UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

A Trek line that focuses exclusively on TOS is like a Star Wars line that focuses exclusively on "A New Hope." Yeah, that's the one that started it all but there are fans of later incarnations as well. Not to to mention the fact that Abrams' movie blurs the line regarding TOS. (Same characters, different actors, alternate universe.)

Trek should be treated like Marvel. In a movie year, feel free to push a series that ties in to the release. In a non-movie year, look for other things to complement, like TNG's anniversary! Give us variety because "us" represents very few Trekkies who ONLY collect TOS. Some of us collect Trek from ALL eras but from what I've seen most collect from their favorite era and that now runs quite a gamut.

But yeah. Nazis and Tommy guns and Sulu!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the likelyhood of this idea is probably remote but hypothetically- If we were to get the crew in their regular uniforms (something I wouldn't be adverse to as I'm missing a few), would it be more palatable if they came packaged with sections of the bridge such as Uhura with the communications console or Sulu with the Nav/Helm console and so forth?

Edited by Aethyr

Perhaps we'll get a multi-level focused rollout, where once TOS is fairly exhausted,

I agree with you on most points, but not this one. (IMO) what killed Trek before was the third wave was TOS being fairly exhausted. By the time the focus was shifted to non TOS, retailers were drowning in wave 3. You mix that with the scattered focus of waves 4 & 5 and Trek burnt out. I'd rather see two waves of some TOS variety, then maybe 2 of TNG, then 2 DS9, etc. Then when that runs it's course, you could always go back to characters that were missed. Just a thought.

I agree as well, but since this is DST's choice, we haven't much say in the matter. I found it frustrating originally to be getting only one TNG set per wave, one DS9, which at that rate would take forever to gain the main crews. That's why I want a focused approach, not because I want only TOS.

As for wave 3, I think it's failure was not because it was TOS, but for the character selection. Every pack had not only a Kirk & Spock, but they were very, very visually similar to the ones we had just bought in waves 1 & 2. The Grey Kirk with Klingon was a great set. The Dress Uniform versions were too similar and people probably didn't want to buy a minor chest deco variation. Not to mention this wave was also pretty heavily ordered by retailers. Plus, having TWO Kirks in one wave is just too much. I liked the variant Spock, but maybe they should have switched and made Dress Uniform the chase instead (it worked for McCoy)

But for the other waves, I think they failed because they went too broad in their selection. Who wants *just* Picard without Data, Worf, Riker, etc? All in one wave would sell much better I think.

Wave 3's selection of Kor, Khan and Sarek was pretty good. But 2 Kirks was too much. I would probably have bumped either Khan or Sarek to another wave and replaced them with another alien. Getting that Klingon was very important though. And I would have replaced Dress Uniform Kirk with another bridge crew member like maybe McCoy in Tholian Web space suit (visually different)

I think you could get away with each initial series representing the bridge crews with a variant or army-builder thrown in.

Picard/Dr. Crusher

Riker/Troi

Geordi/Data

Worf/Lore

Something like that. Being able to collect an entire crew at once is pretty attractive to collectors, especially ones who are leary of waiting for subsequent waves to finish teams/crews.

I think you could get away with each initial series representing the bridge crews with a variant or army-builder thrown in.

Picard/Dr. Crusher

Riker/Troi

Geordi/Data

Worf/Lore

Something like that. Being able to collect an entire crew at once is pretty attractive to collectors, especially ones who are leary of waiting for subsequent waves to finish teams/crews.

Remember the original line, there were 3 sets each wave instead of 4, with a fourth pack that had a variant?

I hope they stick to the new standard of 4 sets, as you listed, with the 4th set having a variant. Also, every Star Trek line has divided up the bridge crew into waves and I'd be okay with the main crew split over 2 waves as long as they get released.

I would avoid having Bridge crew variants that were similar enough costume changes like Dress Uniforms or Season 1 variants. These are too similar, and at the 2" scale aren't easily discernable. My preferred lineup would be:

Wave 1:

Picard (Duty Uniform) & Dr Crusher with lab coat

Geordi & Data

Worf & Guinan

Romulan Warrior & Sela (variant Romulan Commander)

Wave 2:

Riker & Troi

Picard as Locutus & Q (Judges Robes), (Q in Starfleet uniform for variant)

Tasha Yar & Wesley Crusher

Lore & Pakled

Wave 3:

Ensign Ro & Cardassian

Fish Headed Alien & Dr Pulaski (variant Traveller?)

