UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

I love your ideas, Matty-Lad! Only, for TOS, instead of Dr M'Benga, I'd much prefer a TOS Romulan! As an army builder, packed with Scotty to make army builder red-shirts, I'd buy cases of just that one pack!

So, if we only got one last wave, I'd plan it to make customizing the unfinished characters easier:

Specialty:

TNG: Worf & Troi TV classic uniforms

DS9: O'Brien & Dax

TOS: Scotty (extra dress uniform torso) & Romulan

VOY: Torres & EMH

TRU:

TNG: Data & Geordi TV Classic Uniforms

DS9: Odo & Quark

ENT: T'Pol & Phlox.

Movies: ST3 Kirk & Kruge to get us a classic movie Klingon body for custom army building!

BONUS Specialty 4-pack

Best of Both Worlds

Riker

Locutus

Dr Crusher

Lt Shelby (with extra head for Ensign Ro)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love your ideas, Matty-Lad! Only, for TOS, instead of Dr M'Benga, I'd much prefer a TOS Romulan! As an army builder, packed with Scotty to make army builder red-shirts, I'd buy cases of just that one pack!

So, if we only got one last wave, I'd plan it to make customizing the unfinished characters easier:

Specialty:

TNG: Worf & Troi TV classic uniforms

DS9: O'Brien & Dax

TOS: Scotty (extra dress uniform torso) & Romulan

VOY: Torres & EMH

TRU:

TNG: Data & Geordi TV Classic Uniforms

DS9: Odo & Quark

ENT: T'Pol & Phlox.

Movies: ST3 Kirk & Kruge to get us a classic movie Klingon body for custom army building!

BONUS Specialty 4-pack

Best of Both Worlds

Riker

Locutus

Dr Crusher

Lt Shelby (with extra head for Ensign Ro)

Right back at ya with these. My only concern would be that Data and Geordi are both in their yellow uniform so would look a little boring. How about mixing it up with a Riker figure and a Geordi head / hands? That way you could have red uniform Data, Geordi or Thomas Riker in 1 set. The customizing potential there would be great.

Take care,

Matty-lad

I put Riker in the bonus 4-pack :) I figured we had more than enough red torso already available with both Picards.

I'd totally be down with your suggestion of Data with extra head & hands to make Geordi, but DST doesn't want to do that. But if it WERE possible, then I'd keep Riker in the 4-pack and pack the interchangeable Data/Geordi with a TNG Romulan!

Sigh. I love wishlisting, but if we don't get a confirmation by NYCC in October for wave 2, I'll be a sad panda. Actually, if we don't get wave 2, we'll likely have to wait until 2016 for the 50th anniversary of Trek, or a new TV show for minimates to happen again. :(

My only concern would be that Data and Geordi are both in their yellow uniform so would look a little boring. How about mixing it up with a Riker figure and a Geordi head / hands? That way you could have red uniform Data, Geordi or Thomas Riker in 1 set. The customizing potential there would be great.

How about either Data or Geordi in their First Contact uniform? Buy two packs, switch the parts around and now you have them in both TV and movie uniforms.

Edited by Big Ape

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Chuck in the newest Q&A:

"Right now we’re in a wait and see for the Trek Minimates it’s possible we could make more but if we did it would be more like what you saw in the Legacy wave – a mix of licenses."

This is two or three Q&A's now where we are still in "wait and see" mode for the future of Star Trek Minimates....and from what I have seen first hand regarding available stock at TRU stores, I don't have the warm-fuzzies about this line continuing.

I'm a glass half-full kinda guy when it comes to this. Anytime I see a Q&A where Chuck doesn't say "Trek is dead," I still hold hope.

The ships seem to be doing well and the role play toys are prop quality. Not sure how Trek Select is doing given the limited poseability but the Legacy line of Minimates should have a lot of appeal, at least to that niche of a niche market (Trekkies who collect block figures).

I expect pre-orders for Pike's Enterprise to be weak if only because of the timing. I've purchased two (Tribbles and ISS) and will buy Pike's but would have preferred a little more time between releases.

I'd be all over a shuttlecraft. Still.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see TRU jumping at the chance to stock more Star Trek product given that the films, while popular at the box office, haven't managed to relaunch merchandising. I'm not sure how Kre-O is doing but Fighter Pods prices keep dropping without moving much product.

DST's product seems to be moving though. Tribbles sold out at two stores locally as have the role play and Select figures. The only thing lingering is a peg filled with Minimates but my stores have seen two or three cases each. I'm not sure if that's enough to justify moving forward (for TRU or DST) but they seem to be doing a lot better than Hasbro's offerings.

