UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walking Dead Minimates!

funkguerilla

...Shiva is a tiger.

And Amaterasu is a wolf. What's your point? That TWD isn't as bankable as Marvel vs. Capcom?

You people need to think long term. You'll probably never be able to use that Amaterasu tooling again but a tiger? That's something that's got value.

Do we need to have a bake sale? Put on a musical (called "Never Say Never")? What?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides of the Shiva mate debate-but I ultimately think its bankable and one a fair few people want.

As for Axel-they just died the black and white re paints of some older figures,I think Axel was more well loved than someone like Derek the scavenger tbh. If we hadn't got soooo many Rick variants,we probably could have had him by now,along with Thomas,Otis,Patricia and Billy (Billy would be an easy one,all you need is a head sculpt and re use the riot gear!) :P

No Aaron and Heath either!!!??

Edited by CarlGrimes

I don't disagree with some of the points, but that just seems a bit harsh.

I didn't think it was harsh. My harsh is pretty harsh. If Zach takes it as harsh, I apologize. Totally not my intent. I was just being straightforward in the beginning by comparing a line that only lasted three series (despite being attached to Marvel) to one that's going on its eighth. Just trying to figure out what the criteria is for a tiger, if there is one.

Then I went all Little Rascals, "Let's put on a show!" Crowd-funding back in my day wasn't the online panhandling it is today. We actually did stuff to raise money. Assuming the reluctance to offer Shiva has something to do with money. It's usually that or "there's no room in the package/on the die" but if they can make a wolf work with Thor...

I didn't think it was harsh. My harsh is pretty harsh. If Zach takes it as harsh, I apologize. Totally not my intent. I was just being straightforward in the beginning by comparing a line that only lasted three series (despite being attached to Marvel) to one that's going on its eighth. Just trying to figure out what the criteria is for a tiger, if there is one.

Then I went all Little Rascals, "Let's put on a show!" Crowd-funding back in my day wasn't the online panhandling it is today. We actually did stuff to raise money. Assuming the reluctance to offer Shiva has something to do with money. It's usually that or "there's no room in the package/on the die" but if they can make a wolf work with Thor...

Ah I see, sometimes it's hard to read a tone when you don't hear the voice behind it. And like I said, I don't disagree, I think long-term planning would be beneficial to this line, and definitely the Marvel line.

Ah I see, sometimes it's hard to read a tone when you don't hear the voice behind it. And like I said, I don't disagree, I think long-term planning would be beneficial to this line, and definitely the Marvel line.

You would think they would plan more long term with this line though

ya know just sayin axel was a fan favorite character that was also one of the few characters robert kirkman ever regretted killing and yet weve had 10 ricks 7 michonnes and 4 glenns and derek the only character in the history of the line that i honestly had no idea who he was, amy, a character that appeared in 4 issues and is only know for dying and dexter a character that was significantly less popular than axel and was a decent pegwarmer,before axel

Not harsh, just... uninformed? Sorry, PL. biggrin.png

Tooling and line longevity are VERY closely related. (For those who do not know, tooling is where you cut the sculpted parts out of a block of solid steel, over a long period of time and at great expense.)

MvC lasted two series because most of the Capcom characters needed a lot of new, unique, bulky parts. (For instance, Hsien-Ko.) Mediocre sales (and, I imagine, no TRU support after Series 2) meant future orders would likely not support the high tooling cost.

Walking Dead is all humans and zombies. We can re-use jackets and holsters and guts, the new tooling is manageable, and TRU is on board, which certainly helps. Hence, 8 waves 9 waves.

Tiger parts would take up a lot of space in the tool, and while you could say they would be useful in the future, I'm not sure that being able to make MOST of a Zabu with them is an investment that's going to pay off in a big way. (Axel would also have been a lot of tooling, just due to his size and outfit, but he might have come in handy later.)

Marvel has lasted 60 series because of mass support, but also because they're mostly heroically proportioned humans, giving us the ability to re-use masks and gloves and boots. If every Godzilla character shared the same tooling, the line's future would be less of a question mark.

Oh, and Amy was a one-per-case variant of her twin sister, that just made sense. And no offense to Axel, but Derek did a lot more in four issues than Axel did in the entire prison arc. I liked Axel, too, but I'd rather have gotten a Thomas.

Edited by DSTZach

If I was uninformed I wouldn't have offered a bake sale to help pay for tooling. I know the score. ;)

Some things just seem... inconsistent. I really don't think one tiger is going to stop this line or Marvel's in its tracks like you imply the wolf did to Capcom's.

Like you said, there was a lot more new sculpting with MvC but far less with TWD and Marvel. Seems like you'd get twice the longevity from a tiger you could offer in two lines than a stylized wolf that's limited to one. (Or characters like that big-headed Marvel chap and his floating chair, for that matter.)

Just let us know how much the tooling is and we'll go halfsies. :)

Knowing that tooling costs money and understanding why some lines have less are two different things, PL.

Saying that one wolf broke MvC is a misrepresentation of what I said; sales and future tooling costs were most likely the issue; the license may have even run out, and diminishing returns would make it unattractive to renew.

And saying TWD "deserves" one tiger ignores things like tooling budgets and the fact that the overall brand is mainly known for its humans and zombies. Calling the relatively short-lived Shiva any sort of a player would be overstating. (Whereas Amaterasu was an actual playable character.)

But if you want to Ask Chuck for a tiger, I'm not stopping you. I already asked, a year ago, and we're moving forward in the story, but maybe you'll have more luck.

Edited by DSTZach

Might be worth asking for a Shiva mate then-perhaps even an Axel and Billy/Thomas prison two pack ( they could just do two seperate head scults of Billy and Thomas with the generic prison jumpsuit body or the riot gear for Billy. That wouldn't be hard right?)

What's the chance of getting a Jessie Anderson mate? This series has so much potential for characters

I was just thinking-we only need one more RIck variant for a good long while,and that's for his time jump look. We have too many Ricks!haha

Ideally,we need-Lydia,an updated Maggie,Aaron,Heath,Nicholas,Dante,Ken,Magna and perhaps a Gregory.

When it comes to Lydia,I think she would need 3 hair pieces (one with cowboy hat,zombie hair and the last her normal blonde hair) plus two heads (her normal face and a whisperer zombie masked one)

We're moving forward, not backward.

I have to ask, what's the plan when DST gets caught up to the comic? 12 issues a year means you will either have to reduce the amount of new waves produced at LCS/TRU, or will you then go backwards to fill in holes? Otherwise we'll be overwhelmed with newer characters/looks (many of maybe minor importance) while many older (and some may argue more important) characters/looks go overlooked. Does DST have a plan for when Minimate production gets caught up to story, because it isn't that far off?

I think we're more or less there with Series 9, but Ask DST! I think the breadth of the present day world in TWD allows for a much wider array of characters than previous eras, and I think timeliness well help the line in certain ways, but I can see how it would be nice to go back. Maybe an RIP wave, since they're all dead.

And yeah, Carl, I work for DST.

That's a good point. Would be a good way to plug the holes by going back and revisiting some older characters like Axel/Billy/Thomas/Duane (who they could do a zombie/alive head like Holly).

As for going back,they have Chris in the latest wave.he was before Douglas and Jesus!

Oh cool Zach-good job I bet! Yeah,an RIP wave could be great!