UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spiderman Movie Mates!

Punisher

I dunno man, the way they resolved Harry's character in Spider-Man 3 was REALLY weak and tremendously disappointing after building it up through three movies. That was just plain bad writing. I mean, using the BUTLER we've seen for one minute through all three movies to resolve everything? REALLY?

Spider-Man 3 was a lazily written, total mess of a movie with great action sequences and symbiote costume design.

Edited by Brad Redfield

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiderman has always been dark and edgy, its fact, he lost his parents, then his uncle, then his girlfriend, hes fought villains that can be sicker then even Batmans, hes had a freaking alien suit that bonded to him, become a living monster....how is Spiderman not dark and edgy?

I think the point is that Spider-Man isn't JUST dark and edgy.

Batman's all about dark and edgy. Bruce WITNESSED his parents' murders. He spent the rest of his childhood through half of his twenties dwelling on how to best avenge their deaths. That's certainly not Peter Parker. I'd liken Spider-Man (the character) more to Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond, much younger and with an outlet for that rage, not unlike Robin. Terry and Dick (and later Jason and Tim) are smartasses, ready with a pun or annoying quip to psyche out their opponents. Same with Peter.

But when it comes to the films, Burt-- I mean Raimi's first Spidey movie took one big liberty – the organic web-shooters – much like Batman's vehicles were outfitted with guns and missiles. (Rubber bullets, maybe. Rubber missiles? I think not.) After careful review of the second film, that's where Schum-- I mean Raimi started testing the silly waters; that scene where a powerless Peter struts down the sidewalk without a care in the world to the tune of "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head." (There's even a cheesy freeze frame.) He went full camp with significant portions of the third film and I shudder to think where he might have taken the franchise with a follow-up.

The Amazing Spider-Man is no darker or edgier than Raimi's movies, but it does have a maturity, one that probably owes a debt to the experience learned from those earlier films. It keeps the what worked and discards what didn't, adheres to comic lore in spirit though not necessarily by page and panel. Webb delivered a good balance of humor and romance, drama and action, and handled Peter's trademark teen angst remarkably well.

This is the first film of the year that I not only want to own but am planning on seeing in theatres again.

Really, you are comparing Spider-Man 2 to a Schmacher Batman?

But ASM doesn't keep everything that worked from the first trilogy. It jettisoned JJJ, the emotion and consequence of Ben's death, the feeling of guilt and responsibility and having to face Aunt May. Apparently Peter has no friends in high school except Gwen, where's Harry? What about Peter's struggles with money? I've always liked the idea of the mechanical web shooters, but they didn't expand on that. Peter can't even afford a digital camera, how did he afford Oscorp tech, did he steal it? If so, that is a major character flaw. He didn't get money from Ben & May, because they had to emphasize that Ben had to pick up a night shift to pay for the backboard. The horrible scene with the construction cranes moving into position, nowhere near the impact of the civilians coming to Spidey's aid in 2.

There are plenty of problems with the new movie, and once the glow fades away, maybe people will be able to appreciate two filmmakers different visions.

If you think Jameson was "jettisoned" from this film, I disagree. He simply wasn't in it. Plenty of characters weren't in it but I'm confident that they will be in a future film.

And personally, Jameson was terribly one-dimensional in Raimi's movies. He was one of the aspects of those films that didn't work for me if only because he seemed like a parody of the comic character rather than an adaptation, similar to the way Burton and Schumacher portrayed Commissioner Gordon as a bloated, inept cop.

I thought they did a fine job of explaining the tech behind the web-shooters but I agree, I'd like to know how he acquired the fluid. I thought they did a better job of explaining the costume although there's still a significant leap to be made from the Spandex outfits he saw online to that bodystocking he ended up with.

Personally, I liked the crane bit. I get the impression that it was prompted as a 3D gag more than anything else but I still thought it worked even if it had a different emotional impact as Raimi's train scene.