Picard and Data as Romulans

Wild West Sherrif Worf & Troi

For future waves, since we need different versions of Bridge crew, use All Good Things, the Robin Hood costumes, Sherlock Holmes & Watson, Time's Arrow, different Holodeck costumes like Dixon Hill, etc. Keep an army-builder alien with the variant figure like Marvel does. No major fan-requested character as a variant (Locutus should be easily available! Q in judge robes regular d/t sculpting, Starfleet uniform Q is an easy quick-custom for those who can't find one if they have a judge Q, plus you want to try to limit too many of the same color duty uniforms in one set between characters.

I don't want them to be forced to "theme" each pack, so we can get more characters, like Darmok packed with Vash if need be. Just because they weren't in the same episode together, we already have Duty Jacket Picard. Besides, they're both friends of Picard :)

But give us the most iconic version of each main character, like Wesley in red uniform, Worf in yellow, Riker with beard, etc. Don't waste a slot on beardless Riker or other Season 1 & 2 characters, give us the new sculpts & decos as I mentioned above.

Picard/Dr. Crusher

Riker/Troi

Geordi/Data

Worf/Lore

Since Picard was already released you could do a set of 4 two-packs in the following arrangement:

1) Riker & Troi

2) Dr. Crusher & Worf

3) LaForge & Data

4) The Variant Set could be either Troi in a different costume with a Beardless Riker or Wesley Crusher & Lore, or they could do Picard in his Captain's Jacket with Dr. Crusher in her lab coat.

(JMO: I feel the "Variant" set should be two different mates and not a repeat mate with a new one. My examples are Sarek with Dress Uniform Spock & with Spock's Brain Spock or Scotty with Dr. McCoy & Dress Uniform McCoy, or Admiral Kirk with Duty Uniform Scott & Dress Uniform Scott or Chekov with Sulu & Swashbuckling Sulu: I did not really want two Sareks, two Chekovs, two Scottys or two Admiral Kirks at the time. The Gul Dukat with the Sisko variants was nice because the head of Dukat has two faces on it so you can make two different Cardassians so I am okay with that one.)

Then with Deep Space Nine you have two options, go with Commander Sisko or Captain Sisko.

If you go with Capatin Sisko:

1) Jadzia Dax & Chief O'Brien

2) Worf & Kira

3) Quark & Dr. Bashir

4) The Variant Set could be Ezri Dax & Odo, or Garek & Leeta.

Could do a box set then of Yates, Jake Sisko, Starfleet Officer Nog, Morn and Rom.

An Exclusive two-pack could be Worf and Jadzia in their wedding attire.

If you go with Commander Sisko:

1) Chief O'Brien & Kira

2) Dr. Bashir & Jadzia Dax

3) Jake Sisko & Nog

4) The Variant Set could be Kai Winn & Vedek Barial.

Could do a box set of Mirror Universe costumed "Smiley" O'Brien, Commander Sisko, Regent Worf, Intendent Kira and Garek.

Then if you go with Commander Sisko for the Deep Space Nine you can easily make Voyager mates:

1) Captain Janeway & Lt. Paris

2) Chakotay & B'Ellana

3) Kim & Neelix

4) The Variant Set could be the Tuvok & Kes

Then a box set could be made for EMH (The Doctor), Seven of Nine, Maquis Chakotay, Vidiian & Kazon.

Then there could be an exclusive set of the Borg Queen & the Borgified Seven of Nine or a Borg version of Janeway, B'Ellana or Tuvok.

Then we would get charaters that have been overlooked and go with the three not TOS characters that have been made.

While I made customs for TNG and a few for DS9 and Voyager, I would get the officially released mates as soon as they are available.

I only hope that the interest will be there to keep the Star Trek Minimate Line Going once it is reborn!!!!!

Edited by Captain Paco

(JMO: I feel the "Variant" set should be two different mates and not a repeat mate with a new one. My examples are Sarek with Dress Uniform Spock & with Spock's Brain Spock or Scotty with Dr. McCoy & Dress Uniform McCoy, or Admiral Kirk with Duty Uniform Scott & Dress Uniform Scott or Chekov with Sulu & Swashbuckling Sulu: I did not really want two Sareks, two Chekovs, two Scottys or two Admiral Kirks at the time. The Gul Dukat with the Sisko variants was nice because the head of Dukat has two faces on it so you can make two different Cardassians so I am okay with that one.)

Follow Marvel's line and have a variant with an army-builder. The Sisko/Dukat pack was the perfect example of this. (I won't complain about the Kirk & Scotty packs because that's how I army-built enough of those to make a full custom bridge crew!)

