UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post! I had to jump in on this.

DS9 for me was always my favorite. I loved that each of the characters were not so black and white and that they were willing to take risks with character development.

As much as I am a huge DS9 fan, it does pale in comparison to the first 4 seasons of Babylon 5 (we don't talk about season 5). Despite the ham-fisted humor, the show dealt with many topics that other sci-fi shows did/would not. I would really love some B5 'mates but I'm sure that will never happen at this point.

Sisko's definitely my wife's favorite captain.

I always thought Paramount made a mistake in bringing Star Trek to the big screen. I understand why they did it (the success of Star Wars and greed) but I really think Trek belongs on TV, just not on network TV.

I often wonder what the franchise might have looked like had Paramound gone forward with Phase II on television rather than doing The Motion Picture. Nimoy wasn't interested in another ongoing series so there'd have been no Spock unless (as with the films and TNG episodes) the stories were Spock-centric. Therefore we could still have episodes during sweeps weeks featuring Spock helping the crew with V'Ger after leaving his Kolinahr discipline, his sacrifice saving the Enterprise from Khan, and his resurrection on the Genesis planet, et al. They'd simply be two-part episodes instead of feature films.

And if the cast gets too expensive, write their characters off and promote those actors who choose to stay. Let Admiral Kirk teach at the academy while Sulu's promoted to captain of the Enterprise. Bring on Ensign Picard as navigator. Allow the show to evolve organically. No gimmicks or twists (DS9 notwithstanding). If you want to do a season of "Lost in Space," there's no reason to create a new ship and crew. Just use the story as a way to introduce new characters and revisit or jettison less popular ones as needed (Dr. Pulaski and Wesley Crusher, I'm looking at you two).

I also thought Enterprise could have been a fun way to reimagine the franchise BSG-style, complete with race- and gender-swaps. Archer was a proto-Kirk, T'Pol was a female Spock but a Vulcan who'd gone native rather than being half human, and instead of being a xenophobe, Phlox's McCoy was actually an alien. All kinds of potential there for a total reboot. I even liked the title.

I just wish JJ Abrams had produced his Star Trek reboot as an ongoing series for TV rather than a film franchise but it's made far too much money for CBS to go that route now. It'll be interesting to see where the Netflix series goes if that happens.

(Welcome aboard, Padrino!)

Welcome Padrino. I've never seen that show to be honest.

Just use the story as a way to introduce new characters and revisit or jettison less popular ones as needed (Dr. Pulaski and Wesley Crusher, I'm looking at you two).

Too bad we never saw those two properly jettisoned--out of an airlock on the show.

And when I watch it now, I see so many seeds that would eventually come to fruition in BSG.

I would use a more appropriate analogy, that the dead leaves from the great, fully bloomed flower of DS9 were gathered up and haphazardly cobbled together into a pale imitation known as BSG.

Wait-a-minnit. Admittedly, I don't follow fan threads on the internet, but people are drawing parallels between DS9 and BSG? Other than them both being SF TV shows, I don't see how the relevance. It's like comparing apples and kittens.

I'm not saying there are parallels, just that some ideas that were introduced in DS9 are seen again in BSG. The founders' infiltration of Starfleet is very similar to the cylons' infiltration of the colonies (the enemy among us ). Terrorism, self-destructive sacrifice, and insurgencies are themes in both (good guys can be terrorists). And then there is the major role that religion played in both- each even culminated in the disappearance of its messianic character. These individually aren't anything, but I don't really have a hard time imagining that Ronald D Moore, et al, after five to ten years wanted to revisit some ideas and run with them in a different direction.

And then there is the fact that Ronald D Moore has directly said that BSG was born of DS9 and was his chance to explore things he wasn't able to in DS9. That's not really apples and kittens.

Edited by Turtle

And then there is the fact that Ronald D Moore has directly said that BSG was born of DS9 and was his chance to explore things he wasn't able to in DS9. That's not really apples and kittens.

Ah. I did not know the shows had some producer overlap. I see now how one evolved of the other.

My favorite ST series was Deep Space Nine, with the Next Generations second. Enterprise was on the right track but unfortunately its run was prematurely ended. Each of the series struggled to find its way through its first two seasons before finding the right storyline/narrative.

I thought Deep Space Nine had such a great story arc over its seven years, though its great run didn't really start until Worf got added to the cast. What other ST series ended with millions of a particular race killed in a war (Cardassians)!! I am a bit miffed that with all of the ST minimate wave releases, that we still haven't Worf released as a minimate yet. Ones that would had made sense was Work in his Next Generations outfit, Deep Space outfit, Klingon battle armor, etc. It suffered from a bit of the "Stars repeat Syndrome" in that there were too many versions of Kirk and Spock released.

