UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New York Toy Fair 2012

During the chat earlier today, we learned that there was another set of figures from a video game on display that couldn't be photographed or talked about publicly, because things are still in negotiation. So... defunct line supposed to be getting new product... video game 'mates that can't be shown... anyone care to speculate? :biggrin:

Hrm. I didn't think we weren't allowed to talk about it. Let me check.

That was just me being paranoid. I thought it was probably okay to talk about them, but since I wasn't 100% sure, I didn't want to take any chances.

However, since Zach just sent 'round a breakdown of what was in the booth, I'm guessing it's okay to spill the beans:

Street Fighter X Tekken

Series 1 - June (Ken/Steve, Sagat/King, Cammy/Nina, Poison/Lili)

Series 1 (Toys R Us) - June (Ken/Steve, Sagat/King, Zangief/Marduk, Guile/Raven)

Also, an update - it looks like half of our booth pics got uploaded big and half got uploaded small. We should have 'em all nice and giant-sized shortly.

Called it ;)

As a fan of the more obscure SF characters, I'm happy to get Abel, Hugo, Juri, Ibuki and (if the leaked list is anything to go by), Elena and my main (i.e. the character I primarily use for those not familiar with the term) Dudley. Plus with rumours of Cody and Guy being in the game as well, we can get a Final Fight reunion. However I do hope they start mixing them in with the mainstream characters as the last thing I want is for the iconic ones to be in the first few waves and then it gets cancelled before I get my Dudley :S (again, if the leaked list is anything to go by). It's a shame some of my other obscure favourites - Alex, Yun, Yang and Makoto aren't scheduled to appear.

I'm also keen to see how Kuma (a bear for the non-Tekken players) is done, and Yoshimitsu's sword should be great for customisers. Plus I'd love to see the PS3 exclusives Bad Box Art Megaman, Pacman and Cole. For those not familiar with the game and/or characters, I'd suggest going here.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumps up and punches air with fist *Shoryuken*!! Yesss!!

:woot:

Street Fighter Vs Tekken. This has to happen!! of all my recent enthusiasm on the Street Fighter threads and on the figures it will be worthwhile, I'd marked down customs for both Ken & Sagat, i'll keep their names on that list until it's been confirmed and i have the chance to actually pre-order the product. It's a bonus that we'll be getting Tekken characters too, I haven't played this fighting game since the very first release but i do recognise some of the characters.

I wouldn't worry about pre-orders not justifying Expendables -- they'll be at TRU, as well. I just saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, after letting it get built up in my head for a year or so, and it actually surpassed my expectations. So amazing.

I would, however, NOT get too too excited about Tomb Raider. The reason there's only one Minimate made is that there are still a LOT of questions about the license. Of everything we showed, that is the most uncertain.

The only downside from what i've read so far is that the Tomb Raider Lara Croft Minimate might be a non-starter :confused::( that's because out of all those shown yesterday I liked this one the most, not terribly excited for Movie Mates unless it's something i've actually seen and loved, the expendables doesn't cover that category for me. I prefer Marvel Minimates to be in Comic versions rather than Movie releases. I did love the revealing of Dazzler & Longshot.

The other real issue with TR I think is who would Lara Croft be Paired with? I can't help but think because she's an individual hero type Single game (kind of like Altair in Assassins Creed), it's difficult to imagine her in a 2pack (with someone else from the game), the feasable way would be as single pack release or maybe as a Playstation 3 exclusive 4 pack, with a group of Individual Videogame Icons. Those Icons would have to be single player icons that wouldn't fit in two packs.

Something like 'DST Presents Playstation 3 Videogame Icons 4 Pack'

Lara Croft Tomb Raider

Altair Assassins Creed

Kratos God of War

Dastan Prince of Persia

Again, I know those 4 characters are quite well known and respected heroes in their own game, but primarily because the game is focused entirely on that one character and leaned towards being a Single Player Videogame, releasing them with other characters from that videogame is harder to do. Sonic, Mario, Zelda even though they focus around an individual hero all have multiplayer capabilites and have more likeable characters. Beat em ups are Multiplayer and not focused around 1 hero, so they are easier to release.

Just my thoughts on it.

Edited by Urban Saboteur

Oh and as far as Marvel Comics mates (non movie), it should be noted that fully half of the figures in wave 47 are new characters, as are 3 out of 8 of TRU wave 13. (yes I'm counting Morales as a new character) Considering the realities of mass marketing, that's not bad at all. And we managed to squeeze 3 new characters out of the best of sets, maybe four depending on how you look at it, (Maestro, She-Venom, Flash-Venom, and maybe Caveman Ult. Hulk) So that's at least 8 new characters you'll have to make room in the display for.

Looking forward to those exclusive boxed set announcements that will allegedly leave MU and ML in the dust and make me forget wanting a Titaina.

Oh, and Street Fighter v Tekken sounds cool for you game guys. Happy for you.

The other real issue with TR I think is who would Lara Croft be Paired with? I can't help but think because she's an individual hero type Single game (kind of like Altair in Assassins Creed), it's difficult to imagine her in a 2pack (with someone else from the game), the feasable way would be as single pack release or maybe as a Playstation 3 exclusive 4 pack, with a group of Individual Videogame Icons. Those Icons would have to be single player icons that wouldn't fit in two packs.

