UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walking Dead Minimates!

funkguerilla

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disppointment? Yes. Outrage? I'm not sure this board has seen my outrage, at least not the kind that drove Digger from his own message board back in the day. wink.png

But yeah, I don't see why DST wouldn't offer Shiva when they've offered such license-specific characters they'll never (yes, never) be able to use again. A big cat like that could easily be re-deco'd and re-accessorized to become a variety of other big cats. Hell, I didn't even know that fighting bear character (I'm not big on arcade games) but I bought one because... bear! (And this guy.)

However, it's sounding like Shiva is to The Walking Dead what Ghost Rider's bike is to Marvel.

While I can certainly appreciate man's love of animals, that's a weird comparison. We can't make vehicles for the Marvel line contractually, but I doubt there is a no-tigers clause for Warlking Dead. I also know that when we got the license, we had no idea the opportunity to make a tiger would arise, so we probably estimated what tooling costs would be for each wave when we negotiated the guarantee, royalties, etc. Next to the licensing, the tooling is the biggest cost we pay, so we need to know that going in.

With MvC3, I think we assumed that half of the figures would be little or no tooling, and the others would mostly require new parts. So making a flaming dog-deity fit in with our cost analysis. Walking Dead gets its share of new zombie parts, but it's also mostly civilians wearing clothes. I think sales have leveled off with the increasing amount of TWD merch out there, so I can't imagine we're looking to increase the tooling significantly, but it may just be that the line planners wanted to focus on comic characters that would resonate with people who watched the TV show.

Do I think a tiger would be awesome, a must-have Minimate in the line? Sure. Do I think it'd be tricky to make look good on a Minimate body? Yes, but I'm sure we could do it, given time. Would it look awkward in packaging? ..Probably. Okami came out great, as did the Terror Dogs, but each had their packaging problems. Also, those two were characters seen by millions of players/viewers. TWD issues top out at somethign like 400K, and that's when LootCrate buys some. Not small change, especially when we're selling to comic shops, but a casual TWD fan might wonder WTF.

Like I said, I think a zombie vs. tiger set would be great, and it might remind zombie fans of the zombie fighting the shark in Zombie 2, I just think there are many factors that go into planning a Minimates assortment, and tigers are a bit of a game-changer to the current TWD mathematical formula. But depending on how long Shiva survives, I don't see why we couldn't make him in the future.

I was unaware of WTF you guys were talking about.......now I'm up to speed & I can see the arguments for & against a minimate tiger.

I kinda reckon we won't see one purely because of its name ...use that name in a comic-book & you might get away with it but go mainstream with it on the TV & a toy & you're going to get a ton of Hindus knocking on your door.

You may also get some Jewish folk getting irritated .

Odd choice of name for the Tiger ? no.gif 'Shiva' is Hebrew for 'seven' ....historically a 'shiva' is a week long mourning period for a close relative . Personally I wouldn't wait around for a week in Kirkman's world.

Hey Zach, just thinking about TWD mates and am surprised we haven't had bloody and messed up versions of previous releases.

I'm guessing this is this something DST wouldn't want to do, as it may offend kids and parents?

I only ask as I don't see TWD as a property suitable for children anyway and think it's an easy way for you to get a little more out of old product as well as getting more TWD Minimates into our hands.

I appreciate the recent Carl, Rick and his stump and The Governor without his arm, but they are all quite not offensive to look at.

Thinking about it a little more, the Marvel Zombies and TWD zombies are pretty messed up, so a precedent has been set for this type of MM.

We live in an era where certain people seek offense. Even when they're not personally offended, they're self-appointed advocates for those who might be offended.

In that case, offending people is unavoidable. From a business standpoint, you just have to weigh the risks.

Is a grandmother in Atlanta who catches her 12-year-old grandson playing with TWD Minimates going to raise a stink by sending an email to DST? Sure. Will DST respond by ceasing the distribution of such products to stores children might frequent? I hope not.

If parents find something offensive, they have the choice to not buy it. However, they should not have the right to take that choice away from others just because of what might happen.

Parent your own kids. I'll take care of mine.

We live in an era where certain people seek offense. Even when they're not personally offended, they're self-appointed advocates for those who might be offended.

In that case, offending people is unavoidable. From a business standpoint, you just have to weigh the risks.

Is a mother in florida who catches her 12-year-old grandson playing with TWD Minimates going to raise a stink by sending an email to TRU ? Sure. Will TRU respond by ceasing the distribution of such products to stores children might frequent? Yes.

If parents find something offensive, they have the choice to not buy it. However, they should not have the right to take that choice away from others just because of what might happen.

Parent your own kids. I'll take care of mine.