From my previous example, have a Romulan Soldier with either Sela or variant Romulan Commander. Then you have two Romulan soldiers, Sela and a commander for a mini Romulan Army already!

Use Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Ferengi, Cardassians, Fish-Headed aliens, etc as the army builders.

How about a character and a variant packed with Gowron, then Gowron has a second face on the back to be Duras or a generic Klingon Warrior?

But yes, DST needs to reevaluate where they went wrong (and right) with wave 3. Nobody wants to be forced to buy 2 Sareks to get a full set (and I loved that Spock's Brain variant! Bad episode, cool minimate!) And it's a shame Kor didn't have an alternate face on the back. Pack it with a second 2-sided face and you could have had Kang, Kor and Koloth with a generic officer to boot! Plus extra Bread & Circus bodies to customize with Spock & McCoy heads, as many of us did after the line died.

Edited by monkeycrumb

I don't want them to be forced to "theme" each pack, so we can get more characters, like Darmok packed with Vash if need be. Just because they weren't in the same episode together, we already have Duty Jacket Picard. Besides, they're both friends of Picard :)

We got a Picard in his duty uniform already. We did NOT get Picard in his captain's jacket yet.

We must have been typing at the same time when I posted my last message. I like some of what you mentioned for sets if future waves. However, I would do a wave of TNG then a wave of DS9 then come back or do a wave of Voyager then comeback to TNG. This way you get all the collectors that focus on a specific show covered. I would even like to see a wave of Enterprise characters come out soon as well.

Enterprise Wave could be:

1) Captain Archer & Hoshi

2) T'Pol & Trip Tucker

3) Mayweather & Reed

4) Phlox & Daniels

5) MACO Leader & MACO Officer

6) Environmental Suit Archer & Tucker

7) Environmental Suit T'Pol & Reed

8) Shran & Admiral Forrest

I'd want to avoid releasing the same show in consecutive series. I'd want to hook as many different collecting Trekkies as possible so I'd prefer:

Series 1 TNG

Series 2 DS9

Series 3 VOY

Series 4 ENT

Series 5 TOS

Series 6 TNG

...and so on.

I know TNG is arguably the most popular incarnation and probably demands a little more attention but I don't want to alienate collectors of other shows. That's where exclusives and boxed sets come in. I have no problem seeing a couple TRU exclusive 2-packs that complement a TNG series or a 4-pack dedicated to unique characters from the animated series or movies or specific episodes.

Of course this release pattern should be adjusted based on sales but I'd want to ensure the main cast of each show is represented.

I'd want to avoid releasing the same show in consecutive series. I'd want to hook as many different collecting Trekkies as possible so I'd prefer:

Series 1 TNG

Series 2 DS9

Series 3 VOY

Series 4 ENT

Series 5 TOS

Series 6 TNG

...and so on.

I know TNG is arguably the most popular incarnation and probably demands a little more attention but I don't want to alienate collectors of other shows. That's where exclusives and boxed sets come in. I have no problem seeing a couple TRU exclusive 2-packs that complement a TNG series or a 4-pack dedicated to unique characters from the animated series or movies or specific episodes.

Of course this release pattern should be adjusted based on sales but I'd want to ensure the main cast of each show is represented.

But by that logic, you'd alienate those who only like specific shows and don't want to wait a year for the next wave of their show. In that event, you might as well mix waves.

This is the quandry DST will face if they ever do bring back Trek to include all forms of it. I know you mention 4-packs and TRU 2-packs, BUT is the retailer support there for it? They are struggling to get back a regular line, I wouldn't get too far ahead by planning extra releases. If it were to happen that would make me a very happy Trek fan.

TOS is the biggest seller, but TNG isn't far behind. They are the ones to get the retailers pumped. I love DS9 and I would buy multiples of every DS9 Mate made, but I know it's not the most popular series. Voyager's more popular than DS9, and I really dislike Voyager.

From a sales perspective (i.e. what's gonna have the biggest chance at keeping this line around a long time at retail), I would probably do something like this:

Wave 1 TOS

Wave 2 TNG

Wave 3 mix of DS9, VOY & ENT with 4th pack either TOS or DS9

Then repeat. Maybe mix TOS & TNG together further down the road, but keep the selection strong. Toss in a movie pack here & there.

