UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My big concern is that the "next big event" will be another film, which at this rate means rebooting the line again in another three years with product that's at best loosely based upon whatever classic Trek tale filmmakers sample. If they give us another reimagining of a fan favorite episode like "City on the Edge of Forever," would that force DST into offering the dreaded "Hobo Series" of Trek characters?

(Good God, Jim! What if the studio dares to give us something new?)

Don't wait for the "next big event." Give us boxed sets, sets that are either based on popular Trek episodes or sets that will at least allow collectors to fill in the long gaps in one or two of their bridge crews.

Don't wait for the "next big event." Give us boxed sets, sets that are either based on popular Trek episodes or sets that will at least allow collectors to fill in the long gaps in one or two of their bridge crews.

Hey all,

I have to totally agree with this. Just chuck out a box set of 5 figures every few months to get the outfits out that we need. Ideally:-

TNG - Data, Beverly, Klingon Warrior Worf, Sela and Guinan

DS9 - Kira, Jadzia, O'Brien, Odo and Quark

VOY - Torres, EMH, Neelix, Kez and Viidian (this last one could be anyone, really)

ENT - T'Pol, Trip, Sato, Phlox and Shran

I'd be over the moon with these. If need be add a TOS / Movie set as well.

Take care,

Matty-lad

Minimates were competing with a relative glut of Trek product from the latest film, especially in the mass market. Waiting for a non-event year might actually help move product since DST doesn't have rights to NuTrek (or whatever kids are calling it).

Boxed sets enjoy a higher profit margin. If they offer the right characters and accessories, it will encourage repeat sales per collector.

Trek benefits from shared uniforms. Offer those common bodies but with alternate noggins and accessories to create other characters and boxed sets should do well.

I don't know where we said box sets have a higher profit margin. One box set is twice as profitable as a two-pack, but it costs twice as much to make, so the margin is the same. (Packaging for a four-pack is not the same cost as packaging for a two-pack, which may be where the confusion comes in. Shipping is based on weight and volume, both of which are doubled.)

Box sets may still be possible, but I doubt we would make the exact same characters in any new series of Minimates, no matter when it comes out. A new Picard, a new Kirk, sure, they'll always be anchor characters, but Archer, Janeway and Sisko? I wouldn't think we'd revisit them, since there are equally (or more) prominent TNG and TOS crew members, but who can say. And I imagine we'd be in for a new array of aliens.

But if the next movie is based on hobos, I'm sure we will do a hobo two-pack.

Edited by DSTZach

I don't know where we said box sets have a higher profit margin. One box set is twice as profitable as a two-pack, but it costs twice as much to make, so the margin is the same. (Packaging for a four-pack is not the same cost as packaging for a two-pack, which may be where the confusion comes in. Shipping is based on weight and volume, both of which are doubled.)

Box sets may still be possible, but I doubt we would make the exact same characters in any new series of Minimates, no matter when it comes out. A new Picard, a new Kirk, sure, they'll always be anchor characters, but Archer, Janeway and Sisko? I wouldn't think we'd revisit them, since there are equally (or more) prominent TNG and TOS crew members, but who can say. And I imagine we'd be in for a new array of aliens.

My understanding has always been that box sets sometimes sell better, because retailers can order them individually and may be more apt to take a flyer on a box set then a full set of two packs. But that just may be speculation on my part.

My understanding has always been that box sets sometimes sell better, because retailers can order them individually and may be more apt to take a flyer on a box set then a full set of two packs. But that just may be speculation on my part.
That may get us broader distribution, as more stores have access/take the risk, but I don't know that it necessarily translates to a higher dollar amount. Someone who ordered a case of two-packs (three sets plus a variant set) may only order three or four box sets. Which is, dollar-wise, less. I think we always prefer to do two-packs. That said, we are investigating a new method of distribution for an upcoming line that may turn out to be one of our most successful. Perhaps one day it can be applied to the Star Trek brand.

That said, we are investigating a new method of distribution for an upcoming line that may turn out to be one of our most successful. Perhaps one day it can be applied to the Star Trek brand.

DUDE! You can't just throw out a morsel like that and leave us hanging. Oi! pinch.gif

I've blown so much money on Blind Box Japanese Figures over the years that I refuse to purchase anything Blind Boxed or Bagged EVER AGAIN!!!!!!

I'm not saying it is blind bags, but Lego and Hasbro seem to be doing all right with them. I understand the arguments against them, but if it got us into new mass market retail chains, I have to imagine it would be good for the line as a whole. But then, I'm not a completist for most of the blind-bagged lines I've bought. Not since Transformers SCF.

I can see where blind bags are good for for the toy company and the retailer, but they are the worst for the consumer. And it really doesn't make a difference if you're a completist or not. If an assortment came out and I wanted to buy a specific figure then I'm either having to buy it loose on the secondary market or I'm gambling on getting the thing I want to pay money for instead of the thing or things that I don't want to pay money for. Finding non-specialty minimates has become less and less fun as it is. Adding blind packs into the already broken mix just takes it to another level.

As I said, I get that DST would be behind such a gimmick because it's kind of a fad now and the stores would buy them. So I'm not faulting them for jumping on the bandwagon that Lego and Hasbro are driving sales with. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of a collector that is going to have to jump through yet another hoop just to give someone money for something I want.

I kind of like “semi-blind bags” like the Mario K’nex currently are were there’s a painfully obvious code on bag so you can just buy the ones you want OR grab a couple at random and be surprised by the content.

So if blind bags would get minimates into new stores AND there could be a clear code on the bags everyone would win.