Fixed that for you. smile.png

Edited by Ninja Mate

Hey Zach, just thinking about TWD mates and am surprised we haven't had bloody and messed up versions of previous releases.

I'm guessing this is this something DST wouldn't want to do, as it may offend kids and parents?

I only ask as I don't see TWD as a property suitable for children anyway and think it's an easy way for you to get a little more out of old product as well as getting more TWD Minimates into our hands.

I appreciate the recent Carl, Rick and his stump and The Governor without his arm, but they are all quite not offensive to look at.

Thinking about it a little more, the Marvel Zombies and TWD zombies are pretty messed up, so a precedent has been set for this type of MM.

Well, we did these:

fig1660flg.jpgfig1616flg.jpgfig1534f2lg.jpgfig1493flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan!) But I don't know why we haven't done bloody versions, from wading through zombies. That would be pretty cool, actually, especially for the Alexandria crew. Maybe we just thought the humans should be not as gruesome as the zombies? Which is the oposite of the point of the comic, I guess. I'm gonna pitch a bloody box set! I even know who should be in it...

And you'd be surprised how many kids love The Walking Dead, and how few adults see a problem with death or violence as opposed to sex or drugs.

Do they stil have arcades? biggrin.png

I'm hoping for one in the inevitable 90's X-Factor wave...

406px-Ohitsme--ARCADE.jpg

>Even if we got it, wouldnt it be about this size?

413564_orig.jpg

I'd hope not. While, yes, Lockjaw is HUGE in the comics, the Terror Dogs were smaller than a tiger in Ghostbusters, but they got regular-sized figures.

I was basing it off the size of the picture MisterPL posted.

DRJSiPWl.jpg

Shiva might be a little small for that purpose.

Well, we did these:

fig1660flg.jpgfig1493flg.jpgfig1534f2lg.jpgfig1493flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan!) But I don't know why we haven't done bloody versions, from wading through zombies. That would be pretty cool, actually, especially for the Alexandria crew. Maybe we just thought the humans should be not as gruesome as the zombies? Which is the oposite of the point of the comic, I guess. I'm gonna pitch a bloody box set! I even know who should be in it...

And you'd be surprised how many kids love The Walking Dead, and how few adults see a problem with death or violence as opposed to sex or drugs.

Please do pitch it... could breath new life into every human released so far.

Disppointment? Yes. Outrage? I'm not sure this board has seen my outrage, at least not the kind that drove Digger from his own message board back in the day. wink.png

But yeah, I don't see why DST wouldn't offer Shiva when they've offered such license-specific characters they'll never (yes, never) be able to use again. A big cat like that could easily be re-deco'd and re-accessorized to become a variety of other big cats. Hell, I didn't even know that fighting bear character (I'm not big on arcade games) but I bought one because... bear! (And this guy.)

However, it's sounding like Shiva is to The Walking Dead what Ghost Rider's bike is to Marvel.

While I can certainly appreciate man's love of animals, that's a weird comparison. We can't make vehicles for the Marvel line contractually, but I doubt there is a no-tigers clause for Warlking Dead. I also know that when we got the license, we had no idea the opportunity to make a tiger would arise, so we probably estimated what tooling costs would be for each wave when we negotiated the guarantee, royalties, etc. Next to the licensing, the tooling is the biggest cost we pay, so we need to know that going in.

With MvC3, I think we assumed that half of the figures would be little or no tooling, and the others would mostly require new parts. So making a flaming dog-deity fit in with our cost analysis. Walking Dead gets its share of new zombie parts, but it's also mostly civilians wearing clothes. I think sales have leveled off with the increasing amount of TWD merch out there, so I can't imagine we're looking to increase the tooling significantly, but it may just be that the line planners wanted to focus on comic characters that would resonate with people who watched the TV show.

Do I think a tiger would be awesome, a must-have Minimate in the line? Sure. Do I think it'd be tricky to make look good on a Minimate body? Yes, but I'm sure we could do it, given time. Would it look awkward in packaging? ..Probably. Okami came out great, as did the Terror Dogs, but each had their packaging problems. Also, those two were characters seen by millions of players/viewers. TWD issues top out at somethign like 400K, and that's when LootCrate buys some. Not small change, especially when we're selling to comic shops, but a casual TWD fan might wonder WTF.

Like I said, I think a zombie vs. tiger set would be great, and it might remind zombie fans of the zombie fighting the shark in Zombie 2, I just think there are many factors that go into planning a Minimates assortment, and tigers are a bit of a game-changer to the current TWD mathematical formula. But depending on how long Shiva survives, I don't see why we couldn't make him in the future.

SPOILERS

hate to break it to ya but shiva only lasted about ten issues, and its a she

Now I'm going to have to go through my movie collection and find the title of the Zombie film that has 2 zombie tigers attacking a group of survivors.