As much as I love DS9, I'm not sure they can carry a full wave at retail. I don't think ENT could. I'm not sure about Voyager. Mixing them is the way to go. TNG will be getting plenty of media support with their new Blu Ray season sets, so full sets of TNG should do very well. TOS, well, I've covered that enough in recent posts.

But remember how wave 1 & 2 did, with 2 main crew members in most packs? That's the way to start. Nobody really cares for STTMP, so Decker & Ilyia were not the wiseist choices to do so early in the run.

The Gul Dukat with the Sisko variants was nice because the head of Dukat has two faces on it so you can make two different Cardassians so I am okay with that one.)

All this time and I never knew that...

I'd love to see some sort of episode specific 4-packs as the model. Imagine it this way:

TNG

• "Encounter at Farpoint" - Picard, Riker(beardless), Adm. McCoy, Q
  • "DataLore" - Data, Lore, Dr. Soong, Wesley
  • "QPid" - SDCC exclusive - Picard, Vash, Q, Worf - all in Robin Hood attire
  • Best of Both Worlds" - Borg Drone, Locutus, Riker, Shelby

DS9

• "The Nagus" - Quark, Nog, Nagus, Rom
  • "Trials and Tribblations" - SDCC - Sisko, Dax, OBrien, Bashir - all TOS uniforms

These are just a few ideas, all of them, plus Voyager, Enterprise, movies - all have endless combinations and variations that would work in episode specific box sets. It would keep the line fresh, add in secondary characters that might not get made otherwise, unique ideas for con exclusives, and keep all generations of fans happy.

Throw in a dump assortment based around a wartime episode with troop builders (Borg, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Jem hadar, with some cool exclusive like… Borg Queen or Changeling.

I guess I'd love Trek to return, but only all encompassing and all in.

But by that logic, you'd alienate those who only like specific shows and don't want to wait a year for the next wave of their show. In that event, you might as well mix waves.

I get what you're saying but I'm trying to avoid the same problem that's plagued every Trek line since Art Asylum got the license; lack of consumer confidence that collectors will never get something as basic as a complete bridge crew.

It's a catch-22. Collectors don't want to invest in part of a line if they don't think it'll be completed and manufactirers can't complete a line if collectors don't buy into it.

I recall the conversation on AA's original message board. Collectors LOVED the idea of Deluxe sets that came with different sections of the Enterprise bridge. However, many didn't want to buy into it unless they were confident they'd eventually get the entire bridge. AA practically begged collectors to snatch them up, saying that if the line DIDN'T perform well enough, retailers wouldn't order the second wave. Which is exactly what happened.

For what it's worth, AA wanted to ship even cases of all four Deluxe figures but it was nervous retailers who wanted the assortments changed to favor more Captain Archer figures. So instead of being able to buy all four at once, collectors were forced to gamble by buying two first and hoping that enough would sell to justify the continuation of the line later. But thanks to the erosion of consumer confidence, the first wave underperformed and the second was cancelled. Talk about your self-fulfilling prophecies.

The same thing happened with Playmates last Star Trek line. They offered figures with bridge components but Trek collectors recalling the last Enterprise debacle were even more gunshy and balked at buying the first wave until the second was solicited. Retailers bought FAR too much of the first wave and figures are still lingering at TRU almost four years later.

(I'm sure you know this already but I just wanted to post it for posterity. Sorry if it comes off as condescending but that's not my intent.)

I want to boost consumer confidence, at least for that first year. TOS collectors should be pretty satisfied for now so we'll start with TNG, which when you think about it encompasses the entire 24th century era. You've also got the benefit of crossover characters like Worf and O'Brien and Q but I want to encourage collectors to buy into this line by showing them that they CAN get the main characters – in the same uniforms – all at once.

Thanks for the AA Enterprise line info. I wasn't on the AA boards back in the day so I wasn't aware of the concensus at the time. I was not enjoying Enterprise and didn't buy the figures. It's nice talking Trek again with someone knowledgeable!

You're right. Trek is a huge catch-22. The only reason I wanted the focused line is to get completed or thorough releases. I would love to see 3-4 waves dedicated to each series, followed by an ongoing mixture for stragglers :)

3-4 waves of TOS, followed by 3-4 waves of TNG, etc, etc, then after they reach ENT then waves composed of TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT, and TOS either TV or movie.

This way, we get completed crews and major associated characters. Then, after a few waves it's like an entire refresh, which retailers love. Like Universal Monsters, where after Wolfman is done you move on to Dracula.

