UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

There are a lot of characters they can put in waves, but not a lot of assortments of characters that can successfully carry a wave. Making Geordi and Data out of one figure would probably be a bad move for DST, but maybe changing it to Geordi and Barclay might be feasible. The question would be what kind of increase in sales is likely from packing extra parts in a set? I think DST would have some idea based on some of the Marvel sets, but it's probably tough to put a number on.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see additional faces, jackets and such for characters as being a good thing, for example Picard with all his different looks gives you some variety in a display. But all the variations are still the same guy, like Banner and Hulk are really one person.

However I agree with Oynx_6. Using the example of Geordie with Data parts, you have to buy two of the set to get both characters, but will then you are also left with a duplicate of each head/hands/whatever. If both characters are released in their own right you would still buy as many sets and avoid a supply of bodiless appendages. Plus it means additional sets/waves can be planned and released.

The only way I would be happy with all the spare heads is if DST know the line is over and use it as a way of getting as many characters out as possible before it finishes.

Don't get me wrong,I don't want to cause a fight, I want as many trek mates as possible, but asking for alternate character pieces always baffles me.

I'd like to think that bridge characters can anchor each series, therefore there's no reason to have characters like Geordi and Data to swaps parts just to offer both. However, I think it still makes sense for characters like Barclay and Ro, who might not otherwise be offered on their own, to be alternate versions of other, more popular anchor characters.

That said, all Trek is not created equal, certainly not in the eyes of DST. Since there seems to be little faith of the heart in ENT, I get the feeling that the only way we'll get a complete bridge crew from that show is if certain characters are offered as variants, probably in 4-packs.

Offering obscure characters as variants of anchor characters is good for DST since it compels consumers to buy more than one set. Fans of the show will find ways to do quick customs thanks to the common Starfleet uniforms. With so much resource material available to DST, the number of viable anchor characters is pretty high.

Using the example of Geordie with Data parts, you have to buy two of the set to get both characters, but will then you are also left with a duplicate of each head/hands/whatever.

I find those tend to be perfect for adding variety to army builders like Shield agents, etc.

I find those tend to be perfect for adding variety to army builders like Shield agents, etc.

Assuming Geordi's visor comes off, he'd still need a set of goggles since his eyes are kinda blank.

And given Data's golden complexion, he'd be a good addition to the Nova Corps.

But I still think this kind of pairing is best left to a desperate, end-of-the-license, final series.

Okay, I have been rethinking the issue of Star Trek future waves, if we get them.

So Wave 2 could be all first officers and just in the chance there is not a TRU wave I have only decided to give ideas for Specialty Waves.

So Wave 2 1) Riker in TNG Uniform with a Bolian, 2) DS9 Kira with Vedek Bareil, 3) VGR Chakotay with Kazon, 4) ENT T'Pol with Xindi Primate (possible variant could be Movie Riker (with alternate unbearded head & Romulan)

Wave 3 1) Data in TNG Uniform with TNG Klingon, 2) DS9 Jadzia Dax with Morn, 3) VGR Tuvok with Neelix, 4) ENT Tucker with Xryillian Female (who made him get pregnant) (possible variant could be Movie Data as seen at the end of First Contact -partially borgified (with parts to make him as normal version) with Zephram Cochrane)

Wave 4 1)LaForge in TNG Uniform with Pakled, 2) DS9 O'Brien with Rom or Quark, 3) VGR Paris with Kes, 4) ENT Reed with Phlox (possible variant could be Movie LaForge- without his visor and Movie Deanna Troi)

Wave 5 1)Troi in TNG Uniform with Lwaxana Troi, 2) DS9 Bashir with Leeta the dabo girl, 3) VGR Kim with Vidiian, 4) ENT Hoshi with Suliban (possible variant could be Movie Crusher with Ru'afo)

A bonus box set could be Worf in TNG Uniform (with Movie Uniform parts), Odo, EMH and Mayweather.

We have the whole TOS crew and thus resources should be used for those crew members that never got officially made.

We could have an alien box set of TOS aliens: TOS Klingon, TOS Andorian, TOS Salt Vampire, TOS Apollo or TOS Lincoln.