As I mentioned earlier, I think Lara would work better as part of a Crystal Dynamics wave (as I believe she isn't PS3 exclusive). Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light had some interesting DLC that allowed you to play the game as Kane and Lynch and my personal favourite Raziel and Kain from Legacy of Kain. Nothing against the people you suggested but Soul Reaver is one of my favourite games of all time and I think this is a perfect opportunity to do them as minimates.

We need pics. Also the bad thing is that the game doesn't cover all the characters from both franchises so we won't see blanka but we are gonna see vega. Strange thing is that they put ogre in the tekken licence but not armor king. I hope we will some some al customes box sets at this year's comic con.

As I mentioned earlier, I think Lara would work better as part of a Crystal Dynamics wave (as I believe she isn't PS3 exclusive). Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light had some interesting DLC that allowed you to play the game as Kane and Lynch and my personal favourite Raziel and Kain from Legacy of Kain. Nothing against the people you suggested but Soul Reaver is one of my favourite games of all time and I think this is a perfect opportunity to do them as minimates.

No absolutely, I wasn't aware that she was available in the Guardian of Light game, I dont even know what that is?? haha.

I guess judging by the way they've paired Street Fighter with Darkstalkers in the past, and now Street Fighter with Tekken, any way at all they could sneak videogame characters like Lara Croft should be encouraged by everyone.

I'd like to go on record here and say that i am really not too fussed how DST do it, just as long as I get the opportunity to buy her. Any characters I'd want DST to make, I'd rather buy them being made by DST than me have to make a custom of them! :lol:

My idea of an Icons 4 Pack was just that, an Idea or suggestion, and as I said i had no clue she'd been used as DLC in the game you mentioned. :)

Rich

pair her with kratos!!it makes sense!!!she is a hot videogame female he is a badass videogame male,they both star in single player games,soooooooo they are the perfect match!!!(kidding)I like the idea of the 4 pack but i could have done it like this:

kratos from god of war 3

lara from either game

cole from infamous 2 (i prefer his look)

solid snake from either game

The more video game mates the merrier!!

Ditto.

I really hope this line lasts long enough for us to see Dhalsim & a new M Bison.

This news is bitter/sweet, as i'd dearly love the whole cast of SFII to be made, but i'm guessing the licence wont cover Blanka, & E Honda as they aren't in the new game.

Still - very exciting news! we are inching ever closer to having SFII back :)

Edited by Nessex

pair her with kratos!!it makes sense!!!she is a hot videogame female he is a badass videogame male,they both star in single player games,soooooooo they are the perfect match!!!(kidding)I like the idea of the 4 pack but i could have done it like this:

kratos from god of war 3

lara from either game

I left out Solid Snake from MGS mostly because even though he's a videogame Icon, if he were to be made as a Minimate it's easier to have other characters from the MGS license paired with him or made into a MGS 4 Pack. The same can't be said for Lara Croft, Altair or Kratos. ;)

No absolutely, I wasn't aware that she was available in the Guardian of Light game, I dont even know what that is?

Actually, "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" was a side Tomb Raider game released in 2010. Though I have yet to play it, the game was only available via download (as far as I can recall) which is why you haven't heard of it. As mentioned, characters from other Crystal Dynamic games were available as skins (though they had their own voices and dialogue).

I guess judging by the way they've paired Street Fighter with Darkstalkers in the past, and now Street Fighter with Tekken, any way at all they could sneak videogame characters like Lara Croft should be encouraged by everyone.

I'm afraid your a little mistaken there. Darkstalkers and Street Fighter are both franchises own by Capcom and the Sony line consisted of characters belonging to Sony. Though Street Fighter and Tekken are owned by Capcom and Namco, as it's a crossover game DST has rights to characters from both franchises but I suspect only the ones from that game (so characters like Blanka and Jun won't be available to them). Lara and other Crystal Dynamic characters would be possible but Lara and three random characters may not be. Then again the Femme Fatal line has allowed some mixtures so it could be possible.

kratos from god of war 3

lara from either game

I left out Solid Snake from MGS mostly because even though he's a videogame Icon, if he were to be made as a Minimate it's easier to have other characters from the MGS license paired with him or made into a MGS 4 Pack. The same can't be said for Lara Croft, Altair or Kratos. ;)

you got a point:)

No absolutely, I wasn't aware that she was available in the Guardian of Light game, I dont even know what that is?

Actually, "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" was a side Tomb Raider game released in 2010. Though I have yet to play it, the game was only available via download (as far as I can recall) which is why you haven't heard of it. As mentioned, characters from other Crystal Dynamic games were available as skins (though they had their own voices and dialogue).

I'm afraid your a little mistaken there. Darkstalkers and Street Fighter are both franchises own by Capcom and the Sony line consisted of characters belonging to Sony. Though Street Fighter and Tekken are owned by Capcom and Namco, as it's a crossover game DST has rights to characters from both franchises but I suspect only the ones from that game (so characters like Blanka and Jun won't be available to them). Lara and other Crystal Dynamic characters would be possible but Lara and three random characters may not be. Then again the Femme Fatal line has allowed some mixtures so it could be possible.

