UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

I'm really hoping they return for the anniversary of TNG. it would be the perfect way to bring them back and it could focus on a different crew instead of TOS. don't get me wrong, there are plenty of TOS characters and variants I'd love to see but for a successful comeback it needs to not alienate those of us who already have the first run. There will be opportunities to get TOS crew out there for those that need them if Trek mates can make a triumphant return :)

For a successful comeback, retailers need to order it! :biggrin: If the Enterprise does well, we'll see how we follow it up.

I am convinced retailers would be on board for a 25th Anniv. TNG box set. With a new Trek movie coming out this would be a great excuse to tap into the nostalgia of the 90s.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid that a big part of why retailers WON'T order DST's Trek will be due to how poorly Playmates Toys' last line performed. I know Hasbro has the mass market license for the next movie but I've no idea what the scope of their agreement entails. For all I know they're only offering Mr. Potato Head figures as Trek characters.

I agree with others that a successful Trek line has to include other incarnations of the property, from TNG and DS9 to VOY and ENT. The new film did nothing to diminish interest in all things Trek where end consumers are concerned. I'd like to see a future Minimates line offer more variety. After all, Marvel Minimates isn't "All Spidey, all the time."

Retailers seem to think there is only one Star Trek. They need to diversify and focus on STTNG for their 25th anniversary.

Did you know that STTNG is older now than STTOS was when STTNG debuted? (1987 STTOS = 21yrs old, 2012 STTNG = 25yrs old)

I would have liked to see Scotty included with the Enterprise; however, I am going to get one just for displaying purposes only and I will pop the command chair out and have Kirk in it.

I would like to see them do Enterprise-D with Captain Picard in is captain's jacket in minimate form to help with the 25th anniversary of TNG. Then they could do the Defiant with Commander Worf for DS9 and then Voyager with Janeway. Also then Enterprise NX01 could be made with Archer. They would sell them and they would have figures not already flooding the market.

Then they could do boxed sets of other characters from each show. The boxed sets could be themed other than just by show. Could have Engineer Set to have LaForge, O'Brien, Torres and Tucker; the First Officer Set to have Riker, Kira, Chakotay, and T'Pol; the Medical Officer set to have Dr. Crusher, Dr. Bashir, The EMH and Phlox. and so forth. They would sell because we would all be out looking to complete the crews for each series.

Also, we know they made a prototype of the TOS Shuttle, they could then release that with Battle-ravaged Spock, then they could make a shuttle from TNG with Data or LaForge, then a Runabout from DS9 with Jadzia Dax and then the Delta Flyer with Tuvok or Torres.

There are lots of possibilities they could do that would not have to be Kirk and Spock that would helpt them sell if they would listen to our requests. I only had one thing that included a Spock but they had teased us with him before and took him away so we deserve that one.

JMO, Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god, this is gonna happen, do well then DST will start doing trek mate 2-packs again and we'll get TNG mates!!

Luke you going to be getting the Enterprise?

So, I'm really dying to see what the AFX SDCC exclusive is. 80's property? STTNG maybe??

oohhhhhhh! :) i didn't even think of that.

I'm just not sure where I should buy this. Should I support my local comic shop or make sure TRU knows that there's still demand for Trek Minimates?

Any chance we could get a better image of that Kirk figure? I'd like to compare it to past releases.

I'm just not sure where I should buy this. Should I support my local comic shop or make sure TRU knows that there's still demand for Trek Minimates?

Any chance we could get a better image of that Kirk figure? I'd like to compare it to past releases.

From getting the image and zooming in, I find the Kirk seems to be just a re-release of the Kirk from the Star Trek Wave 1 original release of the 2" size.

I don't care because I will be getting the Enterprise no matter what.

Hope this helps.

Crap! I forgot about TRU. I pre-ordered 2 from BBTS to show my support, but I'd prefer to buy these from TRU off the racks if I could. I don't *need* more than one, I want to buy 2 just to show my support. But I want TRU most importantly to see good sales numbers, since they have more buying power and are most likely to order exclusives.