I would be satisfied if we can just get a 5 pack release for each ST series. We need our Worf and Data minimates!

My understanding is yes. Each deal is unique. Most can be renewed, if both parties see profits in the future.

• 1 month later...

Personally I love the idea. I've been reading Star Trek TOS comics by IDW for a while now, and they have some very well done stories and art. I'm actually quite excited for the POTA / TOS crossover. Naturally I won't buy it until the trade paperback comes out, seeing as I can't stand buying individual comics at 24 to 30 pages each, and wait a series of 4 to 6 months for the whole story to come out. But I'm patient like that...

Imagine getting new Star Trek and PotA mates instead of the 900 other new properties we're getting.

I'm afraid that's all any of us can do...imagine.dry.png

Imagine getting new Star Trek and PotA mates instead of the 900 other new properties we're getting.

Don't get me started. At least they still have the Trek license but I'm not looking forward to getting a shitload of the same redone Kirk figures again for the 50th anniversary. (You know, since fan-favorite episode "City on the Edge of Forever" = "Hobo Kirk & Spock," apparently.)

Naturally I won't buy it until the trade paperback comes out, seeing as I can't stand buying individual comics at 24 to 30 pages each, and wait a series of 4 to 6 months for the whole story to come out. But I'm patient like that...

I do the same thing. I don't mind being six months behind as long as it's a good story with solid art. Too many comics events start off great and end weak. Some don't even end.

odd I thought the song says to “Imagine there’s NO heaven” not “imagine what heaven would be like”

I’d gladly trade Grim Fairy Tales, Aliens, View Askew, Mass Effect, Godzilla, Nick Ninja Turtles, Nightmare Before X-Mas, Big Bang Theory, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, and Sin City for JUST the following:

Classic Apes:

-Cornelius

-Zira

-Zaius

-Taylor

Modern Apes:

-Cesar (no war paint)

-Koba (no war paint)

-Marius

-Buck from Rise

Stark Trek:

-Geordi

-Data

-Worf

-Riker

that’s IT... those 12 for EVERY. SINGLE. NON-MARVEL. MINIMATE. AT. COMIC. CON.

(not to be a negative nelly, I do like *some* of the mates in those line... I’ll probably buy a set of turtles off someone who buys a case to army build foot soldiers and get the chase. I’ll ignore mass effect all together because f**k impossible bling bags... and I’ll even get the Zenoscope set when it hits discount because I like Red Riding Hoods... but if the devil offered me the trade above I’d have signed before he even finished the sentence.)

Edited by dr baghead

did I miss an iron man crossover at some point?

Given IDW’s game plan seems to be making as many fanfic style crossovers as possible if i hasn’t happened yet give it 15 minutes and they’ll announce it.

Here’s a sneak peak at the plot line so you can stark making customs now:

IDW’s STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION /Disney’s Marvel’s INVICIBLE IRON-MAN : STARK TREK!

Oh No! Disny’s Marvel’s Iron Man , Tony Stark , has fallen through ANOTHER galactic wormhole! But this time he finds himself in the world of Star Trek: the Next Generation Now he’s got to race against time to modify the Enterprise-D ’s teleporter to get him home to help the Disney’s Marvel’s THE AVENGERS save New York... but of course he’ll find sometime to share some beard care tips with Will Riker , hit up happy hour at the Ten Foward to grab a Romulian ale .... OR SEVEN! and of course makes the obvious already done when Disney’s Marvel’s THE X-MEN met the cast of Star Trek the Next Generation Captain Picard looks like Professor X jokes...

But Tony Stark wasn’t the only one to go through the galactic wormhole and Disney’s Marvel’s SPY MASTER has teamed up with the Borg to use Stark technology to enhance their power and assimilate the cosmic worlds of BOTH universes!!!

Can Tony Stark stop the Borg and get home in time to help Disney’s Marvel’s THE AVENGERS ?!?! Find out in IDW’s Star Trek/Disney’s Marvel’s The INVICIBLE IRONMAN: STARK TREK!

Part one of the epic Stark Trek thrillogy!

Part two: A song of Riker and Ice: House of Stark Trek COMING SOON!

Park three: the Enterprise goes to one of those creepy sex themed planets in: Stakers Trek COMING SOONER!