UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

17 hours ago, Liney said:

Poor Uhura, having to stand for her entire shift. I'm determined to devise a way to let her sit down. 

She's the total opposite of Nichelle Nicols, who was chained to her station during away missions and had to stay behind when they did pick up shots with Shatner as Uhura could be seen over his should behind him. 

Only thing I can think of (and I've thought a lot) would be to paint a NBX Dr. Finklestein's "skirt" red.

Edited by Mystery Man

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd want Picard in there for newbies so they don't have to resort to the secondary market to get a main character.

As a Series 60-style assortment based on First Contact, I could see:

Commander Riker/Worf and Worf in Spacesuit with bat'leth

Lt. Commander Data/LaForge and Borg Queen with alternate Borg parts

Crusher/Troi and Borg Drone with alternate Borg parts 

Picard/Hawk and Assimilated Hawk in Spacesuit

Edited by MisterPL

20 minutes ago, Mystery Man said:

Only thing I can think of (and I've thought a lot) would be to paint a NBX Dr. Finklestein's "skirt" red.

I had been thinking of casting a skirt in latex or something, your idea sound much better, hadn't seen Finklestein before, so I looked him up on the database. He looks like the ideal solution, plus I can his chest as the basis of Dr Horrible - of sing-a-long blog fame! Result.

13 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I'd want Picard in there for newbies so they don't have to resort to the secondary market to get a main character.

As a Series 60-style assortment based on First Contact, I could see:

Commander Riker/Worf and Worf in Spacesuit with bat'leth

Lt. Commander Data/LaForge and Borg Queen with alternate Borg parts

Crusher/Troi and Borg Drone with alternate Borg parts 

Picard/Hawk and Assimilated Hawk in Spacesuit

That's a good point about the secondary market. I still haven't found a non-extortionately priced Janeway and Seven. 

I thought the Mirror Mirror set was a great idea, 4 or 5 mates/crew in a box set, then release a tie in series to support it with a couple of alternate heads and one of looks.

Edited by Liney

so i got bored a few months ago after wave 60 and came up with this plan for star trek minimates. I tried to get a theme and always have captains included cause lets be honest no matter what they do we're always gonna get more captains. they're the anchors of waves for a lot of people like rick and michone in the TWD line or wolverine and spidey so they need to be in.

started with dividing it into series and then similar uniforms. Always was thinking about new sculpts etc and didn't load up one wave with to many new sculpts. Klingon heads would probably be similar to predator, have one and reuse it with different face tampos. same with ferengi. where it says TOS, TNG, DS9/Voyager, First Contact etc is the style of unifroms in that wave. apart from Pulaski is the generations wave, she'd have the TNG style i just couldn't fit her in any place else. list at the bottom is other characters i still haven't found a place for

tumblr_oc6fh0se3G1tmt713o1_r1_1280.png

That list is fantastic and looks like a lot of care and thought was put into it. You really did think of everybody- even Odo as a Klingon and Tuvix! Lol  I would love to see what Chang, Martok, Cowboy Data, and Zefram Cochrane would like. There's many more but, for some reason, those stand out to me.

As long as they made the re-release characters worth it, I would buy every single one of those on that list. :yes: Alas...-_-

What really makes me want these even more is that I've just recently classed up my Trek collection with Ikea Detolfs and minimates look really nice in them in front of DST's standard figure line. : )

I was trying to find a way for some 24th century Romulus military, but without going down a random Romulus army building route it just didn't make much sense, maybe a sixteenth Romulus wave with sela, Romulan trio, Picard and data and a new reunification Spock. I wanted to avoid some of the pitfalls that the marvel wave has pairing the two big sellers together and then two boring characters. Like wave 66 cap/ironman and Ross/agent 13 to me it made more sense to put cap with agent 13 and Ross with iron man so you can avoid peg warmers.

theres a lot more characters I'd like but taking into account buyer knowledge and popularity makes it harder to actually fit them in anywhere. 

Romulan soldier

admiral forrest

laxwana troi

dress uniform variants

Kassidy yates

keiko

kazon soldier

seska

wedding worf/jadzia

Tng sarek 

just a short list

On August 19, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Liney said:

That's a good point about the secondary market. I still haven't found a non-extortionately priced Janeway and Seven. 

Holy crap! TRU couldn't give those figures away a year ago. Ebay is so weird.

• 2 weeks later...

A McCoy hairpiece would be good but I don't know how willing I am to paint one. 

So for now I've got a Capt. Pike hairpiece on Scotty. Darker than basic brown and gives enough contrast to appear black. And still a more simplified sculpt of the hairpiece to match the ones the rest of the crew has from that period in DST's sculpting. 

Edited by Mystery Man

From Ask DST #330:

David E.:

1) Have you been approached by CBS or have you approached CBS regarding taking on a licence for the newly announced Star Trek: Discovery TV series? I’m drooling just thinking about a DST USS Discovery NCC – 1031 ship on my shelf next to the other DST ships I have. 