From getting the image and zooming in, I find the Kirk seems to be just a re-release of the Kirk from the Star Trek Wave 1 original release of the 2" size.

That's what I'm afraid of. I have little interest in the ship (although I'll admit I like it better in these shots than previous ones) but I was hoping that we'd get a Kirk that was at least a little different from previous releases. Maybe DST just used an existing 'mate for solicitation photography and the end product will have some noticable difference. [fingers crossed]

Crap! I forgot about TRU. I pre-ordered 2 from BBTS to show my support, but I'd prefer to buy these from TRU off the racks if I could. I don't *need* more than one, I want to buy 2 just to show my support. But I want TRU most importantly to see good sales numbers, since they have more buying power and are most likely to order exclusives.

That's why I'm leaning toward TRU for this purchase. My LCS gets plenty of my disposable income as it is. TRU could be the lynchpin for this property's continued success.

Are the two releases going to be different? I don't recall if we know....

If DST really wants to impress me, they'll offer a variant with Commodore Decker aboard the battle-damaged USS Constellation from the episode "The Doomsday Machine." (How's THAT for wishful thinking?)

If DST really wants to impress me, they'll offer a variant with Commodore Decker aboard the battle-damaged USS Constellation from the episode "The Doomsday Machine." (How's THAT for wishful thinking?)

I am liking your suggestion. They could make it a sister ship the Enterprise and the Commodore Decker would give us a different insigna on the chest of the uniform. I would only purchase one of the variant ship. I would purchase two of the Enterprise, one of the Constellation (if made) and one of the Mirror Enterprise (if made). I would purchase 2 Enterprise-D ships if they were made and maybe they could make Picard in his captain's jacket instead of the standard re-release of the figure they made. I would even like to see if they are successful, Voyager and the Defiant and even NX-01 Enterprise.

Now I really hope they are successful.

The Trek universe is certainly vast but the challenge is finding what truly viable assets could be turned into merchandise. Launching a line like this with the Enterprise makes sense but getting relatively obscure variants like the Constellation is unlikely. Best case scenrio: If the 2-packs come back, DST finds a way to pack in labels with a Commodore Decker Minimate so the Enterprise can be modified into his ship. A Mirror Universe Enterprise would be a no-brainer if only because it's yet another opportunity to include a Kirk figure, even though it's one collectors like myself already have.

I hear Klingons are supposed to make an appearance in the next Trek flick. I wonder if DST has a Klingon ship waiting in the wings as a pseudo tie-in.

I hear Klingons are supposed to make an appearance in the next Trek flick. I wonder if DST has a Klingon ship waiting in the wings as a pseudo tie-in.

a Minimate Klingon Bird of Prey would be awesome! :thumbsup:

the only problem with waiting for the TRU release is that, sometimes product gets cancelled due to lack of preorders. This is how we lost out on Beverly Hills Cop and the Godfather. Granted, a big vehicle like the Enterprise more than likely won't be cancelled but I don't count on anything until it's in my hands. I don't remember hearing anything about there being a difference in the TRU release, but it would be great. Maybe a battle damaged version w/ Scotty.

The nice thing about the Enterprise is that with minor tweaking of the nacelles and deflector dish, the main body can also be used for the refit version from the movies.

If Trek minimates make a return, those of us who were on board for the original run are going to have to have some patience regarding re-releases. Most of the major looks for TOS have been done, but there are more that can be done. "A Piece of the Action" and "City on the Edge of Forever" Kirk and Spock for instance, a Romulan Kirk too. But for new customers to be able to get into the line we are going to see redo (which I will happily purchase to keep the line going) :biggrin: .

I've been sorting through some Trek 'mates today....ironically...by coincidence...blah de blah . I've never been a big fan of them but......there are...one or two I took a like to by the end of the exercise. I'll go as far as saying that some of the later stuff is excellent ,they got better & better but in all honesty they needed to.