I'm not saying the new movie's perfect, no more than Batman Begins. I'm just saying it's moving in a direction that's less silly and more mature than where Raimi seemed to be heading, and for this Spider-fan, that's a welcome change of course.

Peter didn't have any friends at high school, and didn't know Harry then... non? Also, who is to say he couldn't afford a digital camera? The old school kind are so much cooler.

Edited by dj87

I'll chime in and say I enjoyed the movie pretty much with few exceptions. One thing I did miss a bit from the originals was the lack of humor pretty much throughout the movie. Not that I want Spider-Man to be a comedy, but I think that Avengers spoiled me for seeing well placed humor in a serious comic movie. Maybe Joss Whedon can do the next Spidey movie reboot in 10 years.

It's like Mr. PL says, Marvel sends us Pantone color numbers (from the indexed color system, FYI) whenever they want us to change something. They don't say, "Huh, why'd you give him yellow eyes? That's weird. Oh, well." They tell us to change some pretty small stuff, and I specifically remember them giving us eye colors.

I am curious about the difference between the MM eye color (bronze) and the Marvel Select eye color (yellow), but that may have been a case-by-case thing. I like both.

Right on, yeah PL kind of answered the question for me as well. Like I said, sorry to complain, I guess I'm just becoming a curmudgeon and stuck on my white eyed Spidey.

And as for everyone else, first off my point wasn't to compare Batman to Spiderman. I was just saying that the reboot of the franchise felt similar as that I like this much more than the ones before so far. Also, just to state, yeah I hated Spiderman 2 and 3. The first only does something for me because it was the best Spiderman we had seen so far.

I do agree that lack JJJ is upsetting, but unless they can get the same actor then I hope they decided to keep him out of any future films completely.

I really enjoyed the style of this film in comparison to the others.

Really, you are comparing Spider-Man 2 to a Schmacher Batman?

But ASM doesn't keep everything that worked from the first trilogy. It jettisoned JJJ, the emotion and consequence of Ben's death, the feeling of guilt and responsibility and having to face Aunt May. Apparently Peter has no friends in high school except Gwen, where's Harry? What about Peter's struggles with money? I've always liked the idea of the mechanical web shooters, but they didn't expand on that. Peter can't even afford a digital camera, how did he afford Oscorp tech, did he steal it? If so, that is a major character flaw. He didn't get money from Ben & May, because they had to emphasize that Ben had to pick up a night shift to pay for the backboard. The horrible scene with the construction cranes moving into position, nowhere near the impact of the civilians coming to Spidey's aid in 2.

There are plenty of problems with the new movie, and once the glow fades away, maybe people will be able to appreciate two filmmakers different visions.

Raimi actually jettisoned the impact of Ben's death in the third movie, by changing his killer from the robber Peter didn't stop to the getaway driver outside. Peter never could have prevented Ben's death, even if he'd taken action. "With great power comes great responsibility" became "You can't catch 'em all." It's my main quibble with the film, especially since they only seemed to do it to give Peter an emotional investment in the bad guy, which I imagine they did to give him a reason to get all rage-tastic. Seems like they could have had him turn to the dark side purely from the personal stuff.

Anxious to see the new film, not sure when I will. And although I do think Peter's personal life should usually be angsty and troubled, the fight scenes should he Jackie-Chan style laugh-fests, with brilliant dialogue, which I'm not sure I've ever seen in a Raimi Spidey.

Sorry to burst your bubble about the mid credits scene :/

http://www.comicbook...s/news/?a=62961

Mysterio... Electro...

Maybe it's Adrian Toomes. After all they seem to like animals in this series. We might be seeing the Vulture coming up soon. And the guy seemed to be playing an older gentleman by the voice alone (plus the hat style.) so... Vulture?

Ever since I was 8 and read the origin of Spider-Man reprinted in a giveaway comic, I have ALWAYS HATED the mechanical webshooters (and the goofy "Spider-Signal" on his belt, lol).

I LOVED the organic ones. It just makes sense to me that he'd have that ability along with the other ones.

