UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Decal Thread

hellpop

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so question about waterslide decals:

Can I paint on the back of a clear decal before applying? (like cel painting, but on a decal)

Like let’s say I want a clear character to have red eyes, can I make a face decal, apply some red paint to the sticky side of the decal (so it’s under the print lines and thus any bleed would be better hidden) then stick it onto the head?

or is there too limited a work time/too fragile a work surface/too sticky a surface for that to work?

i don't think that would work, the decal is super thin ones it slides off of the backing. if you don't slide it right onto the part, it tends to curl up very quickly. some go on really nice, and others give you all kinds of headaches. what I have done in the past is print out multiple decals (which i recommend anyway). one to lay one down as a base, then paint over the area you want color on. then let it dry, and place the second one overtop of that. the only tough thing is lining it up to match perfectly.

hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been working on some decals of Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark. Relatively happy with the chest, though I think she could do with having an even bigger bust. Two options for her face, winking or not winking. Not sure whether or not she needs all the lashes, so there's one with simplified lashes.

Feedback is as always encouraged and appreciated!

*Edited with combined decal sheets

Full lashes

post-3031-0-03218300-1407028887_thumb.jp

Simpler Lashes

post-3031-0-14841700-1407028885_thumb.jp

Edited by Liney

Thanks, I'm still working out the hairpiece, I guess sculpting the beehive onto an existing long hairpiece would be easiest. Plus a skirt piece with a split cut into it.

Edited by Liney

I have so many mates I want to make, but always get stuck when it comes to actually fabricating them, I normally make the decals then give up.

Elvira only came about as I was stuck on which looks for Dolly Parton and Cher... which says a lot about my taste in music buttrock.gif

Liney, this is frickin awesome! The likeness is uncanny! May I ask if you're using an existing hairpiece or sculpting? Great job!

Hey all,

How about starting with the Star Trek Rand hair?

Take care,

Matty-lad

That's a great idea, I think she's a lot easier to get too!

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome Joker Dave!

I haven't forgotten your Kate and Kathy decals, still trying to get them right.

I did find these when tidying up some files, for some reason I used the same face for both mellow.png

Not sure if I've posted them all before, I'll go back and delete any older ones.

post-3031-0-87502200-1401664021_thumb.jppost-3031-0-14645600-1401664033_thumb.jp

I've also got 2 different sized head decals, I can't recall which size is right so these might need to be resized...

Edited by Liney

Merci, I personally find her chest a bit plain, but after adding highlights it looked too busy.

I know what you mean, I would have thought with all the Thor mates she could have been slotted in somewhere by now.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if anyone could make a Blaine from Predator (Jesse Ventura) decal. I made one years ago but am not happy with it. I suck at trying to get the likeness of a person. Also an Arnold one would be awesome too. I have a few of him from the Terminator mates, but I don't think they would look right.

On a totally separate note, has anyone seen the minimate customs on ebay being sold by tonystark? I swear that a lot of those decals that he uses are taken from customizers on here. Anyone care to fill me in on whats up with him?

Edited by THE_CRIPPLER

• 5 weeks later...