The only set I ever went bonkers on & bought...er...a few was the Borg set .....I still love it .

My comment on this little ship thingy are quite simply ....it'll be a sell out.

Maybe we will get the long lost shuttlecraft if the Enterprise sells.

I like the idea of the labels coming with the figures in the 2-pack arrangement because it will get collectors to purchase the minimates and the vehicles.

I also like the idea to release a vehicle that ties in with the movie in some format because it will help sales.

Plus they could do a Borg Cube/Borg Sphere with the Borg Queen.

Yes, we, the loyal collectors, will likely see several minimates re-released.

The point was presented that there are still variations we have not seen.

I have worked on making customs of Kirk and Spock from "The City on the Edge of Forever".

But there are lots that could be done. I am for it if we can get the line reborn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hasbro just announced a Kre-O line based on JJ Abrams' upcoming Star Trek sequel:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hasbros-kreo-brand-to-unveil-new-star-trek-and-transformers-building-sets-at-comiccon/25253/

Their license includes minifigures "based on classic characters." Is this bad news for any hopes of future Trek Minimates?

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked on making customs of Kirk and Spock from "The City on the Edge of Forever".

"A Piece of the Action" variants could be fun, too. We've already got period double-breasted suits courtesy of Universal Monsters. We've also got passable fedoras from Rocky and BSG. There's some customizing potential there but there are plenty of variations that would make cool anchors for episode-themed waves. ("Patterns of Force" leaps to mind.)

So long as what they make stands out from what's already been done this will have a good shot of being successful. If you look at the Fantastic Four they're doing in wave 48, they've taken characters that really have one main look and have been done several times before and have transformed them into somnething eye catching. If the same formula is used for Trek, it can work.

"A Piece of the Action" variants could be fun, too. We've already got period double-breasted suits courtesy of Universal Monsters. We've also got passable fedoras from Rocky and BSG. There's some customizing potential there but there are plenty of variations that would make cool anchors for episode-themed waves. ("Patterns of Force" leaps to mind.)

Yep. I bought a few Wave 40 Howard Starks just to customize! But getting official minimate Tommy guns would bee awesome! And for Patterns of Force,how many would sell just to customize into Nazi's for Captain America to fight?!? I'd probably buy an entire case!

I'm interested to see our new Kirk since DST said he was redone, and I hope the Bridge chair is removable because it *needs* to be!

But this line does need more variety than we got before. Instead of similar looking duty-officer versions or The Cage variants, we need things like Gangster Kirk & Spock with Tommy guns, German uniformed versions of the big three, and don't forget the Tholian Web space suits! Eventually I'd like to see the remaining Mirror Mirror cast, but after the more visually different character variations are done. And while I'll only buy a small amt of Enterprises just to show my support, I would buy a FLEET of Shuttlecraft!

Plus, we need more aliens and supporting villains and cast. Harry Mudd, Salt Vampire, Space Abraham Lincoln (I'm serious!), etc, etc.

I really want TNG & DS9 minimates. I understand they want to focus on TOS for now. Perhaps we'll get a multi-level focused rollout, where once TOS is fairly exhausted, they'll move on to TOS Movies, TNG, DS9, etc, by focusing on only one category at a time. This might be the best way to do this. As long as every category gets it's focus, I'm happy.

But bring us Wrath of Khan minimates soon!!

Perhaps we'll get a multi-level focused rollout, where once TOS is fairly exhausted,

I agree with you on most points, but not this one. (IMO) what killed Trek before was the third wave was TOS being fairly exhausted. By the time the focus was shifted to non TOS, retailers were drowning in wave 3. You mix that with the scattered focus of waves 4 & 5 and Trek burnt out. I'd rather see two waves of some TOS variety, then maybe 2 of TNG, then 2 DS9, etc. Then when that runs it's course, you could always go back to characters that were missed. Just a thought.