also think it's pretty unrealistic for collectors to expect Todd to pick up aesthetically where another company left off. That's Funko's schtick.

McFarlane did make 5" figures for Halo and Assassin's Creed. He lost Halo and changed Creed over to the red top/blue top 7" statues.

There are still some Walking Dead 5" figures, they are now Walgreens excluvies and only because they asked. Everything else is the red top/blue top statues.

8 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Marvel Minimates Series 60 took full advantage of a team's uniform look. I don't recall hearing anything from DST or retailers about how terrible sales were on that assortment. Luke's had to order more!

But the factory didn't produce the full order of 60 at first, hence the shortages. After the second run the whole wave was readily available, most of the packs at a discount. I think people need to be careful about extrapolating too much from an unusual situation.

It's easy to blame DST for what they "should" have done as though they just threw in the towel, but I think there's ample evidence to suggest Trek just doesn't have much merchandising pull anymore. There are just too many failures to think otherwise.

22 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

McFarlane did make 5" figures for Halo and Assassin's Creed. He lost Halo and changed Creed over to the red top/blue top 7" statues.

There are still some Walking Dead 5" figures, they are now Walgreens excluvies and only because they asked. Everything else is the red top/blue top statues.

That's what I thought.

This has me confused and aroused:

From TrekToy.com:

DSTZach, on 24 May 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

Sorry it took so long to respond to people on Twitter, I just wanted to confirm what I thought, which is that we are still making action figures, ships, role play, etc.

Borg [Select] should be offered soon, with more articulation, plus interchangeable parts for different looks, and hopefully it addresses people's concerns about the line.

And two ships (Reliant plus ______) are more or less completed, so they may come out in more rapid succession, which is obviously another concern.

TNG Phaser, I have no idea, but we're still trying to get everything inside that little guy.

AND we've expanded our license! So you may see more products from us, from different areas of the Trek universe!

We'll also announce our SDCC exclusive soon.

Otherwise, I hope you guys like what Todd puts out, and I hope he gives you the articulation you were looking for.

End transmission.

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Borg [Select] should be offered soon, with more articulation, plus interchangeable parts for different looks, and hopefully it addresses people's concerns about the line.

Do want Borg.

giphy.gif

Edited by TooNiche