2) With Star Trek Beyond out everywhere and seemingly no toy line to accompany it, has there been any sort of discussion between yourselves and CBS/Paramount about taking on the license for the Kelvin Timeline films? 

3) This has clearly been quite a big year for Star Trek with a lot of companies putting out a lot of product. Some such as Mezco, Mega Bloks, Qmx and Eaglemoss seem to be really jumping on the 50th band waggon by showcasing a great selection of merch. Why is it that, for many fans out there, the toy line that has been a staple of Star Trek toys for 10 years now, has seemed rather lacklustre in this anniversary year? One ship, one figure and one phaser hardly seems very extensive…  

3) Should we, as fans of Star Trek and of your Trek merchandise (in particular for me it’s your ships), be nervous about the future of your Star Trek line or are there exciting plans afoot that will reignite your Star Trek line?

DSTChuck: David, I think once there is more information available about Discovery, we will have a dialogue and see where it goes. There are no current talks with CBS about the new movies. We have talked to them in the past. I am sorry we have not made enough products for you this year. We think when you add it all up there has been a good bit of product, but I guess that is in the eye of each collector and their interest and budget. As for the ships , I see no reason to be nervous, we always have the GOAL of two new ships a year and do the best we can to achieve that. Sometimes stuff comes up that is not expected and causes us to spend more time than expected getting a ship to market.

----

I really wanted to get excited about the possibility of getting more Star Trek Minimates with the return of the franchise to its television roots. However, given DST's reluctance to jump into Marvel TV (ABC's Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, Netflix's Daredevil, et al) and the failed attempt to get retailers to take original series characters for a fourth time, even in this anniversary year, my expectations couldn't be lower.

I can already imagine the rationale for not offering Minimates based on Discovery; it's essentially TOS era (which doesn't sell) and it's on a subscription network (and those metrics are queer). 

DST has clearly favored TOS-era product though I'm not sure why. I know they try to leverage toolings as much as possible (ships, 7" figures) but when it comes to the uniform nature of Star Trek Minimates of any era, that doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker.

Like I said before, I'd love to know retailers' reaction to the 50th anniversary boxed set (beyond "No, thanks") and get their impression of a set based on First Contact instead.

Chuck seems pretty set on TOS-era, so good luck in getting anything but that offered to retailers.

I guess he believes the new movies are TOS characters so they have the best chance of selling or maybe a combo of that and personal preference. He does kinda skew toward older choices as his favorites.

Personally, I think some of the ideas that members here have come up with, in regards to multipacks and blind bags, have a much greater appeal and chance of success than DST's conservative offerings.

Edited by fwoosheyman

The more I think about it the more I think two 4-packs of main characters would be ideal... both for new fans who missed the old releases or old fans wanting to upgrade/army build their crews. These would include alternate pieces to make Bones in his short-sleeve shirt and plenty of phasers, communicators and tricorders.

-Kirk (yellow shirt)/Bones/Uhura/Sulu

-Kirk (green shirt)/Spock/Scotty/Checkov

Then they could release one series of 4 two-packs with other characters like:

-Yeoman Rand/space suit from "Tholian Web" with alt. heads

-a Romulan and Klingon with alt. faces/hair for army building

- yellow dress crew member/sculpted-face Gorn

-Nurse Chapel/Salt Vampire

Maybe even do an exclusive set to TRU with the Kirk set mentioned above along with a couple exclusive sets such as:

-Andorian/Horta 

- transporter/engineering tech guy in the baggy red jumpsuit/Mugatu

That done, move on to other series. 

Edited by Mystery Man

Hey gang, I apologize for missing lots of obvious stuff here, but I haven't kept up with this line at all. So I'm sure the answers to my questions are common knowledge at this point, but rather than try to weave through the thread to find my answers, I thought I would just straight up ask. I recently decided I want to buy all the original crew TOS in Minimates form. I see some scattered talk here about future plans and I saw a few posts from earlier this year (back in February) on other toy sites mentioning that DST plans to release a 7 pack of the TOS crew.

Since that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for, I need to ask... Is that set still slated to come out? I'd rather know that TOS versions are on the way then spending a bunch of money trying to track down the older sets.

Thanks so much for any help that can be provided!

52 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

It was never going to be a seven-pack, but it is not happening at this point.

Man that's a real bummer to hear. I really need the TOS crew. Trying to cobble one together from various sources but Scotty is really turning into a problem, at least I have a few leads on some of the others.

So it's a total no go for any foreseeable future?

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Right. I keep forgetting Kirk's chair was taking the place of another figure.

Was there anything different offered in terms of accessories? Like stands that looked like transporter pads?

I'm sure that would have been cool. I never saw the designs, only what was prototyped.

3 hours ago, SCW said:

Man that's a real bummer to hear. I really need the TOS crew. Trying to cobble one together from various sources but Scotty is really turning into a problem, at least I have a few leads on some of the others.

So it's a total no go for any foreseeable future?

Retailer response was poor, as far as I am aware. And that was TOS crew in the TOS anniversary wearing the uniforms of the current movie crew. Not sure what interest there is in trying again with a whole new line-up for a different era and anniversary.