Easy up fella, haha. I'm not that much of a newb. I'm well aware Darkstalkers is a different fighting game :lol: LoLoL.

I probably should of worded my post better :tongue:

What I meant was, despite them being seperate beat em up video games it would appear that because they've paired SF with Darkstalkers in the past and now with the recent news of SF being paired with Tekken, it would appear the SF license isn't strong enough to stand on it's own, certainly not in terms of Minimate Sales.(that's just what i'm seeing from releases and recent news)

I'd also say that SF is a niche collectable, you only have to look at the collecting of Action Figures in previous lines to see that.

Examples:

G.I.Joe SF figures weren't that popular, i particularly remember some of them pegwarming at Woolworths for a few months.

SF by Sota. Started great, and then fizzled out, they then lost the license.

SF by Neca, well i had my own reasons for not buying them, the fact they were a full 1" out of scale from Sota's previous release meant I was never going to buy in, i can go on ebay now and find the NECA releases pretty quickly as long as i'm prepared to pay the money for them.

So back to my original point, that being any particular way DST and I do mean ANY way, they can put videogame characters out for purchase, especially popular ones like Lara Croft, i'd be happy to buy into. I was completely dumbfounded with the 'Guardian of Light' game though, had no idea at all it was a Tomb Raider game, even standing on its own I'll refer back to what i said earlier, she doesnt have a host of characters to draw on from the game, not like Snake in Metal Gear Solid, or say Mario with Luigi and Yoshi.

I'd imagine if we were to see Mortal Kombat characters it would be through a videogame license similar to the SFvsTekken one, they had a game out a few years ago MK vs DC and having played that it had some of the MK characters in that were more well known, obviously with these two merged games you're always going to get characters that are left behind. Particularly in the case of more headline characters that will sell the product.

What I meant was, despite them being seperate beat em up video games it would appear that because they've paired SF with Darkstalkers in the past and now with the recent news of SF being paired with Tekken, it would appear the SF license isn't strong enough to stand on it's own, certainly not in terms of Minimate Sales.(that's just what i'm seeing from releases and recent news)

I'd also say that SF is a niche collectable, you only have to look at the collecting of Action Figures in previous lines to see that.

Examples:

G.I.Joe SF figures weren't that popular, i particularly remember some of them pegwarming at Woolworths for a few months.

SF by Sota. Started great, and then fizzled out, they then lost the license.

SF by Neca, well i had my own reasons for not buying them, the fact they were a full 1" out of scale from Sota's previous release meant I was never going to buy in, i can go on ebay now and find the NECA releases pretty quickly as long as i'm prepared to pay the money for them.

I always wanted the GI Joe SF figures by my parents would never let me buy them. I never followed the Sota or Neca lines; perhaps once they used up all the iconic characters and went into the obscure ones they lost their appeal. As for why DST can't seem to buy SF on it's own, maybe it's not available as a stand alone line and they can only get at it through combining with Darkstalkers or when it's in a crossover game. But truth be told, as long as I get a Dudley to

in my minimate collection I'm happy :D.

So back to my original point, that being any particular way DST and I do mean ANY way, they can put videogame characters out for purchase, especially popular ones like Lara Croft, i'd be happy to buy into. I was completely dumbfounded with the 'Guardian of Light' game though, had no idea at all it was a Tomb Raider game, even standing on its own I'll refer back to what i said earlier, she doesnt have a host of characters to draw on from the game, not like Snake in Metal Gear Solid, or say Mario with Luigi and Yoshi.

Maybe. Again, I said a Crystal Dynamics line because it seems more practical as a) Crystal may not like Lara paired up with rival developer's characters/DST has a Crystal licence instead of a general game licence and B) Soul Reaver is an all time favourite of mine. Seriously, play it if you haven't by now; you're missing out. FFVII has lost it's appeal to me as time went on by Soul Reaver is still an all time favourite. And thus I'd love to get a Raziel minimate outside of customising.

Are we expecting any more pics or reveals today/tonight? :unsure:

I'm quite happy with what i've seen already, assuming the SF/Tekken thing goes ahead I can cross a few more SF Minimates off my custom list. :biggrin:

You get me the press passes, I'll be there next year :)

I can't get you a press pass. MMHQ can get you a press pass, though, I bet.

Thanks, Zach. I just want it to be known, if anyone is looking for someone to represent their web site next year at Toy Fair with a special emphasis on Minimate coverage, let me know.

I am excited as hell to hear about this Street Fighter business, as well! Tekken, well. . .I'll take that means to an end! Ken, Sagat, Guile, and Zangief? Hell yeah!

Guile & Zangief were part of the old cancelled Series 2 right?

I take it they'll be using those as the base models?

post-3395-0-68227400-1329231117_thumb.jp

It's a shame Dan is dead in SFxT (killed by Kazuya in a fight), Blanka isn't in the game and the awesomness of Talbain isn't in MvC3/UMvC3 as it would otherwise mean Wave 2 finally got released.