Just my thoughts

Edited by Captain Paco

I'd love to see episode specific box sets instead of waves, IF the waves are going to be so spread out and in doubt after each consecutive release. As an example, there could be an "Encounter at Farpoint" 4-pack, Picard(anchor figure), Q in robes, Yar, Geordi(1st season), with extra parts to make, say, Q in Starfleet uniform. Seems these would have just as much chance as 8-figure waves, and we could still get unique figures. Plus the option of different stores having shared exclusives much like the Enterprise ship, staggered quarterly, would be a substantial number of figures per year.

Currently, if wave 2 doesn't finish any Next Generation crew or other series even, I'm not sure we'll ever see them.

Captain Paco, with all due respect, you've lost your frakking mind. Releasing ANY Star Trek waves without atleast one TOS two-pack is ludicrus. I read somewhere a year or two back that TOS product acccounts for 40% of the Star Trek liscensed merchandise sales, with TNG falling in second, then DS9, VGR, and finally ENT. So as much as you think there shouldn't be any TOS stuff, I'm affraid you'll probably sadly disappointed. Plus just because you have some kind of itch to scratch you want all TNG, VGR, DS9, and ENT, what about us TOS fans that have been waiting for stuff like a Enviromental Suited Kirk or Spock, as well as the Aliens. Hell, I'd even be happy for an Ensign Davies Red Shirt to kill off over any of the other lines, but hey, that's just my two cents...

I would love to see a Red Shirt with all kinds of accessories to show multiple deaths. Stuff like Phaser Burn Torso, Horta Burned Face, or the Over Easy Egg Monster (Neural Parasite) from Operation Annihalate...

I’ve recently been watching Star Trek: TNG on Netflix and I am amazed at how well the show holds up today, sure there are some cheesy moments here and there, but overall it is a really good show. I loved the show growing up and it is one of the few things my father and I could agree upon; I still remember getting home from school every day just in time to watch it with him. Seeing as it is very unlikely that we will ever get the entire crew (honestly I’ll be surprised if we ever get another crew member beside Picard), I decided I would make a wish list (seeing as every thread eventually turns into one anyways) for TNG. All it would take is two box sets and one two-pack and we could have the entire crew.

Box set 1 – Picard, Data, La Forge and Tasha Yar

Box set 2 – Riker, Counselor Troi, Worf and O’Brien

And last, but not least; a SDCC exclusive Crusher two-pack of Dr. Crusher and her son Wesley

……Make it so, DST

Edited by Santos L Halper

Macross....opinions are all that are being given here. I personally think we have enough TOS mates and that the other Treks need their due. I was only offering MY OPINION about waves that could be offered via specialty stores if TRU does not have Trek mates in the future. If TRU does offer mates then we could mix things up with TOS mates as well. I have customized as many of the crew members as I am capable for TNG, DS9 and VGER so if we never get official mates for them I am fine but I would always want official ones if I can get them. I think Mates could do fine without TOS crew member but Aliens would sell for sure. Again this is all merely free opinion and speculations. I would like to set the first officers of each series get a minimate version. I mean we got Seven of Nine merely because of the sex appeal and popularity of that character.

Santos, I do like your idea for boxed sets but I am not sure about getting yet another Picard unless he was in the Rescue Uniform (all black when he was captured and tortured by Cardassians) or the way he appeared in the episode "Tapestry" which could have the parts to make him as both the fresh LT. and then as the science officer in a blue uniform.

I think maybe their could just be specialty store/retailer boxed sets.

1) a variation of Picard, LaForge, Data & Troi

2) Kirk in environmental suit (maybe even a transparent version as he was phasing in and out of dimensions), Mirror Scotty, Uhura in gold uniform as seen in very early episodes of TOS (maybe 2 episodes) & a TOS Klingon other than Kor

3) Riker, Dr. Crusher, Worf (with parts for a DS9 uniform) & O'Brien (with parts for a DS9 uniform)

4) TOS Romulan, TNG Klingon maybe Gowron, An Andorian & a Bolian (or a set of four aliens which I think would sell decently)

5) Mirror McCoy, Dr. Boyd (from the original pilot of TOS), environmental suit Chekov & a generic TOS red shirt (with a second head and hair for army killing, I mean army building)

6) This should be a set of DS9 with maybe Jadzia, Bashir, Quark and Morn.