I'm hopeful the Minimates line can continue as 4-packs at the very least, offered through Previews and interested e-tailers.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see TRU jumping at the chance to stock more Star Trek product given that the films, while popular at the box office, haven't managed to relaunch merchandising. I'm not sure how Kre-O is doing but Fighter Pods prices keep dropping without moving much product.

DST's product seems to be moving though. Tribbles sold out at two stores locally as have the role play and Select figures. The only thing lingering is a peg filled with Minimates but my stores have seen two or three cases each. I'm not sure if that's enough to justify moving forward (for TRU or DST) but they seem to be doing a lot better than Hasbro's offerings.

I'm hopeful the Minimates line can continue as 4-packs at the very least, offered through Previews and interested e-tailers.

There's a reason for that. Fighter pods are tiny adorable pieces of s**t. Minimates are not. But I understand TRU's position.

From Chuck in the newest Q&A:

"Right now we’re in a wait and see for the Trek Minimates it’s possible we could make more but if we did it would be more like what you saw in the Legacy wave – a mix of licenses."

This is two or three Q&A's now where we are still in "wait and see" mode for the future of Star Trek Minimates....and from what I have seen first hand regarding available stock at TRU stores, I don't have the warm-fuzzies about this line continuing.

Of the Minimates that I'm seeing on the shelves, the newer product like Voyager has been wiped out. It's all the re-hash product that is sitting on the pegs. Though the ST assortment was new, the individual characters weren't exactly fresh

Exactly. It's not like DST is hurting for licensed Minimates properties.

Tomb Raider knocked it out of the park in terms of overall execution. That's the Line of the Year as far as I'm concerned and I've never played the game.

Marvel seems to be as strong as ever, with a decent mix of movie and comic book properties.

Walking Dead is still hot based on what I've seen – or rather haven't seen – at retail.

Aliens is going to be huge. Does anyone really believe otherwise?

With Invincible, Sin City, Pulp Fiction, View Askew, and even Lost is Space, even with TRU's commitment to more Trek 'mates, I'd be surprised if we got more than two series a year.

Like I said, I'd be happy with 4-packs that allow for quick customs of alternate characters and army builders.

I think the fear, or at least my fear, is that if DST waits too long, emphasis on the "too," between waves, there may be a presumed need to release more captains to move packs because the minor (non-Captains/Spock) characters cannot support a line/wave on there own. A sooner second release, while a few captains can still be found, would allow for a wave of completely new-to-legacy characters.

What's the rush? Our license isn't going anywhere that I know of.

I'm seeing more of a "strike while the iron is hot" scenario.

I think the fear, or at least my fear, is that if DST waits too long, emphasis on the "too," between waves, there may be a presumed need to release more captains to move packs because the minor (non-Captains/Spock) characters cannot support a line/wave on there own. A sooner second release, while a few captains can still be found, would allow for a wave of completely new-to-legacy characters.

This, right here! :)

Of the Minimates that I'm seeing on the shelves, the newer product like Voyager has been wiped out. It's all the re-hash product that is sitting on the pegs. Though the ST assortment was new, the individual characters weren't exactly fresh

The Voyager set was also short-packed with a TRU exclusive sticker on the front, which could also help explain a possibly inflated 'demand' for that set over the others. I still see quite a few "church lady" Sevens on the pegs though.

I agree with DST that the more well known characters are the ones that are most likely to sell to the casual buyer at TRU, but I wonder if the Movie Kirk/Khan pack would have worked better at TRU instead of the tv versions.

I'm not seeing a particularly hot iron.

Like I said earlier, the movie hasn't done anything to rejuvenate merchandising from what I can see. That iron is cold. Kids haven't jumped on board en masse and older Trekkies are split.

The pre-Abrams "Prime" Trek seems to be doing better for some reason, but that iron's a little warmer than room temperature. Maybe it's because of reruns in syndication (the classic Trek success story) but whatever it is, I'm not seeing a sudden spike in interest when it comes to the property.

I get the feeling DST is taking its time and figuring out exactly how to offer the next series of Minimates so that collectors will be encouraged to buy multiple sets to help fill out their ranks. They've already gotten some pretty viable suggestions here and have demonstrated a willingness to offer such products in the Marvel line. If they put together just the right series or 4-pack, it could be even more successful than the first Legacy offering.

Long story short; I'd rather they take their time and do it right than rush something out that could have been so much better.

Taking time to do it right is one thing. Giving no indication that's what's happening is another. Instead of saying that another series is in the works, we're told it's "possible" which is just slightly better than being told "no".

DST makes an excellent product and I'm glad to support them. It's just frustrating because I really enjoy Trek Minimates and to see them come back for maybe one series with possibly no serious gains on new characters is aggravating.