One thing that really bothers me. I was there for the 25th Anniversary of TOS. Now that it's the 25th Anniversary for TNG, it's not getting anywhere near the love that TOS got back then. I'm sure if we had Trek on TV now, it'd be a different matter. But it's sad that retailers aren't jumping on the nostalgia train with TNG, especially with the current marketing campaign for the Blu Rays. It feels like a missed opportunity.

Interesting though, how we might get TOS back to piggyback onto the next JJ Abrams movie release. I just hope the next Trek movie's merchandise doesn't sour the waters like the last one did. Not only did stores over-order on that Playmates stuff, but the toys themselves sucked. Even I couldn't bring myself to buy that junk, and I loved the movie!

Our only hope is that the return of Trek minimates is well received, and that the next movie doesn't flood the marketplace. I'm sure the retailers will be more cautious, but sadly that still extends to their orders on even TOS minimates.

I hope DST takes a very hard, long look at their previous Trek line. I understand they need to have the basic uniform look for collectors who are new to the line. But if I see a repeat of Kirk, Spock or McCoy in dress uniform, I'll be pissed.

But at this point, I'm eager to get almost any Trek minimates at retail.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've gone almost completely through the STTNG Season 1 Blu Ray. I wasn't planning on getting it but at $60 on Amazon I'm glad I did.

Now, even more than before, I want STTNG minimates!!! Plus I'm craving the remaining seasons 2-7, and the next few years is going to go too slowly for my tastes while waiting for them.

For anyone with the Blu Ray, be sure to select the "play episode with promo" selection. It has the trailer for the episode just before it starts, and the trailer is original quality standard definition. It shows just how much work they have done on the restoration to watch the HD episode right after the crappy SD promo.

WOW! I never thought I'd own season 1 on any format. I'm actually really pleased with it.

I still don't want minimates of the main crew in their season 1 uniforms except Tasha Yar, but I do want most of the aliens. Give me the crew from seasons 3 and above.

Man, it feels like such a wasted opportunity NOT to have STTNG minimates. Especially knowing DST actually has the license. I wish the retailers would take a chance again on STTNG.

There's definitely a TON of material from TNG alone to sustain a Trek line for years. We need to be pestering TRU for more Trek stuff.

Here's a link that may come in useful for such purposes.

I'm planning on telling them that I'm a big fan of Minimates and would love to see more based on The Next Generation. I might even let them know why I like Minimates so much. Either way if we only tell DST, we're only preaching to the choir. TRU needs to read it from their own consumer base.

I'll add in that I'd also like to see TNG mates. As far as any variant set goes, I'd like it to be similar to the Admiral Kirk/Scotty variant set. Give us two characters in typical uniforms (Say a Data and a beardless Riker) then you can make the variant a bearded Riker. Now we'll also have a spare Data who can be any other engineer with a simple head swap. As long as both bodies in the regular and variant set are typical Star Fleet uniforms, you can make most any character that may not sell at retail.

As much as I'm looking forward to the licenses for walking dead, battle beasts & thundercats, I'd trade them all in for a ST:TNG line without even taking a breath to consider it.

Amen!

If I were given a choice between DC and STTNG mates, I'd pick STTNG without hesitation, AND give up all the lines you mentioned!

I love TNG but that's later on, it'd have to be. For now, I'm happy Trek is back but I'm wondering if we'll get new line to go with the ship.

And I'm all for another Kirk, he SHOULD be updated. I hope they keep this to a few waves though, pump out the important stuff then move to TNG. It seems to hit that demographic of collectors a little better.

• 1 month later...

I pre-ordered my Enterprise months ago from BBTS, but I plan on buying upward of 5 to 10 Enterprises when they hit my TRU (if they even make it here, my TRU is bad with Minimates inventory, we never get anything, and if we do it's only 1 case). I plan on doing some hack and slash conversions to make them into ships from the "Starfleet Technical Manual", like the Saladin, Hermes, or Ptolemy class ships. My goal is to eventually put together enough TOS Minimates to do plenty of custom figures, and put together a bi-weekly comic strip. But I'm always happy to see TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT Minimates for new stories and temporal mishaps...

In the entire 5 pages of discussion I was kinda sad that there were a few fan favorite characters left out of the discussion that would make excellent filler for two packs with major players in the Star Trek game. I mean if everyones suggesting people like Lore or the Grand Negis, why not characters like Commander Barkley, Andy Dicks EMH, Lt. Daniels, Random MACO's, or the most under rated character of DS9 Ezri Dax. Hell you could do an Ezri variant with the cool sniper rifle and eye piece from DS9 episode "Field Of Fire".