I liked the organic web-shooters, too. That was more logical than "spider-sense," whatever the hell that is. I know none of the spiders in MY house have spider-sense or there'd be a lot fewer crushed arachnids in the garbage.

The biggest problem I had with web-shooters was how bulky they were depicted in comics yet how magically they were concealed under that skin-tight costume, belt and all. The TV series showed them on the outside of the costume and that didn't work either. I did like the web-shooters in the new film much better but I still prefer organic.

It took Spectacular Spiderman to make me like mechanical web shooters. There's something appealing about him running out of juice. That being said, they just don't make any sense at all. Organic ones are logical and totally work, and in fact, it was years before I even knew 616 Spidey even had Mechanical web shooters. I thought it was just an Ultimate thing.

Organic all the way for me please.

I liked the notion of him running out of web fluid, too, and was wondering how Raimi would handle that organically. I actually liked his "performance anxiety" kind of answer to that classic trope.

One of the things that's STILL missing from all the Spider-Man movies is the Spider-Tracer. I'm hoping Webb finds a use for those in a followup.

The only way I can accet organic web shooting is if it came out of Spider-Man's rear, otherwise it's not a realistic spider-power. And maybe they'll reveal that the new Spidey can do that.

Back on topic, I'm hoping the success of the movie moves more mates. The last trip I took to TRU (which ended in Mnemosis yelling 'Groundhog' across the parking lot when I'd left), they had several, several cases worth of Spidey mates. I'm not sure if they over-ordered after quickly selling out of Avengers mates or what happened, but I'm hoping it doesn't bite them in the end.

When was the last time we got all of the relevant supporting characters as 'mates in a movie wave? Iron Man 2 comes close, with only Howard Stark and Armored Whiplash missing, but we at least got a version of Howard Stark with the Cap wave.

Really, only Flash Thompson is the odd one out with the ASM 'mates.

BTW, what ever happened with the Indian/Pakistani character that was pressuring Connors? The last we saw him, Lizard attacked him on the bridge and then that was it?

The only way I can [accept] organic web shooting is if it came out of Spider-Man's rear...

... I'm hoping it doesn't bite them in the end.

Nice bookends, Groundhog!

I wouldn't mind more 'mates from this film but as YouBastards points out, I'm also having a tough time figuring out who's missing.

I do have to say that I'd REALLY like a Lizard on the 2.5" body because, dayam, that character dwarfed Spidey!

Flash, Peter's parents, and maybe Rajit Ratha could be included but you'd really need a strong anchor for a second series or even a boxed set. Is there another Spider-Man variant worth doing that was missed?

Hey, what about a "With Great Power..." 4-pack with the thief, the store clerk, a wounded Uncle Ben, and grieving Peter? We've had scene-specific 'mates before and even one who was motally wounded. :happy:

I thought the movie was great. There were a few things Raimi may have done better, but overall ASM is headed in a much better direction and I'm excited to see what comes next. Sure, it would have been nice if JJJ was in it, bit there was no room. Sure the crane scene wad a little cheesy but not nearly as bad as some of the moments we had to watch in the Raimi trilogy. I thought the web shooters were really cool and the fight scenes were a huge improvement. The biggest thing that this movie lacked was the relationship between Peter and May. It was there but not as strong as the old movies. His relationship with Gwen was better for me than Tobey and Kirsten though.

I would put this movie on the level with the latest Marvel movies and ahead of the previous Spider-man movies.

Edit: That all being said, I do still enjoy the first two Spidey movies and I'm glad we got them ten years ago. The new movie doesn't erase the old ones, it's just a new start to breathe new life into the franchise

Edited by nate_studio

Is Peter's backpack removable? I just got him and I can't tell if the strap is permanently attached or just stuck through paint. I have no doubt it can be removed, I'm just worried about what sort of markings may be left over, if any.

Side note: Peter's head with the glasses makes for a pretty good Jasper Sitwell on the SHIELD agent body!