7) This could be a Mixed set with say Chakotay, T'Pol, Xindi-Primate & Kazon

Again, this is just ideas of mates that have not been made or have no other version in minimate form. Kirk and Spock have been over done and so if they need to have TOS in them to sell, then focus on other main characters and aliens and let Kirk and Spock sit out a few.

Not sure if you guys saw this, but it was buried in the latest AskDST:

Trek sales have been mediocre not great but moving slowly. Not sure if another set is possible, but it has not been ruled out.

Obviously, that's not very reassuring. I feel for you Trek fans, that had the line come back from the dead only to see it go belly up again. Personally, I think the line was doomed from the moment the lineups were announced. I understand the thinking, doing the captains and various aliens, but it never made any sense to me to release sets from Voyager or Enterprise right out of the gate. They may be the main characters, but main characters from minor shows are still from minor shows.

I think DST has greatly misjudged the continued popularity of Next Generation. For a lot of people, that IS Star Trek, and there are many, many fans of that show that never watched the original series (or watched the subsequent series). Next Gen ran for-- what, eleven years? And had four movies? And is still on in syndication all over cable? And we've gotten as many crew members from that cast as we have Enterprise? And one less then Voyager? Ridiculous.

If I were planning the Star Trek revival, I would have had a split of sets from the Original Series and Next Gen. Stay away from the movies, stay away from the spinoffs. Get the two most popular, most recognizable crews out there, with some aliens. Then, if that does well enough, move on to the other shows. But at least you led off with your best.

I still think a ST:NG box set with, say, Geordi, Riker, Data and Worf would do pretty well. But I suspect that we have, finally, seen the last ST Minimates.

I did notice that answer. I think narrowing the focus might help, but I'm not confident at this point that there is an assortment that would sell the way DST needs for it to be successful. A TNG wave or boxset might have a better chance at succeeding than most of the other options though. Cutting out at least Enterprise would be a good idea; I consider myself a pretty big fan and I couldn't bring myself to spend money on that set. Maybe that's just me, but I doubt it.

I understand the thinking, doing the captains and various aliens, but it never made any sense to me to release sets from Voyager or Enterprise right out of the gate. They may be the main characters, but main characters from minor shows are still from minor shows.

Yet my TRU is littered with Kirk and Picard sets. All of the Sisko and Janeway sets were gone a long time ago.

I think balance is key given the fractured nature of the fandom. That and there needs to be a sense of good faith between DST and consumers that the manufacturer plans to finish a bridge crew. If the cross-promotional insert at least said "Series 2 Coming in 2014!" and maybe listed the intended figures, I'm sure there'd be more ethusiasm among people who actually do want this stuff.

I know DST wants Trek to fit into the 2-pack paradigm but maybe this property is better off being sold as episode-specific 4-packs in the specialty market, maybe as exclusives to e-tailers like AFX or EE or maybe just through Previews.

There's as many Sisko sets around here as anything else; there's even a few Janeway sets.

I'm not sure episode specific boxsets would do much better, at least if they actually kept them specific to a particular episode. Even a popular episode would potentially leave you with an unimportant character: "The Best of Both Worlds" for example would need to be something like Locutus, Riker, Shelby, and one other major crew member if you were going to accurately reflect the episode, but I don't think anyone really considers Shelby a big want. And that episode is probably the best case scenario, most others I can think of would have less desirable variants and episode specific characters. Maybe it would work, but I don't think you could squeeze to many sets out of it.

Based on Star Treks last 5-Pack they put out, I don't think they would do very well at all. I know the Mirror Universe set was a peg warmer at many online shops as well as every Comic shop within a 100 mile radius of me...

• 2 weeks later...

Every area is different when it comes to what sells best. In my area Janeway is gone, the other three are still sitting there with varying amounts. I want to say Sisko is the most abundant but I could be wrong (I haven't counted)

As much as I don't really like it, I think they probably need to stick to the mix they have for waves. I'd love nothing more than for each wave to focus on a certain show, but you run the risk of what happened with Star Wars lines (Vintage Phantom Menace) in that you hit that one show that most people don't care about and now you have a whole wave not selling much. At least with the mix assortment, you may have one show's pack sell really well in one area and another sells just as well somewhere else.

The Janeway sets sold well, but they were shortpacked, and they include the INFINITELY more popular Seven of Nine. If Janeway was packed with, I dunno, that hologram doctor, does anybody think they would have sold that well?

Edited by hellpop